New Season

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

New Season

Post by RocketGirl »

I know that most team training camps aren't for another few weeks, but I'm just wondering, how does everyone feel about the upcoming season? How do you think your team is going to do? Who are the favourites? Who are going to be the surprises? Who's going to flop?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
boaaa17

Re: New Season

Post by boaaa17 »

I think our team the Rockets should be a close to 500 yeam(i hope). Sure we have lost quite a few solid players, but I think our returning players with the presumed added ice time compared to last yr and the new guys comming in it should be a suprising yr. The rockies from last yr have a yr under their belts now and i think we will see what they can really do with more ice and responsability given to them. Should be an interesting yr
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The first thing I think of with the new season coming upon us is coaching. With the exception of Chatham and Strathroy, the other clubs have very solid, experienced, rell respected head coaches. A lot of inexperience at the helm in Chatham and Strathroy. Roeszler does have a year under his belt in Chatham while Riggin with just 1 year of coaching experience will be undergoing his first year as a head coach. These are two very mature, responsible young men. I like them and I am looking forward to see how they progress with their coaching careers.

I always despised the shootout and I am looking forward to the new exciting overtime format. Three on three is going to be very wild to see, especially on the bigger ice surfaces.

We always hope for a very competitive season with a lot of parity. Bottom feeders are no fun for anyone. Merlin should have things in much better shape in St. Marys. He will bring back their glory days. Lambton Shores has been on the verge the last couple of years of breaking out. They might be a top 4 team this year. So much of it comes down to who is coming back. A huge problem for the league now is that most players enter the league as a 17-year-old. With Grade 13 gone, most students graduate from high school in Grade 12 when they are 17 so you only have them for one season. Most clubs lose a player or two to university or college in another city. Others that stay and are in post secondary often struggle and their hockey and marks both suffer. The team with the right blend of returning players and new arrivals has a huge advantage - a couple of phenomenal 16-year-olds doesn't hurt either.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I think Leamington will once again be a contender for a 3 peat, with a lot of returning players, London was a upcoming team last season and will be a force I think, Sarnia and Lasalle should both be very good. im hearing a rebuild in Chatham but I am sure they will be competitive. Inexperienced staff in strathroy will make things interesting there, I feel there a 500 team most likely. St Thomas middle of the pack. Hoping Merlin will turn St Marys into a contender once again. Also would be nice to see Lambton surprise a few people.
End of a era in Leamington
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

CP CANADIANS ‏@CPCANADIANS Jul 27
CPC aquires the rights to Alex Friesen from the Leamington Flyers of the GOJHL for a pdf. Welcome to the team Alex.

Looks like the Flyers have lost another one for next season.

That's the Carleton Place Canadians of the CCHL.

From what I can tell, Caledonia and Waterloo have taken the biggest hits with eligible returning players leaving.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I would say that CP Canadians have scooped up another high end player from the GOJHL. I understand that they had a very deep talent pool to choose from this year so this is a great achievement for Friesen. The CCHL is without a doubt the premiere Junior A league in Ontario and the CP Canadians are considered by many to be the top franchise in that league. Tough blow for Leamington, but they likely will have enough returning depth to stay as a top team. It would have been a crippling loss for some.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Friesen is going to school in that area that is why he has joined them. Good for alex wish him the best. Flyers have done alot of recuiting and will be fine. Cant wait for the season to start.
End of a era in Leamington
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Flyers mentioned the key word there - "recruiting". Now more than ever before scouting and recruiting can make the biggest difference on a team's success. Teams used to rely on enough talented local kids to give you a competitive club. Recruiting could only go so far because of the import rules, but those import rules are pretty wide open now.

All of the teams have a pretty good handle on who the best players are. Now that's when recruiting comes into play - convincing the kid to have him play for your club. It's one thing identifying the kid, it's another to get the kid to play for you. Chatham's Dave Torrie was the best at it.

A case in point - Justin Azevedo. The year before he played for the Maroons he went to the Rockets' camp and was offered a card in Strathroy. His dad thought he was too young and wanted him to wait another year. The Rockets thought they had him all wrapped up for the next season. Not so. Dave Torrie had a chat with him and the next thing the Rockets knew he was a Maroon. That is recruiting.

Will he play for you because of your coaching staff, your program, your history of moving players to a higher level, your ability to pay for his fees or possibly his education? There can be lots of reasons and recruiting falls into all of them - and it is not a level playing field for everyone. Teams with deep pockets can afford a larger scouting staff, do more recruiting and be in a financial position to offer more incentives.

Success breeds success. Everyone wants to play for a winner. We have had number of very strong teams, with great coaches and terrific programs. Now how do you land that final piece to the puzzle that might put you over the top?

Another wake up call last year when LaSalle, who despite losing a large number of players from the previous year, still managed to finish in fifth place and got to within 2 games of winning a Sutherland Cup. A lot of good scouting and recruiting there, not to mention a great head coach and program.
Last edited by Marcie on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia will be fine, top two.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Caledonia will be strong again, successful teams start rebuilding as soon as the season ends. They have recruited several strong players from everywhere to their program. An easy sell when you win consistently and have the resources to entice the top talent.

For example, Chatham committed to a 17 year old local kid that ripped up the Jr C loop last year very early, Lasalle committed to 2 strong local 17 year old players and another 17 year old Chatham product to rebuild early. Sarnia latched on to 3 local 17 year olds and a veteran defenceman . London has committed spots as well to players that could have ended up elsewhere. This is what the top teams do is commit early to local players that will play in the league somewhere else if they aren't signed. Good local players help generate gate revenue that helps build resources that help to recruit top talent from outside and fills the seats to create an atmosphere that the players want to play in. These teams along with Leamington are often thought of as the "have" teams because they have the resources to aquire what they need. Other teams are often thought of as the "have nots". They don't do well enough at the gate to be profitable often because they don't have enough locally known kids as a community draw, they don't win as much because they can't entice top players to come in, and often enough end up just developing younger out of area talent that at 18 or 19 will refuse to play unless they are traded to their local team. These teams don't recruit and retain as well and some of these teams seem content to fill a role within the league for being almost like a farm team for the have teams. How many players will teams like London and Chatham aquire (or re-aquire) during the next season or two from teams like Lambton Shores, Strathroy, St Thomas and St Marys? Time will tell.

The truth is that as long as some have not teams bring in players and trade them back home as matured veterans when they refuse to play for them anymore the cycle of being a group of have teams and have nots will continue.
Last edited by Oglethorp on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Oglethorp wrote:The truth is that as long as some have not teams bring in players and trade them back home as matured veterans when they refuse to play for them anymore the cycle of being a group of have teams and have nots will continue.
And that has been certain teams MO's for a very long time now. They treat some of the small market teams as their farm teams and ship off the 16 and 17 year old kids that they don't want to take the time to develop, and then when that kids gets to be 19 or 20, they want them back.
Queen of the GOJHL

Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

"And that has been certain teams MO's for a very long time now. They treat some of the small market teams as their farm teams and ship off the 16 and 17 year old kids that they don't want to take the time to develop, and then when that kids gets to be 19 or 20, they want them back."

Very true, however some of these small market teams set themselves up for failure by recruiting players from the larger market teams just to "get their rights", when they could go with either an almost equivalent local player or an import player from an area other than the team that has historically used them in the past. These players would be more likely to stick around as older players when they are needed most to compete in a Sutherland Cup. Maybe if the smaller market teams bit the bullet and refused to trade them back home to their real team of choice it would stop. In some ways the small market teams victimize themselves by developing players for their rivals.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:
Oglethorp wrote:The truth is that as long as some have not teams bring in players and trade them back home as matured veterans when they refuse to play for them anymore the cycle of being a group of have teams and have nots will continue.
And that has been certain teams MO's for a very long time now. They treat some of the small market teams as their farm teams and ship off the 16 and 17 year old kids that they don't want to take the time to develop, and then when that kids gets to be 19 or 20, they want them back.
It takes two teams to make a trade. Just something to think about:)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Oglethorp wrote:Maybe if the smaller market teams bit the bullet and refused to trade them back home to their real team of choice it would stop. In some ways the small market teams victimize themselves by developing players for their rivals.
Do you know how the trade process works because you need to have a damn good reason for refusing to trade a player.

Besides, do you really want a player on your team that doesn't want to play for you?
Queen of the GOJHL

GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Most of the trades I see are for cash, no player is going the other way.

IMHO if the player doesn't want to play for you then you let him sit.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

GoWest wrote:Most of the trades I see are for cash, no player is going the other way.

IMHO if the player doesn't want to play for you then you let him sit.

This is what the smaller market teams need to do if the want to break the cycle. Remember with the player is that intent on not playing for a certain team, the option of going to or being sent to a JrC team is still there. London after struggling early, rebuilt its team into a contender last season because they could get or were given players out of small market teams for not much more than cash in return. They potentially only lost on the deal with St. Thomas because the player ended up in the OHL shortly after the trade. The other trades London wins hands down.

St Thomas was very smart last year when they chose to select and develop 3 local 16 year olds. They did lose one to the OHL but the others could be huge assets. Previously they had success with Braden Hellems whom they signed as a local 16 year old until he eventually moved on to Jr A as a 20 year old. This team philosophy of developing their own will help St Thomas compete again with the bigger market teams and gain revenue from ticket sales.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Totally agree Oglethorp, and a team like London will make that deal with St. Mary's for those 2 guys all day. Why not? Unfortunately St. Mary's has to look like the bad guy if they deny the trade, but the kids knew what they were getting into in the 1st place, and that's how they will build a contender.

Speaking of London, I saw in the Golden Horseshoe forum that their captain is going to Caledonia. What's up with that??? What I find wrong is a team like Caledonia going out and buying a championship. Can you say three-peat?
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

OFFICIAL SIGNING: Stars sign the rookie of the year from last season in the SOJHL, Brody Smith.

This will be a great addition to St Thomas for the upcoming season. This could end up being the small market team to watch. Smith joins a good core of returning 17 and 18 year old players. With youth on their side, this could be a strong team for a few years. Likely still a season or two away from a Sutherland Cup run.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

GoWest wrote:Speaking of London, I saw in the Golden Horseshoe forum that their captain is going to Caledonia. What's up with that??? What I find wrong is a team like Caledonia going out and buying a championship. Can you say three-peat?
That rumour is in fact just a rumour because I've been told by a very reliable source that Todosichuk is remaining a National.
Queen of the GOJHL

GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Time will tell I guess, training camps open in a few weeks so it will be interesting to see who shows up where...
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Equally it will be interesting to see who does not return at all with a few teams. Time will tell.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Everyone is forgetting that the import rule was a big thing, but the new rule should really level the playing field for some smaller market teams in being able to offer ice time to players from the bigger midget teams to get them in their system early for development.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The import rule will also help top teams such as: Caledonia, Leamington, Elmira, St.Catharines, Chatham, Waterloo, etc. These teams will be able to bring in kids with their reputation now. :D

This might hurt small market teams that aren't serious about winning. The kids who would play for them simply because their other choices were already full on imports... They won't have that problem anymore.

This is why I'm a fan of this new rule. It allows the top teams to load up, but at the same time it levels the playing field. There's a few teams with recent losing seasons that previously iced top teams. But for the few teams not serious about winning... Good luck! :cry:
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I feel that the new import rule certainly puts the lower market teams at a disadvantage. It will be very hard for them to ever win a title. Teams with lots of cash can afford to hire a larger scouting and recruiting staff. The teams with the best programs and reputations will attract the best players but the main problem is that you have to billet all (or most) of the imports. Even a club like Stratford mentioned in the media this summer that the most players they could afford to billet is 7 or 8. Teams will reach a limit based on their finances as to how many billeted import players they can carry. The other angle is can a smaller market team who has an outstanding local player keep him? He is not an import to any other club in his conference. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The new import rule will help the teams that are serious about winning recruit the best kids, and those with a good history of developing players that move on the OHL will have an advantage as well. As for the local kid leaving for greener pastures, those teams now have more competition to deal with, so early communication and making them feel part of the team early can go along way. The advantage with the local kid that the teams have is that they likely grew up following the team so if they feel that the team wants them they will want the team. Of course there are always teams that simply don't have room in a given year for a local player. This is where the less serious teams can draw in some decent players, however a good number of those players will find a way to be traded back to their local team when the opportunity arises. We have seen this occur with some of the mid season acquisitions made by the larger market (often more serious) teams every year. Next year could be even tougher on some teams if the import rule goes to the next level by making players in the entire leagues catchment non-imports.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Marcie wrote:I feel that the new import rule certainly puts the lower market teams at a disadvantage. It will be very hard for them to ever win a title. Teams with lots of cash can afford to hire a larger scouting and recruiting staff. The teams with the best programs and reputations will attract the best players but the main problem is that you have to billet all (or most) of the imports. Even a club like Stratford mentioned in the media this summer that the most players they could afford to billet is 7 or 8. Teams will reach a limit based on their finances as to how many billeted import players they can carry. The other angle is can a smaller market team who has an outstanding local player keep him? He is not an import to any other club in his conference. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.
Honestly? I feel like it just levels the playing field for anybody who is plain SERIOUS about their team. Very few teams in this league pay their scouts. As in a handful total. Even good programs like Waterloo and Kitchener don't. This is a league of volunteers. If management is serious about the team and takes it serious, they have opportunities at players they likely wouldn't have before.

That's step one.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Reported on Twitter that the London coach, Kelly Thomson, won't be back behind the bench for this season. He's going to work full time and go back to school. No replacement named.

In a related note, the team is no longer for sale. I'm guessing they couldn't find a buyer. Does anyone know what the price tag was or what a team in the GOJHL is worth?
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

[quote="GoWest"]Reported on Twitter that the London coach, Kelly Thomson, won't be back behind the bench for this season. He's going to work full time and go back to school. No replacement named.

If this turns out to be fact, not the best time of year to be looking for a new head coach with main camp just around the corner, but the Nats are likely well enough prepared with a large number of returnees, the re-acquisition or Doty and likely a few commitments made since prospect camp. With the Nats being a Knights affiliate finding a replacement may not be too difficult. Former Preds head coach Dave Warren isn't currently listed on the Knights website as a staff member, so he could be a good candidate to take the reigns with his background working with the 1997 and 1999 age groups
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Lots of interesting posts on here...

Predictions before the season starts, while fun, is a mug's game -- especially in Jr. B. So much change and churn one year over the next (and tons more will happen before a regular season puck drops) that choosing winners/losers is like playing roulette. That said, I agree that coaching is a big question-mark for several teams, the latest being London. Thomson's departure seems to have come as a surprise and with the announcement being so close to camp, you have to wonder if there was an unresolved dispute between him and management that led to his leaving. Too bad; he'll be hard to replace as he seemed to really have the respect of his players... but no one is irreplaceable. I only know Dave Warren by reputation (he was mentioned above by Oglethorp) and on that basis my sense is he would not be a good choice. Regardless, whoever steps up will have a good core of returnees to work with, minus the departures of youngsters Worrad and Murray to Jr A and OHL clubs. There also remain other Nats veterans whose return seems uncertain due to informally reported opportunities in greener pastures. As they say, only time will tell. Leamington and LaSalle are likely to have strong teams yet again. Chatham, however, having lost a whack of vets from last year's stacked team, is a total crap shoot as to how they will be this year. And, with all due respect, I must say that Merlin will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat (or from a less elegant lower-body orifice) to get the lowly Lincs out of the cellar. Would love to be proven wrong on this for the sake of players, but until there's a change with the "upper" management and their approach to running the team, they will continue to be the basket-case of the West Div. You can fiddle all you want with import rules, etc. etc. Winning teams are led by winning management and winning coaches who know how to recruit, develop and RETAIN good players. Players seek trades when they feel they are not being treated well. Some teams are located in markets that have natural advantages -- due to the character of the arena, size of community, and fan base -- but at the end of the day, the problem with losing teams is not players who quit... it's with management that doesn't have the right stuff to win.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Pat Powers named Nationals coach http://www.lfpress.com/2015/08/13/pat-p ... head-coach Looks like a great catch by Nationals' management. Experienced CIS and formed GOJHL coach.