Strathroy Troubles

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

Strathroy Troubles

Post by flyers2011 »

following a 6-1 thumping at the hands of the Chatham Maroons, the strathroy Rockets suffered there 7th straight loss which drops them to 7th place with only 4 wins in 15 games and with the First place Flyers and red hot Lasalle Vipers coming up the streak could grow. Just wondering what the issue is with the rockets, is it cause there a young team, coaching ? just curious
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Re: Strathroy Troubles

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:following a 6-1 thumping at the hands of the Chatham Maroons, the strathroy Rockets suffered there 7th straight loss which drops them to 7th place with only 4 wins in 15 games and with the First place Flyers and red hot Lasalle Vipers coming up the streak could grow. Just wondering what the issue is with the rockets, is it cause there a young team, coaching ? just curious
There has to be issues in the dressing room. Either between players or players & staff. It's no secret that many players have left that organization to play Jr.C the last few years. And I'm talking go to guys, not fourth liners.

I've noticed Strathroy's the only team in the West without a real top line. Maybe they play a four line game, but either way, they aren't scoring many goals. The kid they got from Pelham is leading the team in scoring and even he doesn't really have a whole lot of points.

The Rocket's have a great history, but their recent history looks to be something they'll want to forget in the future. I see Chatham dominated them tonight. :smt003
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Strathroy has been in trouble for a couple of years now. A look at the Exeter Hawks Jr C roster is a good place to start. Their 7 top scorers all all former Rockets, 3 could still be on the roster. For 2 consecutive years the Rockets have returned less than 1/3 of their roster. This is not usually a recipe for success. It was also no secret that Strathroy focussed heavily on London cuts to fill their roster this year. St Marys has lived by this method of recruitment for a few years now, I think we know how successful that has been. Most of the players on this team are 3rd/4th liners or 5/6th defencemen at best so the results shouldn't be too shocking. What Strathroy does have going for them is 2 goaltenders that are very capable #1s. As for the all rookie coaching staff, with only 1 year of Jr B experience between them they have a huge hill to climb and there is a learning curve as well. With so many new players coming directly out of minor hockey a veteran coach on the bench would be a benefit.

Going forward the Rockets need to find a way to keep the players they have from going to Jr C or elsewhere by becoming a place that players want to play again. Prioritizing local player development over cuts from other teams would be beneficial on the ice and in the stands as well.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I don't deny that there are some issues that need to be dealt with, but that's for the more important people to deal with. But we do have a lot of young kids who have never played Jr. hockey before and from what I can see sitting in the stands, they haven't quite figured it out yet. Playing Jr. hockey is very different from minor hockey. As someone had said to me, you get kids that were the top player on their minor team and it was all about them, they put up all the points, and now they're not the all-star on the team and some have a hard transition from that.

Regarding the 7 former Rockets, only 4 left us directly to go to Exeter because of work opportunities, and you can't hold them back for that, 1 was an AP player in Alvinston, and 2 of them were St. Marys Lincolns. Of the 2 Lincolns, 1 was an AP for us and after his Dad was let go from being an asst. coach, can you really blame him for leaving our organization?

Thornton, Chase – work opportunity
Kettler, Tyler – Alvinston Flyer
Dalton, Brett – work commitments
Vokes, Sam – work opportunity
Coleman, Tyler – work opportunity
Naus, Max – St. Marys Lincoln
Alkins, Jake – St. Marys Lincoln

As for our turnover from last year, we had 7 graduates, lost 2 to Exeter for work, 3 unexpectedly went to school, 1 is in the OHL, and 1 was released a few weeks ago.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Heard it was more then work oppurtunity. Been a rough couple years in strathroy.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

flyers2011 wrote:Heard it was more then work oppurtunity. Been a rough couple years in strathroy.
I know RG won't want to hear this but I have heard the same rumblings for over a year, and that one of the "work opportunity" players from this year was delayed from joining Exeter. In my opinion the Whitworth trade was not well thought out. A quick review of shots on net shows where the Rockets are most vulnerable.

If you backtrack the last 3 seasons you will see where other players have slipped through the Rockets fingers including one local kid that sits #4 in GOJHL scoring, one sits at #16 in the CCHL and a local defenceman is playing in Sarnia this year. All of these players (except Whitworth) were grade 11 students when they played in Strathroy so I don't think work or attending school was the reason they did not return
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

If you read between your own lines, there's 1 common denominator as to why all of them are not Strathroy Rockets.

You know, every team goes through their struggles. Hockey is all about cycles and right now, it's my team's time to struggle. I remember a time when Leamington was the team near the bottom, and they've clearly worked through it. St. Marys has struggled the last few years and from what I've been told, they're better this year. I remember when this league (and that's what we were at the time) was dominated by Chatham, winning 7 league titles in 11 years. Back in the day, St. Thomas was a top team, and then they were a bottom team, and now they're climbing to the top again.

It's just my team's turn. Doesn't mean I'm gonna support them any less, as was shown last night in Chatham.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

RocketGirl wrote:Hockey is all about cycles and right now, it's my team's time to struggle.
Bingo.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I am not going to engage in a discussion that leads to slamming players for exercising their options, sorry if you are offended. Of course you will support your rockets, we wouldn't expect anything less. I am sure the rockets will be back in the thick of things one day.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

From what i saw in chatham last night had the rockets not had so many penalties it could have been a very different game. people can say what they want but in my opinion that was the big issue for the rockets
just my .02
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

ILuvHackey wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:Hockey is all about cycles and right now, it's my team's time to struggle.
Bingo.
I am not sure how well the cycle theory works in a league that doesn't use a draft system to balance teams, but I look forward to seeing Lambton Shores and Pelham compete for the Sutherland Cup, while Chatham and Caledonia miss the playoffs. :lol:
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I don't think Chris Corgan will be much help but I could be wrong. Good luck any way.
Released from Thorold Blackhawks 1g in 12 games. And I think they will have to use a import card for this guy.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Rockets have lots of import space left and still have a roster spot open, so releasing a player to make room won't be necessary. I don't think this will hurt them. He has played in the NOJHL and NA3HL previously so he will bring some needed junior experience.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

brad 36 wrote:From what i saw in chatham last night had the rockets not had so many penalties it could have been a very different game. people can say what they want but in my opinion that was the big issue for the rockets
just my .02
And that's one of the many issues. We're taking too many stupid penalties, and at inopportune times. And clearly our powerplay needs some work because we've given up 4 shorthanded goals so far this season.
Queen of the GOJHL

ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Oglethorp wrote:I am not sure how well the cycle theory works in a league that doesn't use a draft system to balance teams, but I look forward to seeing Lambton Shores and Pelham compete for the Sutherland Cup, while Chatham and Caledonia miss the playoffs. :lol:
There will always be teams in a league like this who just don't try - no scouting, no recruiting, nothing. And yes teams like Caledonia will remain up top for a lot longer than the average cycle, because being a winner and having money makes recruiting players like taking candy from a baby, but for the remainder of the teams, it really still is a cycle. A lot of the time they'll have a couple good years, fall back down when the core has aged out of junior hockey and have to rebuild on the fly.

Take a look at Kitchener and Waterloo, right now.

Waterloo lost the bulk of their team, including some of the top players in the league last year (Mroczkowski, Hanlon, Kearns come to mind). They brought back like 3 or 4 total, and then have filled in the pages with one of the better 16 year olds in the league (Schnarr) and a group of younger guys with no or little junior experience. They saw the top of their cycle last year, loaded up and now are having to press refresh

Kitchener on the other hand, are getting towards the top of their cycle with guys like Schmidt, Kawalec, Subban, etc. being 19 or 20. They have two years with the core of this group. Maybe one depending on if some of those 19 year olds move up to Junior A. But from all accounts, they are in that mix to win a title and are going for it.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Oglethorp wrote:I am not sure how well the cycle theory works in a league that doesn't use a draft system to balance teams, but I look forward to seeing Lambton Shores and Pelham compete for the Sutherland Cup, while Chatham and Caledonia miss the playoffs. :lol:
Laugh all you want, but Chatham dominated the West for a decade, winning 7 titles in 11 years, including 1 Sutherland Cup, and since that time, they haven't won a championship.

Right now Caledonia is the top team. Everyone knows that the road to the Sutherland Cup goes through Caledonia, but a lot can change in 5 years.
Queen of the GOJHL

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Has nothing to do with hockey cycle. Good teams do what they have to do to win. Starts at the top leamington got new ownership and brought in one of the best coaches. Good coaches draw good players. Look at bill bowler in lasalle and as much as i dont want to say it look at mark davis everywhere he goes he always has a strong team. By what your saying since lambton has been so bad that its there turn soon. If u want to be on top you have to do the work to get there.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

flyers2011 wrote:Has nothing to do with hockey cycle. Good teams do what they have to do to win. Starts at the top leamington got new ownership and brought in one of the best coaches. Good coaches draw good players. Look at bill bowler in lasalle and as much as i dont want to say it look at mark davis everywhere he goes he always has a strong team. By what your saying since lambton has been so bad that its there turn soon. If u want to be on top you have to do the work to get there.
I couldn't agree more, the best teams are the ones who do the best job scouting and recruiting, bring in the best coaches and run programs that draw the best players. Anybody can hand out a couple of sticks to their players, the bar is much so higher than it was 10 years ago. With territorial boundaries disappearing the competition for players won't get any easier on the bottom teams. Being good isn't an accident. It takes money time and effort.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I agree with flyers2011 & Oglethorp 100%
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Oglethorp wrote:
flyers2011 wrote:Has nothing to do with hockey cycle. Good teams do what they have to do to win. Starts at the top leamington got new ownership and brought in one of the best coaches. Good coaches draw good players. Look at bill bowler in lasalle and as much as i dont want to say it look at mark davis everywhere he goes he always has a strong team. By what your saying since lambton has been so bad that its there turn soon. If u want to be on top you have to do the work to get there.
I couldn't agree more, the best teams are the ones who do the best job scouting and recruiting, bring in the best coaches and run programs that draw the best players. Anybody can hand out a couple of sticks to their players, the bar is much so higher than it was 10 years ago. With territorial boundaries disappearing the competition for players won't get any easier on the bottom teams. Being good isn't an accident. It takes money time and effort.
Nobody said it's an accident. I specifically said there are teams who just don't recruit, or have scouts, or try. There's a reason for perennial losers. But for the folks above them, that don't have the advantages of a team like Caledonia, they go through cycles with their players. Management teams build towards certain years. Sometimes its works and sometimes it doesn't. No one stays on top forever.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Looks like the Western Conference coaching carousel is starting to turn. Rockets assistant Mike Herman has resigned citing workload demands with his job as the reason. Any thoughts who might step in to fill the void?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Oglethorp wrote: Rockets assistant Mike Herman has resigned citing workload demands with his job as the reason.
It's always work related when an angry coach leaves in this league...Amazing how fast they manage to find the time to coach/work for another team. :P :oops:

Can't anyone man up and just say it was personal differences? At least the Guelph coach was fairly honest.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Strathroy is definatley not the place to be.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Caledonia Fan wrote:I don't think Chris Corgan will be much help but I could be wrong. Good luck any way.
Released from Thorold Blackhawks 1g in 12 games. And I think they will have to use a import card for this guy.
Chris Corgan didn't last long released 11/08/15
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Corgan played 3 games with Strathroy and gone. Not a very wise use of a player card.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

And it was an import card too - although with the new import rules teams will likely not use all their import cards - but you still hate to burn one.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Strathroy turning into Pelham?
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Without the Rockets 2 ties and 4 overtime losses, they would be in last place.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

i expected the rockets to have a better season than they are honestly
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I am more surprised that Lambton Shores hasn't done better so far after last season. Strathroy has been in trouble for a few years. As noted retaining players has been hard for them. If you talk to the fan base they haven't supported local talent very well. The prospect camp in May last year was as poorly attended as the home games. Management were quick to blame the London Nationals for not allowing prospects to attend. AP players from 2014-15 declined to attend both prospect and main camp. Veterans again defected to Exeter. A Strathroy minor midget goaltending prospect has affiliated in St Thomas this year. This season local player Tristan Sedlak is on pace to break the modern day Rockets record for game appearances by an affiliate. Will he play in Strathroy next season or go elsewhere? Past history is not on the Rockets side.
Perhaps a change in culture is on the horizon, with new board of directors and new assistant coaches. To be fair the GM and head coach are returnees in new roles. Attendance numbers are falling because they are losing, players are getting discouraged because they are losing. Empty seats breed empty seats. As a longtime Rocket fan said to me last Saturday, in the glory days we knew the kids on the ice.