Strathroy player runs, injures St.Marys goalie

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Strathroy player runs, injures St.Marys goalie

Post by Port hockey1 »

The St.Marys goalie left the game with 5 minutes left in the 1st period tonight. At the time he left, a 5 minute major was given to a Strathroy player for goalie interference.

So to me it looks like the kid ran him hard, injuring him in the process. The injured goalie was Paul Town. The backup was listed as an APM(call up). so did they run him knowing the new guy would have to come in if he was injured?

If that's what happened, it's pretty bush league. Intent to injure?...Should there have been a match-penalty on the play?

I notice the "you make the call" segment on the Local Sports Report always involves a Strathroy player. I think this play should be used for the next segment , if in fact it happened how it looks. A good question for viewers would be if there should have been a match-penalty.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Re: Strathroy player runs, injures St.Marys goalie

Post by flyers2011 »

Strathroy is one of the dirtyiest teams in the league, ive been following this league for 6 years and by far the dirtyiest team ive seen, Must of been pretty bad to get a 5 min goalie interference call. Rockets winless streak is now at 10 games. St. Marys tied the game with 3 secs left in the 3rd then won it in overtime. Good for the Lincs.
End of a era in Leamington
insanity

Post by insanity »

hope someday tuned the rocket player.........that is absolute crap. Good victory Lincs.
OHAHockeyFan

Post by OHAHockeyFan »

Port- have you ever actually been to a hockey game? Your commentary always seems to involve watching the gamesheet on Pointstreak.

No doubt a 5 min Major for Interference was likely a dirty play. But the only reason you're posting this is for click bait to RG
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

insanity wrote:hope someday tuned the rocket player.........that is absolute crap. Good victory Lincs.
According to the Rockets official Twiiter page the player tried to "jump over" the ST Marys goalie, If the GOJHL have any testicles at all the would suspend this player indefinitely. A quick review of his stats from Midget last year show 173 PIM in just 28 games. Good enough to lead that entire league in PIM. I know he isn't a repeat offender in this league yet, but it shows that discipline is a long standing problem. This is one of their coveted London cuts that the Rockets plan to build their future around. If the league doesn't send a message now I am not sure they ever will. Full marks to the Lincs for now allowing the sideshow to continue and to Kyle Morning, a local Midget player who stepping in to backstop the team to a much needed victory.

One has to wonder what was going through the Rocket players head at the time. They had a 2-1 lead in the game at the time of the offence, so I doubt this would have been a coaching strategy. This team has already earned its reputation through badly timed selfish penalties and they do have this years current leading penalty minute leader (a different player) on their roster. St. Marys and Lambton Shores have already made head coaching changes, who is next on the ladder?

I don't know that Port is necessarily baiting, but I think when an injury occurs to any player, especially a goalie and is caused by a player with a reputation questions will and should be asked. If RG (who likely attended the game) has any incite into this incident I am sure she will let us know. She knows her teams mindset better than we do.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

They're both trying to goad me into this, and although I am responding, it's only to tell you what I saw of the incident.

From my vantage point, it appeared that McGhee tried to jump over Town. According to my brother, who was on the bench, it looked like McGhee was trying to cut between Town and another Lincoln. Either way, he ran him over, there's no 2 ways about it. Now, not that this excuses anything, but Town was not in the net. He had come out to play the puck, was on his knees, and McGhee ran into/over him.

This wasn't intentional, I can guarantee it. The team didn't look at it as, their backup is an AP so lets get Town out of here so that he has to play. And if you actually believe that's what happened, then you're stupider than I think you are.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
OHAHockeyFan

Post by OHAHockeyFan »

only reason it was 5 minutes is because when a player is injured, the minor automatically has to be a major penalty unless the ref wants to use his discretion.

video doesn't show the contact at all but what it does show is a 2 minute penalty up on the board first. obviously ref didn't believe there was intent (looked like a good play going to net - strathroy actually scored but was called back as a result of goalie contact).

the 2 switches to 5 after seeing severity of injury - at that point, the ref basically has to make it a major.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

OHAHockeyFan wrote:Port- have you ever actually been to a hockey game? Your commentary always seems to involve watching the gamesheet on Pointstreak.

No doubt a 5 min Major for Interference was likely a dirty play. But the only reason you're posting this is for click bait to RG
I'm posting because it's news. As for your first question, was that bait? :wink: :smt004
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I hope to see this incident featured as "Incidental or Deliberate Contact You Make The Call #23.

As Port says this post is here because it is news, not about baiting anyone. As I said earlier this type of play with an injury should raise questions. Other leagues would be reviewing the tapes for supplemental discipline on an injury like this. Investigating a players reputation is warranted here.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

totally agree, talked to someone that was at the game and not a member of either team and said it was deliberate. This stuff needs to be reviewed.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

If it was as deliberate as you're making it out to be, why was there no retaliation from St. Marys? They may be the least penalized team, but when a guy takes a run at your goalie, or anyone, you defend it, and they didn't. They didn't retaliate at all.

And since you're just reporting the news, where's your post on Amante's 5 min. major for slashing on Wed. night? If I'm not mistaken, he's a repeat offender, so he should be suspended. A message needs to be sent.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

St marys obviously showed some class and stooping to the level of the rockets. And yup i was surprised amante did not get a suspension if it was worth a 5 min major. No room for that stuff. Rockets are known for this kind of stuff.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Not stooping. Perhaps the rockets should focus on trying to win a hockey game.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

RocketGirl wrote:If it was as deliberate as you're making it out to be, why was there no retaliation from St. Marys? They may be the least penalized team, but when a guy takes a run at your goalie, or anyone, you defend it, and they didn't. They didn't retaliate at all.

And since you're just reporting the news, where's your post on Amante's 5 min. major for slashing on Wed. night? If I'm not mistaken, he's a repeat offender, so he should be suspended. A message needs to be sent.
I completely agree about Amante, I was at that one. There was a cross check to the neck of a player already down on the ice, then a hard two handed slash to the back of the ankles while a delayed penalty was in play, then another two hander to the back of the legs when the whistle went. Both two harders appeared to cause injury and all offences were on the same player. I was surprised the ref only called one of the two handers, and even more surprised to see he played the next game. As noted another repeat offender that went undetected in the league office.

I think St Marys saw this game as a good chance to pick up a much needed win and chose to focus on that instead. They don't take a lot of penalties as yet, so taking some undisciplined ones in a winnable game isn't shocking.
Last edited by Oglethorp on Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Yup i agree. I was very surprised as well i thought there would be a suspension. Same thing with what the rockets did that stuff is not needed in the game. Ive seen it happen too many times in strathroy.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:If it was as deliberate as you're making it out to be, why was there no retaliation from St. Marys? They may be the least penalized team, but when a guy takes a run at your goalie, or anyone, you defend it, and they didn't. They didn't retaliate at all.

A 5 minute major for slashing is different than a kid running over the goalie. We see 5 minute majors all season for many different things. Running over the goalie, when the backups an APM isn't so common.

So there's the answer to your question.

Anyways, it's very comical how there's always a perfectly reasonable explanation whenever a dirty play center's around a Strathroy Rocket. :P

But when you deflect the topic to a 'slashing major'... That pretty much sums it up.

This incident needs to be reviewed by the league.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Whatever. I'm not debating this with you anymore. But I'll leave you with this last thought, the refs gave him a GM74, Interference major, which is non-suspendable. If they thought it was as serious as you're making it out to be, they would have given him a GM59, charging the goalie, which carries 1 game. And there was a referee supervisor there.
Queen of the GOJHL

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Thats what rg does port. Hopefully the league does something about it.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I remember 2 or 3 years ago we had 3-4 players seriously hurt playing against strathroy. One was a broken jaw from a cross check to the face.
Blades

Post by Blades »

OK, who here was actually AT the game. Looking at a gamesheet doesn't always reflect what has taken place in a game, it merely lists stats.
Oh, and having the head of the refs doesn't ensure that correct calls are made while he is there or not.

I was recently at a game where the home team was penalized with a four minute double minor for high sticking. It would seem that many -- including myself -- didn't see the play where the supposed infraction took place. Regardless, the call was made and fortunately for the home team, no goals were scored. Later in that period (it was the 3rd period) a home team player took a knee on knee hit and went down on the ice. He had to be helped to the trainer's room -- trainer and a teammate assisted him. Was any call made? NOPE! Was the head of referees at the game. You betcha. The referee was a man who has been a ref for quite some time. Oh yeah, in overtime, the home team scored a goal but it wasn't indicated as such by the ref who was just outside of the net and *should* have seen it. Fortunately, the players kept on playing and then scored a second OT goal. This time it counted.

When the game ended, the home team's trainer had a few words that he directed to the ref. With all the possible things he could have chosen to call, he made it GRM 60 -- travesty of a game that carries multiple game suspension. This could just as easily have been a lesser call since the ref basically wanted it noted that there was abuse of an official. That isn't one of the choices in Pointstreak under Gross Misconduct yet the ref signed off on it being so. End result, the team is without their main trainer for two games (I think).

Does this mean I know what the correct call should have been in the Rockets game when there is contact between a goalie and a player? Not likely unless I was either AT the game or have seen video of that play.

If there is any cause for teams to want certain plays looked at by the league, I'm sure there is something in place now that games are on Fast Hockey -- at least the teams in the West are supposed to be running it.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Just so happens i was at the game you are talking too. The high stick could of been a 5 min major as the kids lip was all tore up and had to put a different jersey on because it was covered in blood. The knee on knee was a play where they ran into each other. The trainer made a fool of himself carrying on with ref veccia. Not a fan of veccia at all but in this case he made the right calls.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Couldn't help but notice that the Rocket player in question was not dressed the following night in Strathroy vs London. Under review? Suspension pending? Everyone in Strathroy seems pretty tight-lipped about this. Has anyone heard how badly injured the goaltender is?
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

You Make the Call 23 - Goaltender Interference
http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2015 ... erference/
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

in my opinion the refs made the right call on the play. The rocket player lost control of the puck at the top of the circle at which point he crashed the net and into the goalie. Now had the goalie been out of the blue paint i would have said that at that point he put him self in the position but the reality is he never left the blue paint before the contact at which point you are supposed to avoid any contact with the net minder. He had other options he could have gone behind the net he could have hit the boards hell he could have moved a foot out farther all of which he would have missed the net minder.
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The only debate here is was it goaltender interference or charging the goaltender. McGhee appears to drop the puck at the Ringette Line, blow by the defenceman then turn into the goal crease where he collides with Town located at the the top of the crease where you would expect to find the goaltender. He then turns sideways and hit the goaltender with his shoulder in the head area. He also appears to be leaving his feet just prior to impact. In the OHL they video review plays all the time regardless of the call or non call on the ice. In this instance the high rate of speed, change in direction, catching a player in a vulnerable position and leaving his feet would warrant an increased suspension.

I was at the the game in Strathroy on Saturday and the buzz in the small crowd in attendance was that although McGhee was not dressed, there is no suspension and he may have decided to leave the team. Hopefully this is not the case, as I think with his edge he can be an asset to any team in the league. On this occasion he clearly crossed the line.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

another player wanting out of strathroy ? that makes quite a few over the last few season, another interesting stat ive realized in strathroy is there dwindling attendance numbers 2011-2012 617 avg, 2012-2013 662 avg, 2013-2014 629, 2014-2015 464, so far this season 330. that's a drop of 332 fans per game since 2013. As for the hit definatley a suspenable hit.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote:You Make the Call 23 - Goaltender Interference
http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2015 ... erference/
I credit Strathroy for using this video on the "you make the call".

It was obvious that he was trying to take out the goalie. It's hard to say if there's an intent to injure, but he hit him on purpose.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

flyers2011 wrote:another player wanting out of strathroy ? that makes quite a few over the last few season, another interesting stat ive realized in strathroy is there dwindling attendance numbers 2011-2012 617 avg, 2012-2013 662 avg, 2013-2014 629, 2014-2015 464, so far this season 330. that's a drop of 332 fans per game since 2013. As for the hit definatley a suspenable hit.
Losing + a Lack of Local players = Low attendance. Early in the off season Chatham made news signing Ross Kreiger, Leamington Tyler Wall, Lasalle Connor Matton and Nolan Gardiner, Sarnia Alec DeKoning and Eric Marsh, London Max Vinegradov and Zack Weir, Strathroy ??????, Lambton Shores ?????, St Marys ?????. Anyone else see a pattern. The latter 3 teams are also 7th, 9th and 8th in attendance in the Western Conference. Co-incidence? Of course the annual exodus of local players to Exeter doesn't help keep the number of local players at a respectable level either.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

very very true about the attendance. Also Strathroy has the worst Arena ive been too, but that probably doesn't play much into it, just curious RG, after seeing the video do you think he should be suspended ?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

No I don't. I know that it wasn't intentional, it wasn't deliberate, and yes, Town went down, but within the rules of the OHA, and what the referees called, it's non-suspendable. He's a first-time offender at this level, his PIM's are relatively minor at 34, what kind of harsh sentence are you going to give him?

Now I'm curious about something. Why is it that you are all concerned about what's happening with the Rockets? Yes we're struggling, but we've struggled before, this isn't new. What you seem to forget is that we have a new GM, new coaching staff, and pretty much a new board of directors and it takes time to clean up the mess that others have left.

Yes, our attendance is down, I get reminded of this on a weekly basis, but the fact is, the town of Strathroy doesn't support losers. Yes, we've been in the games and lost because of some mental errors that the other teams have capitalized on, but people are looking at the fact that we haven't won a game in 11 tries. And again, there are messes that some other people have left that we are trying to fix. And I can talk until I'm blue in the face, and I can come up with ideas on how we can reach out to the community and get them excited about coming to some games, or trying different things to get the attendance up, but I'm not on the Board of Directors. I came up with an idea last week that I pitched to the Secretary, and she agreed it's good, but considering we're 2 months into the season, should we save it for next year?
Queen of the GOJHL