Cambridge

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Cambridge

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm seeing on Twitter that Cambridge has decided to sever ties with the OHA and may pursue legal action.

Other than that, I have no other info, so we'll see how this plays out. If it's true, could help with culling some teams to get us down to 2 Conferences.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Cali vairs!

Re: Cambridge

Post by Cali vairs! »

I heard that the league was thinking of a 4th conference not going down to 2. I hope they move them dow but just heard it may be 4
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

http://m.therecord.com/sports-story/728 ... ssociation

A little more explanation on Cambridge leaving, but still lots of questions.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

This should get interesting.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Seth

Post by Seth »

Bill Doucet's write up in the Cambridge paper.The Cambridge owner isn't just burning bridges on the way out he's outright blowing them up.

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-st ... leave-oha/
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

The word around town is that Machado believes a few teams are willing to "go with him", whether that means...

This could get interesting quick.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I feel like this is going to be Jerry Maguire.

But even though they are continuing with their camps, mini-camp this weekend has been cancelled.
Queen of the GOJHL

Seth

Post by Seth »

Bill Doucet just tweeted that the coaching staff and GM have all resigned, kind of wondered when that would happen.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-st ... rs-resign/

Here's Bill's article on the coaches and management stepping down.

I hear that their players are being sought after by the other teams, and even heard only 4 committed to returning.
Queen of the GOJHL

Seth

Post by Seth »

RocketGirl wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 6:29 pm https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-st ... rs-resign/

Here's Bill's article on the coaches and management stepping down.

I hear that their players are being sought after by the other teams, and even heard only 4 committed to returning.
I'm surprised there is that many committing to returning. No surprise players are being sought after, wonder how that will all work in regards to rights and releases now that Cambridge has pulled out of from under the OHA umbrella?
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Whether or not they have left the OHA, they will still have their sanctioning! That is something that cannot be taken from them for deciding to go out on a "independent" schedule! The OHA cannot tell them where they play.

Suggestion would be to stay away from the OJHL. Other than "A" vs "B" what are the benefits?
Season Ticket

Post by Season Ticket »

As a long time Winterhawk fan I am having a hard time getting past all the resignations and the cancellation of the hockey camp. Still have a lot of options to spend money and time at Arenas, was hoping the Simcoe move to Hespeler rink would take place.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Season Ticket wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 am As a long time Winterhawk fan I am having a hard time getting past all the resignations and the cancellation of the hockey camp. Still have a lot of options to spend money and time at Arenas, was hoping the Simcoe move to Hespeler rink would take place.
http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/7 ... -hespeler/

Your probably not surprise.
Season Ticket

Post by Season Ticket »

It sounds like it's not going to end well for the Cambridge fans. Maybe the Winterhawks need a change to a fan based ownership.
One or two owners can certainly upset the cart real quick.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

It is a slippery slope. Technically the Hawks are "owned" and should be making business decisions in the best interests of the owner. The OHA should not have any bearing over the decisions of Mr. Machado. I think that is where the legalities come into play.

Though I am not one who really drinks the Kool-Aid HC, OHF, OHA put out there, I do believe that there were options more consistent with Mr. Machado's best business interests. Pulling the plug on the GOJHL could have immeasurable consequences. In the past, HC has stepped above their governance in this country and gone to IIHF members when they are against an action. For instance, though the OHA cannot tell you where and who to play, they, HC and the OHF can make it almost impossible to find competition. There are "unwritten" and "written" policies between IIHF members. One quick phone call from the wizard of Customer, sorry, Membership Services VP Glen McCurdie and a wrench can be thrown into anyone's plans. It's just the way it is and until the very system itself is challenged, we are stuck in an archaic system of control and greed.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Not sure where Cambridge stands. Whether they have sanctioning or not. Winter Hawks claim they have HC sanctioning. Leaving the GOJHL is one thing and they could have gotten away with that. But by saying you want to break away from the OHA, as the sanctioning body, not sure where that puts Cambridge. But for an attorney to suggest "another" potential owner is potentially opening up a whole can of worms.

If the OHA decides to go that route, it could get ugly. The whole system would then come under the microscope and the OHA would be advised by the OHF and HC to just make the problem go away!
corvairsgf

Post by corvairsgf »

my dad is friends with the owner of cambridge, they didnt sever ties with the oha, they want to bring junior a to cambridge
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

Why could the league not put another Junior B team in Cambridge ? As the owner made the decision to sever ties with the league, they should be able to do this. The owner does not have rights to the Cambridge Junior B team in perpetuity particularly since it was his decision to leave. I believe that the player's rights will now transfer to the OHA. If a Cambridge player wanted to play for a team associated with the league, they would need to request permission from the league to do so. If they want to play for a non-sanctioned "rogue" team" then they could do it without the OHA permission as they have no bearing over those leagues.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Under the OHA, within their constitution, there is a by-law regarding geographical proximity. That suggests that as long as Cambridge is a member, in good standing with the OHA, then another team CANNOT be placed within that jurisdiction.

That's the question I have. You have a lawyer, representing the OHA, suggesting that they have not re-applied for membership. To me, that says that not only has Cambridge decided to leave the GOJHL, but they have in fact, whether purposely or not, have severed ties with the OHA. The question of HC sanctioning is one I tend not to believe. HC leaves sanctioning up to the branches and member partners. So if Cambridge wants to be a member of HC, they also must be a member of the OHA! You cannot have one without the other.

Whether or not the OHA decides to accept applications from interested parties is one thing, but actually having the ability to do so, especially under these circumstances would be a very interesting scenario. If you have ever dealt with HC you know two things.

1.) They guard what they have in their closet very carefully.
2.) They never, ever, ever like negative publicity and fear potential litigation. That litigation would most certain open the closet and revel all the
skeletons they have in their closet.

I would love to see the binding agreement the OHA has with the OJHL. Much like "Agreements of Affiliation", very hard to normal folk to get their hands on it because they do not want you to see it because it can be scrutinized and dissected.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

corvairsgf wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 3:03 pm my dad is friends with the owner of cambridge, they didnt sever ties with the oha, they want to bring junior a to cambridge
If they didn't sever ties, then what do you call the fact that they haven't filed their re-application paperwork for next season with the OHA?

Joe wants to bring Jr A hockey to Cambridge, but I think he's going about it the wrong way. How does he expect to set up a brand new league, with other members to play against, have a new constitution, new league rules, referees, officials in general, all in a matter of a few months?

And it's all well and good to say you'll have Hockey Canada sanctioning, but he's filed a lawsuit against the OHA, or going to, how do you think HC is going to respond to that?
Queen of the GOJHL

FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Hockey Canada is not in the business of sanctioning teams/leagues. They leave that up to the branches/member partners and in this province, the member partner is the OHA under the OHF.
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

I am pretty sure that if they sever ties and does not renew then he loses his rights to this franchise. The league would then be able to put another franchise in that city if someone wants to and the league approves. From what I understand the cards (OHA) of the current players will transfer to the league for keeping until they figure out what is going on.

I have a funny feeling that he will renew his rights as it does not appear his bluff is working. This is completely about $$$$ as Machado has said if his franchise were deemed Jr. A, it would immediately increase the value of his team.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Oldtymer..I agree with you on what you have written.

For me, the more interesting scenario will be the litigation scenario. If there has been any sort of collusion between the OHA and the OJHL then that breaks the law pertaining to competition and the Abuse of Dominance provision contained within the Competitions Act. Theoretically, we are dealing with different levels of hockey according to Hockey Canada and the OHA. But the fact remains that they compete for the same players.

Another point would be to look at the alumni of both of these leagues. Both leagues provide the exact same opportunities for players who aspire to get to the next level. Does the OJHL have an "unfair" competitive advantage. Absolutely! The have a National Championship for Junior A. Would Hockey Canada thereby be obligated according to the laws of the land to provide the same for Junior B...probably!

The US have Tier 1 and 2 National Championships from Novice all the way up. What do we have here? Midget only! If you want to look at why the US is progressing farther than Canada, one only needs to look at their Long Term Development Model which Canada has recently copied! Unitl HC is forced to get off of their collective arses and actually work, the system will remain the same.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Bill Doucet tweeted that come June 1st all eligible returning Cambridge players will become Free Agents will only need a permission to skate form from the OHA. Wonder where Cambridge will find players once he actually finds a league.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Just wondering if anyone has heard an official response from the either GOJHL or the OHA on the Cambridge situation?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

They haven't even said what's going on with Thorold and Buffalo, so why say anything about Cambridge?
Queen of the GOJHL

Red blacks

Post by Red blacks »

RocketGirl wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:40 pm They haven't even said what's going on with Thorold and Buffalo, so why say anything about Cambridge?
Not sure about thorold but going by twitter buffalo is back they will be playing out of buffalo state this year.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Yes, but I think the general consensus is that Buffalo should be gone, essentially they had 1 win last season.

But since they are holding camps and advertising for players, they clearly submitted their application to the OHA to be a member next season, which was due in April, therefore the GOJHL will be in the exact same position they were in at the start of last season.
Queen of the GOJHL

Seth

Post by Seth »

Undertaker wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 5:49 pm Just wondering if anyone has heard an official response from the either GOJHL or the OHA on the Cambridge situation?
OHA and Hockey Canada's joint statement about the potential new league the Winter Hawks could end up in.
http://www.ohahockey.ca/view/oha/news/news_486491