Showcase - 2015

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

RocketGirl

Re: Showcase - 2015

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm excited for the Showcase being basically in my backyard. The Western Fair is about 10 min. away from where I live. I will be there all weekend long.

I do wish that they'd spaced out the games more though. It's going to be hard to watch 3 games at the same time.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Seth

Post by Seth »

They picked the worst possible weekend of the year to put the Showcase in London, same time as the Western Fair. Good luck finding a parking spot within 5 blocks of the arena.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

It will be a very busy weekend in London, GOJHL Showcase, Western Fair, NHL Rookie tournament all going at the same time.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

I thought the showcase had teams playing outside there divisions? Why in the world are Thorald and Buffalo playing each other on Sunday?
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Vairs61 wrote:I thought the showcase had teams playing outside there divisions? Why in the world are Thorald and Buffalo playing each other on Sunday?
Well this wont be happening anymore haha. Not much they can do, 2 teams in same division would have to play in 1 of the conferences because of the odd number of teams.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Oglethorp wrote:It will be a very busy weekend in London, GOJHL Showcase, Western Fair, NHL Rookie tournament all going at the same time.
Why would they have the showcase on such a busy weekend? I don't understand it at all, and not just the parking being a hassle with the fair going on.
The NHL Rookie tournament will steal some of the Scouts looking at players that are trying out for these teams. Not all these players are signed to these NHL teams. A lot are just invites.

And why have the Showcase so early, the first two games of the season? So if you're a Scout and you got your eye on a 16 or 17 year old player,
how can you tell how good he's going to be in the first two games of the year? I'm not expecting to see that good of hockey, it's to early in the year.
The players are still trying to find where they fit in. The showcase should be about two months into the season.You would have a better idea on players.
I don't have a problem with it being in London, in fact I like it and I like the two games. It would be good if the three Conferences took there turns.
I know they had it planned for London, for a long time because of the situation with the Shoe. But to have it this weekend; while let's say it could of been better planned.They can't say they didn't know all this was going on.

Here's some information on the NHL Rookie tournament.
http://www.budweisergardens.com/events/1661
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Agree, bad time for the tournament.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

I'm not saying this weekend is an ideal time for the showcase but in defense of the league it's extremely difficult this time of year.

As far as the NCAA is concerned, they have pretty much a $0 budget for scouting, which is done mostly by assistant coaches. Sure they have bird dogs out at most of the games but to get the decision makers there is difficult. The D1 season starts the beginning of October and D3 in November. After the season starts, coaches are focused on wins and losses.

With all the Jr. leagues in Canada and the U.S. there are back to back to back showcase tournaments. So far as I know, the GOJHL is the only showcase going this weekend.

The CCHL had their showcase last weekend and according to twitter it was the most successful ever. They report having coaches/scouts from 170 different organizations, a 20% increase over last year. Every NHL team was there. The OJHL showcase is September 22.

On the up side, with the NHL rookie tournament there, at least the NHL scouts will be in town.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

http://overtimesportsnation.com/gojhl-s ... ept-11-13/

This is my Showcase Preview which includes some game predictions and where I think the teams will land in the standings.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »