GOJHL 2020/2021 Season discussion

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

OutsideLookingIn

GOJHL 2020/2021 Season discussion

Post by OutsideLookingIn »

I understand all of the what if's that are surrounding hockey in general along with when or if the season season starts, but my biggest question after reading some info in the Midwest forum "Somethings cooking" is, how many teams will be taking a year off from this upcoming season? Which teams would you think? (haven't heard a peep out of Caledonia)
Will Buffalo be allowed to cross the border..I doubt it? Actually, not a big loss there in my opinion.
Will there be a push again by better established teams to break away and make a push to try to designate or join Tier II Jr A? Honestly it doesn't sound like roses, rainbows and buttercups between teams, GM's and the league again.
BeenThereDoneThat

Re: GOJHL 2020/2021 Season discussion

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

A bigger question may be is , how long will the current GOJHL Board and Commish stay in place after fumbling and stumbling in their leadership roles.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

OutsideLookingIn wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:05 pm I understand all of the what if's that are surrounding hockey in general along with when or if the season season starts, but my biggest question after reading some info in the Midwest forum "Somethings cooking" is, how many teams will be taking a year off from this upcoming season? Which teams would you think? (haven't heard a peep out of Caledonia)
Will Buffalo be allowed to cross the border..I doubt it? Actually, not a big loss there in my opinion.
Will there be a push again by better established teams to break away and make a push to try to designate or join Tier II Jr A? Honestly it doesn't sound like roses, rainbows and buttercups between teams, GM's and the league again.
Make the push for Junior "A'? I think, with the current group, that is not on the agenda. And quite frankly, why would the OJHL/OHA support the leagues bid for Junior "A"...they have already established their own Tier II footprint in the GOJHLs backyard thanks to the current GOJHL leadership..sorry..the current GOJHL "lack of" leadership!

I still am unsure on how the decision to have a Tier II team in Brantford came about. That has to be the most assinine, not asinine, but ASSinine decisions every made by any hockey league. Who gave the green light for that to happen? Especially considering the animosity between the GO and the OJ going back to the application for Tier II and the revelation of a secret OHA/OJHL agreement. what was the determining factor in the decision and what did the GOJHL get out of it? Right now, this league is the ugly stepsister of hockey in this province! She she gets a seat at the dinner table but she has no input on the menu!

I constantly hear that some owners are looking to increase the value of their franchises. How do you expect to do that with absolutely no plan in place!! Well, you changed the website but that was "in the works" for almost three years! That was the best you could come up with in those three years? The time for some new blood was a long time ago...but this league cannot decide on anything! Is there no pride with the members of this league? Have once proud franchises like St. Catharines, Niagara Falls, Waterloo, Stratford, Elmira, Listowel, St. Mary's, Chatham, London, Sarnia just forgotten about the history of Junior B and these storied franchises? These teams and many others have been around a helluva long time!! They have produced many great players over the years. They were once a leader in placing kids at the NCAA level....that has all stopped! Why? Because the OHA pushes the OJHL as the "League of Choice"? Barf!! They are only the League of Choice because that is what they and the OJHL influenced OHA Board want you to believe! Chart your course and get on with it..before kids start leaving your loop to go play in the Greater Metro Junior League!!
OutsideLookingIn

And so it begins.... Buffalo jr Sabres of the OJ taking a year sabbatical due to the current climate, will return for 21-22 season. Which means the Buffalo Regals are not far behind... only a matter of time.
drafty

Post by drafty »

And so it begins.... Buffalo jr Sabres of the OJ taking a year sabbatical due to the current climate, will return for 21-22 season. Which means the Buffalo Regals are not far behind... only a matter of time.
This isn't a surprise, since U.S. based teams wouldn't be able to cross the border. But the point is likely moot anyways. There is no way that junior (or any other non-NHL) leagues will be able to operate this year. There wouldn't be any fans in the stands, the safety protocols would too costly for most teams even if local governments would allow use of the arenas and, if I was a parent of a player, there is no way I would send them into that situation right now. I think we're looking at a year without local hockey.
OutsideLookingIn

It’s interesting the the OJ has released an update on their return to play .... but yet crickets can only be heard from those in charge of the GOJHL. Why?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Maybe a full plan has yet to be put in place.

Why does everyone NEED to know EVERYTHING the league is thinking?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

It has been almost 5 months since the League shut down.How long does it take to put a plan
in place with contingencies, then update the plan every 2 weeks.

The OJ has done it, the CCHL has done it.

Sponsors and fans would like to know if the GOJHL even has a plan or has the OHF/OHA not told
them what to say

It would be nice if the TEAMS knew what the LEAGUE was planning.
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:24 pm It has been almost 5 months since the League shut down.How long does it take to put a plan
in place with contingencies, then update the plan every 2 weeks.

The OJ has done it, the CCHL has done it.

Sponsors and fans would like to know if the GOJHL even has a plan or has the OHF/OHA not told
them what to say

It would be nice if the TEAMS knew what the LEAGUE was planning.
True that........and how about the players? They are committing to teams and I am sure that they and their parents would like to know the strategies in place. They are the most important ones in all this.
OutsideLookingIn

If the OJ and CCHL plans are to play with out fans.... how’s that any different than any other year? Except for a few teams that draw 500 fans
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Premier Ford has made it quite clear that Ontario will remain in Stage 3 until a vaccine is developed. Considering the province's policies towards team sports and live sporting events while in Stage 3 a season is not likely possible at this time. The province's policies are as follows:

TEAM SPORTS AND LIVE SPORTING EVENTS

Prolonged or deliberate contact while playing sports is not permitted.

Team sports in which body contact between players is either an integral component of the sport or commonly occurs while engaged in the sport (e.g., wrestling, judo) are not yet permitted, unless the approach can be modified to prevent prolonged or deliberate physical contact.

Amateur and recreational sports leagues may resume so long as they do not allow prolonged or deliberate physical contact between players or if they have modifications to avoid physical contact between players.

Leagues must contain no more than 50 participants total. If participants in a league exceed 50, the league may divide into smaller groups of no more than 50. Players are not yet permitted to play against players outside of their league or group.

Spectators at all sporting events, including professional sports, will be subject to gathering limits and physical distancing measures, with assigned seating where possible.
OutsideLookingIn

Thanks Marcie. As we also know... the situation is pretty fluid and can change on a weekly basis. Hopefully we stay the current course and the government can start to open up quicker than later. I am posting a link from the OHF in regards to their stages.
https://www.ohf.on.ca/media/tukpds4s/oh ... y_0731.pdf
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

RocketGirl wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:19 pm Maybe a full plan has yet to be put in place.

Why does everyone NEED to know EVERYTHING the league is thinking?

I think you are missing the point. These are not the times where kids are playing in this league for free. So as a parent, I would want to know what is going on so a decision can be made. After all it is MY money.

This league has a chance to be great. But again I will say it... ZERO leadership.
OutsideLookingIn

Agreed!!
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Marcie wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:57 pm Premier Ford has made it quite clear that Ontario will remain in Stage 3 until a vaccine is developed. Considering the province's policies towards team sports and live sporting events while in Stage 3 a season is not likely possible at this time. The province's policies are as follows:
Things within Phase 3 change every week, however.

As an example at the start of Phase 3, movie theatres were only allowed 50 people in the whole building. Now they are allowed 50 people to each screen.

At this point, hockey in Ontario has to LOBBY to Ford that they have plans for how it can work and what it would look like, and get changes approved. That's what the theatre business did.
drafty

Post by drafty »

The Niagara Falls Canucks have posted this on Instagram:

" HOCKEY IS BACK!

The Niagara Falls Canucks are looking forward to the 2020-2021 season!
The last few months have been very difficult on everyone as we continue to battle the Coronavirus, however we believe that better days are slowly heading our way!
We are preparing for a safe return to play at the Gale Centre for our players, staff, volunteers and fans!
Training Camp will start on September 8, and the 'Nucks have some terrific news, new signings, season plans, etc to announce. We will be bringing those to you between now and the start of the upcoming season on a regular basis.

We look forward to some exciting hockey down at the Gale Centre in the near future!
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

drafty wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 pm The Niagara Falls Canucks have posted this on Instagram:

" HOCKEY IS BACK!

The Niagara Falls Canucks are looking forward to the 2020-2021 season!
The last few months have been very difficult on everyone as we continue to battle the Coronavirus, however we believe that better days are slowly heading our way!
We are preparing for a safe return to play at the Gale Centre for our players, staff, volunteers and fans!
Training Camp will start on September 8, and the 'Nucks have some terrific news, new signings, season plans, etc to announce. We will be bringing those to you between now and the start of the upcoming season on a regular basis.

We look forward to some exciting hockey down at the Gale Centre in the near future!
Well...interesting development. So they are going against what the OHF/OHA/GOJHL has stated in their "Return to Play". What will be even more interesting will be the reaction of the OHF/OHA/GOJHL. I dont know too much about who is on the board of the OHA other than some OJHL guys (of course) but I do know PMcK is the consummate politician and will tread very lightly on this as with every politician..he needs to votes to remain in power. As for the GOJHL, might have to remove the thumbs from their mouths or wherever else they could be, step up, and make a big boy decision for a change!

I am still of the mindset the the Commish needs to go..like yesterday as well as a few Board member hangers on who have been in those positions ever since this ship started to drift downstream!

I applaud the Canucks in making a stand but.....ultimately it will be the province that decides if they are on the ice or not.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

If predictions from medical professionals are correct, we will be back in stage 1 by December.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102