16 Year Olds/20 Year olds

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

BeenThereDoneThat

16 Year Olds/20 Year olds

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Jr.B hockey is supposed to be about developing players for their future, either in education, helping them to become contributing and productive members to society or preparing them to move to the next level and helping them fulfill their hockey aspirations.
With this in mind you would think that the OHA would have rules in place similar to the OHL where their would be a limit on how many 20 year olds would be allowed per team. If each team were limited to, lets say 5- 20 year olds, there would be a better chance that the 20 year olds would be more evenly distributed throughout the league rather than having the vast majority of 20 year olds on the top 2 or 3 teams that are more financially able to offer more then those teams that struggle financially. If this were the case their would be a better chance that we might see more 16 year olds playing and developing, rather then having their cards traded to the teams in the lower positions of the standings.
This might help eliminate the gap between the haves and the have not's. Spend what ever you want to get your 5-20 year olds (not 9 to 14) and the remaining 20 year olds would then filter down to the remaining teams. This could also help more 16 year olds get the chance to develop at the Jr.B level rather than Jr.C or Major Midget levels.
No system is perfect but I do think the set up is better in the OHL then the GOJHL (OHA) Don't blame the teams that can afford to do what they have been doing to sign more 20 year, they are just doing what the OHA rules allow. :smt006
Port hockey1

Re: 16 Year Olds/20 Year olds

Post by Port hockey1 »

I was kind of thinking the other way...I would like to see 3 overage spots added for 21 year olds. I agree that this league is a development league. But this is also competitive hockey, a lot of teams are in this to win.

Maybe more balance is needed though. Maybe have a minimum for 16 & 17 year olds... Maybe force teams to carry either a pair of 16 year olds, and 4 or 5 17 year olds. Or, just seven 17 year olds if teams aren't happy with the 16 year olds in camp.

I don't know, just my opinion.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102