London @ Leamington

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

London @ Leamington

Post by RocketGirl »

I see the Nats pulled off what only LaSalle has been able to do in the last 2 years, and that's beat Leamington on their home ice. I just saw it on Pointstreak last night and wondered what the game was like.

These teams have had some good games this season and I figured that would have been a good game last night.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Re: London @ Leamington

Post by flyers2011 »

First 2 periods i would say London controlled the play had the majority of the good chances. 3rd period the flyers dominated tied the game up at 1. London got a late goal which ended up being the winner. Full points to the nats came out ready to play. Sometimes a loss like that reminds a first place team they have to play 3 periods.
End of a era in Leamington
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Here is Scott's blog article on the match - http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2016 ... ders-duel/
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:I see the Nats pulled off what only LaSalle has been able to do in the last 2 years, and that's beat Leamington on their home ice. I just saw it on Pointstreak last night and wondered what the game was like.

These teams have had some good games this season and I figured that would have been a good game last night.
Looking at pointstreak, it looked like a playoff atmosphere for sure.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Scott's blog got it right. Hughes was the difference. Hope both teams get over their injury problems. Concussions on both sides plaguing top players. Two well-matched teams that have battled in low-scoring affairs all season. Should be noted that London beat the Flyers on Leamington ice last year in the semi final. Also tied them 0-0 on Flyers' home ice earlier this season. Weds night at Western Fair promises to be entertaining. Pp, pk, goaltending and coaching will decide the better team.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Leamington will have trouble getting out of the West if they can't stay out of the box. Powerplay goals in the playoffs are usually the difference. Can't wait for Wednesdays game should be a great one to take in.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

London wins 5-3 tonight. A lot of penalties in the game. London scored 3 power play goals, and one short handed. Some fights in the third period.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Last night's game was all about special teams. Leamington looked like they were getting frustrated with all the penalties they were taking, and London was capitalizing on them.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Can London upset them in the playoffs if they meet.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

London is very likely going to finish in 2nd, so if they do meet it will be in the Conference finals. A lot of hockey has to be played by then. Time will tell.
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

Leamington got beat using the game plan they typically use against opponents -Beat them up (literally), grind them down and capitalize on PP. Good on London for taking full advantage and turning the tables.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

If I recall correctly, London is the only team to have beaten the Flyers 3 times this season.
Queen of the GOJHL

hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

Both teams are also quite familiar with playing on a larger ice surface than most of the other rinks. Maybe that's helped a bit, along with grit and determination. London's feisty and tenacious in puck pursuit.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Wasnt at the game but sounds like it was quite the game
End of a era in Leamington
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

When they were playing 5 on 5 I thought that the Flyers controlled most of the play. They were getting in behind the Nats' defense and getting some good chances. It was that lack of discipline again. It killed them.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I watched this game on Rogers channel 368. If Leamington and Caledonia meet in the Sutherland cup. They better get bigger penalty boxes.
Caledonia plays that same style of hockey in your face.
It was nice to see Scott Dorion play. They interview him between the second and third.
He's having a great year.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

delete
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:Last night's game was all about special teams. Leamington looked like they were getting frustrated with all the penalties they were taking, and London was capitalizing on them.
Would you say the penalties were warranted, or would you say the refs were picking at them a little? I know there's been problems trying to get evenly called games with some of the top teams.

If I recall correctly, London is the only team to have beaten the Flyers 3 times this season.
I wonder when the last time was anyone beat the Flyers three times in a season. Must have been a few years ago, at least...
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You're the only one to have raised the question of the top teams being 'picked on' by the referees. As I told you when you pitched the idea to me for an opinion piece, I am not going to rip apart and bash the OHA's officials. There were maybe a few cheap calls on both teams, but yes, each penalty was warranted and in fact there were a few they didn't call.
Queen of the GOJHL

shady

Post by shady »

Not to say they will , but Chatham has beaten Leamington twice and still has a game left against them .
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:You're the only one to have raised the question of the top teams being 'picked on' by the referees. As I told you when you pitched the idea to me for an opinion piece, I am not going to rip apart and bash the OHA's officials. There were maybe a few cheap calls on both teams, but yes, each penalty was warranted and in fact there were a few they didn't call.
I just asked you a simple question. Yet you feel the need to be snarky in your response. This is why people don't like you on here and take shots at you.

You claim that you don't care, but you're always talking about the lack of respect you get on here. So it must be something that's on your mind. Maybe stop dictating in replies to simple questions? :P :smt004

And FYI: I've had more than one other person share my opinion in private messages. So it isn't only me who's had those thoughts. :wink: :smt006
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

shady wrote:Not to say they will , but Chatham has beaten Leamington twice and still has a game left against them .
That would be something, two teams taking three from the Flyers in the same season. Just shows the depth in the West.
Sunnydays

Post by Sunnydays »

Port hockey1 wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:You're the only one to have raised the question of the top teams being 'picked on' by the referees. As I told you when you pitched the idea to me for an opinion piece, I am not going to rip apart and bash the OHA's officials. There were maybe a few cheap calls on both teams, but yes, each penalty was warranted and in fact there were a few they didn't call.
I just asked you a simple question. Yet you feel the need to be snarky in your response. This is why people don't like you on here and take shots at you.

You claim that you don't care, but you're always talking about the lack of respect you get on here. So it must be something that's on your mind. Maybe stop dictating in replies to simple questions? :P :smt004

And FYI: I've had more than one other person share my opinion in private messages. So it isn't only me who's had those thoughts. :wink: :smt006

It's because she knows you're a Caledonia fan
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

To me the answer is a simple one - she is a featured writer for the OHA in Blueline Magazine. One typically doesn't bite the hand that feeds.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Yes, shady, I recognize that Chatham has 2 with another chance. So does LaSalle.
Queen of the GOJHL

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Couple things. First, while it may be semantics, I would describe the West not necessarily as "deep(er)" but more as a conference with the most parity. 30 points separate 1st and 4th in the Shoe; 25 points separate 1st and 4th in the Midwest; 16 points separate 1st and 4th in the West. So the conference is just tighter and more competitive within itself compared to the Shoe where the Corvairs flat out dominate everyone (maybe that has something to do with the fact they have 11 ex-OHLers, all but one of them being 1995 b-y... but I digress). In my estimation, London has gotten marginally stronger this year, while Leamington, Chatham and Lasalle have gotten marginally to much weaker since last year. Whoever emerges from the West (and Midwest) are still going to face a daunting challenge vs. Caledonia and their army of OHL vets. Second, with regard to refs "picking on top teams" -- that's total bumph. Strong teams often draw much of their strength from intimidation and that naturally results in big PIM numbers. The problem with the Flyers is they're not strong enough on the PK to withstand the pressures of playing a man short for half the game. Nor, frankly, are they all that intimidating to begin with -- just chippy. Cpt. Obvious has it right: if Flyers don't reduce their penalties, they won't get out of the West.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote:To me the answer is a simple one - she is a featured writer for the OHA in Blueline Magazine. One typically doesn't bite the hand that feeds.
She could have just said she thought things were fine then. I was a little surprised by the reply I received. :)