The schedule;

Game 1 @ CHATHAM, THURSDAY, MARCH 3 – 7:00PM
Game 2 @ ST. THOMAS , FRIDAY, MARCH 4 – 7:30PM
Game 3 @ CHATHAM, SUNDAY, MARCH 6 – 7:00PM
Game 4 @ ST. THOMAS, TUESDAY, MARCH 8 – 7:30PM
Game 5 @ CHATHAM, THURSDAY, MARCH 10 – 7:00PM
Game 6 @ ST. THOMAS- FRIDAY, MARCH 11 – 7:30PM
Game 7 @ CHATHAM – SUNDAY, MARCH 13 – 7:00 PM
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Re: #4 Chatham vs #5 St.Thomas playoff thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

Maroons Demolish Lincolns 13-4

The Chatham Maroons finished their regular season with huge 13-4 win over the St. Marys Lincolns on Sunday.

The Maroons gained a big 5-0 lead in the first period, which they extended to 10-3 by the end of the second. St. Marys was only able to score once more in the third, and Chatham finished the game by adding another three goals before the buzzer.

Maroons forward Steven Beenakers scored twice in the win. He says the win was a great way to end the regular season and start the playoff season.

“We’re excited to get it going and no matter who we’re going to go up against, we know we’re going to go into the playoffs flying,” he says. “We want to make a long run out of this.”

The Maroons will face the St. Thomas Stars in the first round of the GOJHL playoffs.

https://blackburnnews.com/chatham/chath ... incolns-2/

Heading into the playoffs with all the confidence in the world! :D :smt006
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

Both teams are evenly matched.
• Offensively I give the edge to Chatham
• Defensively it’s even
• Goaltending edge goes to St. Thomas
I predict Chatham in 6 games
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Sarnia Observer;
(4) Chatham Maroons (32-16-1-1) vs (5) St. Thomas Stars (27-19-2-2)

Season series: Chatham 4-2-0-0 St. Thomas 2-3-0-1

Goals head-to-head: Chatham 27 St. Thomas 23

Special teams: Chatham 19% PP, 84% PK; St. Thomas 19% PP, 88% PK

Leading scorers: Chatham – Ian Faubert 23G, 77P; St. Thomas – Carson Brookshaw 35G, 72P

The Maroons are coming in red hot.

The team won eight of nine games to conclude the regular season, and it is averaging just under seven goals per game with a 13-tally performance to draw the curtain on the campaign Sunday.

As for the Stars, they won just two of their final six contests.

The clubs haven't crossed paths since a 6-1 Chatham victory in early January.

Faubert, a 20-year-old forward from Wheatley, was the 11th highest scorer among the trio of conferences; only Ethan Sarfati of Lambton Shores had more points in the west. But Carson Brookshaw paced the conference with 35 goals, more than tripling the previous year's output for the 18-year-old forward from Thorndale.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

From the Chatham daily news;
Maroons to host Stars in playoff opener

By Mark Malone, Chatham Daily News
Thursday, March 3, 2016 3:01:40 EST AM

The Chatham Maroons have said for months they want to be playing their best when the post-season begins.

They may have gotten their wish.

The Maroons' spirits are sky-high after ending the regular season by winning eight of nine games.

They'll try to continue their roll Thursday when the St. Thomas Stars visit Memorial Arena at 7 p.m. for Game 1 in their GOJHL Western Conference quarter-final.

“We're all very confident because with the kind of guys we have in the room, we know what we can do,” Maroons all-star defenceman Connor McKinnon said. “We just have to prove it.”

The fourth-place Maroons (32-16-1-1) won the season series 4-2. They finished eight points ahead of the fifth-place Stars (27-19-2-2).

The Maroons are more concerned with their own play than with the Stars or any other potential opponent, McKinnon said.

“You want to match up lines if you can,” he said. “You look at their No. 1 guys and really focus on them on the ice. But when it comes down to it, if you're playing your best, then you're going to win, I think.

“We've got the better team overall. Our rookies are good, our overage players are really good, so I think overall if we play our best, then it doesn't really matter who we play.”

Last year, the second-seeded Maroons were upset by the seventh-seeded London Nationals in the first round. It's still a sore subject in the locker-room.

Only six players – McKinnon, Michael Levesque, Ian Faubert, Gus Ford, Steven Beenackers, Mark Fratarcangeli and Gus Ford – remain from last year's team. (Teddy McGeen was called up for the playoffs from the Blenheim Blades.)

“We don't talk about it too much with the young guys,” said McKinnon, 20. “Some of them bring it up and kind of pick at us a little bit, but we just want to forget about it and go on with this year.”

The Maroons are seeking their third trip to the Western final in four years.

Beenackers, 20, was a rookie when the Maroons lost to the London Nationals in the 2013 final. He's telling the current rookies the same thing he was told back then.

“We have a great team, a chance to do something special,” he said. “We made the most of it (in 2013) and we came up short. I'm fortunate enough now to be back on another team with enough skill and character that we could possibly go pretty far in playoffs.

“It's a special opportunity and we just can't take it for granted.”

The Maroons rely heavily on their talented rookie forwards, but they're also loaded with veterans. Nine players – forwards Declan Conway, Chris Corgan, Faubert, Fratarcangeli and Ford, defencemen Ryan Fraser, McKinnon and Levesque, and goalie Parker Butler – are in their final junior season.

Beenackers admits he didn't fully appreciate reaching the final as a rookie. He doesn't want his younger teammates to make the same mistake.

“Obviously, for some of the guys, it may be hard for them to grasp the moment and see what's in front of them,” he said. “But as a leader now and an older guy, it really hits you when you realize you've only got, for myself, I've only got a year left, and some of these guys are done after this year. You want to make the most of every game.”

The Stars are led by Western MVP Carson Brookshaw, who had 35 goals and 72 points. Defenceman Jake Reed of Chatham had 23 points in 43 games.

The Maroons led the Western Conference in scoring for the fourth consecutive year with 248 goals. It was also the third straight year they ranked in the top two in the entire Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.

They were fifth in the conference in goals allowed (176), but McKinnon is confident that won't be an issue in the playoffs.

“In the regular season, we probably let in more goals than we wanted to,” he said. “I think as the year's progressed, our defence has gotten a lot better as a whole. We're getting a lot better when we've got all the guys in the lineup.”
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Chatham rallies for game one win

Down 3-1 going into the 3rd period Chatham stormed back with 3 unanswered goals to win game one by a score of 4-3.

Butler was pulled after allowing 2 goals on 6 shots. Johnston was solid in relief stopping 18 of 19 shots. St.Thomas went with Dampier who was solid stopping 31 of 35 shots.

Go Chatham! :D
mrunsfan

Post by mrunsfan »

This game was a wake-up call for Chatham. Dampier was excellent in net, especially in the first few minutes of the game as Chatham was all over the Stars and could have easily been up a couple themselves. Again in the second Chatham was guilty of turning their back on the play a few times....missed opportunities again. By the third period Chatham started to play like a team and it showed on the scoreboard.
I was not a fan of the men in stripes, two or three blatant penalties seen by them and not called as well as a couple of too many men not picked up by the linesmen. How can you not see 7 skaters?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Maroons up 2-0 in series

After a 5-2 win tonight the Maroons now have a comfortable 2-0 series lead. It looks like they really showed up to play this game.

The next game will be harder, St.Thomas won't want to be in an 0-3 hole. So hopefully the Maroons stick to what they did tonight in game 3.

Go Maroons! :)

Here's a link to the Chatham daily news article about game 1;
http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/03/ ... -in-opener
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I am hoping the top 4 seeds move on, Would set up 2 amazing semi final series. Chatham vs Leamington and London vs LaSalle.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:I am hoping the top 4 seeds move on, Would set up 2 amazing semi final series. Chatham vs Leamington and London vs LaSalle.
That would be epic! I'm guessing it'll happen.

Both series would be very physical too. He he... :smt076 :smt067 :smt066 :smt062 :smt041
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I think Leamington and Chatham would get just as crazy in the stands lol what a rivalry
End of a era in Leamington
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Chatham just looked like the better squad tonight. They out worked the stars in every area. I would have assumed between the coaching staff of the year and mvp, the stars could be a better opponent, faubert looks like he should have been crowned mvp. I know it's not over yet but if tonight is any indication this won't go past 4.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Chatham in 4 but Dampier could steal one.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Chatham one win away from advancing

This series is pretty much over. 7-2 tonight, including 5 3rd period Chatham goals to secure the win. Keep the foot on the gas, the 4th win is always the hardest. Plus, don't wan't to develop any bad habits heading into the 2nd round.

Go Chatham!!! :) :smt033 :smt079
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I really thought St. Thomas would make this series closer than they have.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

St.Thomas avoids elimination

Chatham fell behind by a few goals early. They turned things up after that but still came up short 5-4.
Need to get a full 60 minutes in game 5. Don't want to develop bad habits at this time of the season! :smt079

Go Chatham!

http://www.stthomastimesjournal.com/201 ... rce-game-5
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Shots 52-28 in favour of Chatham. This was the game Dampier was capable of stealing. Doing it again in Chatham will be a tall order to fill.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Similar to the London-Strathroy series this was the one win St.Thomas was able to squeak out at home. Good for them but Chatham ends this series at home where they have dominated as of late. Rozeler will be happy after getting eliminated by the 7 seed last season. Chatham-Leamington will be a great series, it's not a slam dunk for Leamington at all.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Stars put Dampier on Maroons' celebration

By Mark Malone, Chatham Daily News
Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:48:50 EST AM

ST. THOMAS – The Chatham Maroons' third-period magic deserted them Tuesday.

They couldn't muster a comeback and failed to complete a sweep of the St. Thomas Stars, losing 5-4 in front of 505 fans at the Timken Centre.

The Maroons still lead 3-1 in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League's Western Conference quarter-final.

They'll try again to eliminate the Stars on Thursday in Game 5 (Memorial Arena, 7 p.m.).

The Maroons built their 3-0 series lead by dominating the third period. They outscored the Stars by a combined 9-1 in the final period of the first three games.

The Maroons trailed 4-3 after two periods in Game 4, but head coach Tyler Roeszler said he and the players were confident they'd be able to pull out the win.

“We felt like we were going to find a way to win that game,” he said, “and if it wasn't for their goalie, we would have. But that's the game of hockey.”

Stars goaltender Nikolas Dampier made 48 saves. He was back in net after being benched for Game 3.

Austin Thompson had two goals for the Maroons. His linemates, Steven Beenackers and Ian Faubert, also scored as the trio combined for eight points.

The Stars led 4-1 after the first period, but the Maroons came to life in the second. They outshot the Stars 23-4 and tallied twice for a 4-3 score at the second intermission.

However, the Maroons failed to score on their four power plays in the second period.

“We had multiple chances,” Roeszler said. “Their goalie made eight to 10 point-blank saves he had no business making.

“Their goalie was the difference in the game tonight.”

Ethan Nother of the Stars scored 2:45 into the third period for a 5-3 lead, but Thompson replied 1:04 later with his second goal of the night.

The Maroons outshot the Stars 14-9 in the third, but they couldn't get another past Dampier.

Maroons goalie Brendan Johnston was pulled after allowing four goals on 15 shots in the first period. Parker Butler played the next two frames, giving up only one goal on 13 shots but getting tagged with the loss.

Each Maroons goalie has been pulled once in the series. Roeszler wouldn't name Thursday's starter.

Call-up Kyle Dawson of the Dresden Kings helped the Stars get off to a great start. He scored 45 seconds into the game and then assisted on Nother's first goal at 3:21 for a 2-0 lead.

“It was a bad 10 minutes at the start of the game that cost us,” Roeszler said.

Spencer Hutchinson, on a power play, and Beenackers traded goals less than a minute apart before Carson Moniz scored for the Stars on another power play with 44 seconds left in the first period.

Thompson scored on a tip-in at 8:59 of the second period and Faubert followed at 12:37 for a 4-3 game.

Aside from the poor start, Roeszler was as happy with the Maroons' play as he was in the first three games.

“We'll get back to practice tomorrow and regroup and hopefully close it out Thursday,” he said.

Also Tuesday, the Strathroy Rockets avoided a sweep with a 5-0 win over the London Nationals.

Alec DeKoning of Wallaceburg scored for the Sarnia Legionnaires in an 8-5 win over the LaSalle Vipers. Their series is tied 2-2.

NOTES: Defenceman Aaron Jacobs made his Maroons playoff debut. He replaced Dede Cato, who served a one-game suspension for his game misconduct in the final 10 minutes of Game 3. … Chatham was 0-for-4 and St. Thomas was 2-for-4 on the power play. … Dawson finished with three points. He was the Great Lakes Junior 'C' rookie of the year this season.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

St.Thomas eliminated

Chatham looks to have played a strong game tonight. With tonight's 6-1 win it's wait and see for the 2nd round.

There's a strong possibility Chatham will play London next. Revenge would be sweet. Also a better opponent then the Flyers, IMO.

Go Chatham!!! 8) 8) 8)