Cost For Teams

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

lunarist

Cost For Teams

Post by lunarist »

Does anyone know if any teams still provide a bus for away games? I've read in previous posts that some teams might even provide sticks. I find it hard to believe that teams can truly afford sticks considering they are like $300 each and some teams have much lower gate revenue so the cost to run a team could easily out way the revenue.

Maybe I'm missing something but do the owners actually subsidize their teams with their other revenue streams?

Lunarist
RecKing

Re: Cost For Teams

Post by RecKing »

All teams in the West contract a bus company and a few have bought their own buses over the last 20 years to provide transportation for most away games (exception is where it is an easy traveling distance where players or parents can drive. When there was inter-conference play all teas had buses to take them to the long distance contests. For every team it is a vital part of their budgets.
lunarist

Post by lunarist »

Thanks for the reply,

Not much of inter-conference play now and that's why I was curious to see if teams still had busses from back in the day. I'm not sure what GOJHL considers a short distance so they do not have to provide transportation for their players. I would think they would have a rule somewhere that says if you have to travel over 'x' amount of km's to get to the game than transportation would be provided.
OutsideLookingIn

Post by OutsideLookingIn »

Teams in the West provide bus's for all away games. Also, in regards to sticks some teams allot 2-4 sticks (depending on seniority of player) free, after that you may receive discounts on sticks if you need more. Teams hold golf tourneys, fundraisers etc. to pay for sticks.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I've often seen London, Komoka, Strathroy, St. Thomas, St. Marys have their players/staff drive to each other's rinks, sometimes even to Sarnia. Coach busses would be provided for trips to Chatham, LaSalle, Leamington and usually Sarnia. Likewise Chatham, LaSalle and Leamington would need busses to go to London, Komoka, Strathroy, St. Thomas, St. Marys and Sarnia. I believe Leamington and LaSalle have their players/staff drive to each other's rinks. It can vary a bit from year to year depending on the team's financial situation or the direction taken by the owner(s)/ownership group or the board of directors for St. Marys and Strathroy as they have no owner paying the bills. Sticks are a similar situation. Teams will deep pockets will provide more, others will provide vouchers for sticks a couple times a season. With the playoffs cut short last year some clubs have generated less revenue and it could change the situation.
Aaron Wiebe

Post by Aaron Wiebe »

Leamington usually gets there players to drive to LaSalle and Chatham. All other places they get a bus provided
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

All Midwest teams bus their teams to away games. I've seen Waterloo/Kitchener take buses literally 15 min down the road to each other's rinks.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Another factor that comes into bussing is biletting. A team that billets a high number of players, and they do not have cars, need transportation to get to games.