2015-16 Schedule

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

2015-16 Schedule

Post by RocketGirl »

I've seen some things today that indicate that the schedule may be completed and released next week. Knowing the way the league operates, it'll probably be out in 2-3 weeks.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Re: 2015-16 Schedule

Post by Marcie »

The 2015-2016 ‪#‎GOJHL‬ Schedule will be announced this Wednesday, July 15th at 1 pm. (From the GOJHL facebook page)
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Which means work on the blog will officially begin for the new season. I've already been thinking of some new ideas to change it up, I just have to find the time to actually plan them out and do them, but is there anything specific people want to see?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Now 4:00 today tech issues
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

4:00 pass no schedule this league becoming a joke
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The league doesn't make information easy to find. The OJHL and CCHL both show massive amounts of players on their home pages going to college, the QMJHL, OHL grads rated in the draft etc compared to the GOJHL. The OJHL currently shows on their main site 58 off season player transactions and many teams have announced new player signings. The CCHL shows 26 player transactions, the GOJHL shows 0 unless you want to root through the twitter feed. Some more progressive teams have used their sites to introduce new players to their fan base, others have not very much posted since their 2nd last game last year. Better information would make the league look more professional, and allow prospective talent to best focus on a team to try to get into the league with. If you are a 16 year old left winger, would you focus on a team that has committed 2 cards and has 5 left wingers signed or explore options with a team that only has 2 left wingers committed and 2 open 16 cards? It needs to become more about attracting the best and developing them to graduate to better leagues.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Yes! Where's the friggin' schedule? Ruined my Christmas!
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Oglethorp I agree with you on the poor marketing done by the league. This schedule thing is just another example of shooting themselves in the foot. Why announce a time and date if they can't meet the commitment?

The bigger picture is that, despite having a great on-ice product and fantastic fan attendance, they are losing players to other leagues (OJHL, etc.) because they think they won't get the better exposure. The GMHL invasion is also going to take away players. This will only diminish the quality of play.

Although I don't support any kind of increase in the fees to play, IF (and that's a big IF) the league actually uses the funds they get from the new Assessment Fee like they claim (player development and promotion) then it may not be such a bad thing.d
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Is anyone really that surprised that it's not out yet? I told you it'd be more like next week, or even the week after.
Queen of the GOJHL

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

The schedule is on pointstreak
End of a era in Leamington
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I like that the showcase is the first weekend of the season that's a good idea also that its more central being in London this year. 2 Games per team is also a change. Loving that banner night Flyers home opener will be against the Strathroy Rockets. Also Chatham's home opener against Leamington.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Having 2 games at the Showcase isn't a change, they've gone back to it. When they started interlock play, we would play 2 at the Showcase, against each Conference, and then another 4, 2 home and 2 away, against the other Conferences.

What's so special about the Flyers banner night being against us?
Queen of the GOJHL

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

oh no special reason, Rockets vs Flyers games are usually pretty good battles. Hopefully RG you'll be able to make it down and catch the Banner ceremony. Less then 2 months til the season starts.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Thurs' are bad for me, so no guarantees.
Queen of the GOJHL

Northofusa19

Post by Northofusa19 »

I have a suggestion if you don't mind .If you don't have enough time for recaps of each game perhaps you can have volunteers write recaps for you .
I enjoy reading the game recaps .I'm sure you can find enough people on this site to write about three or four games each . This way we all get the best of both worlds .It may interest a future sports writer , or you can even appeal to a college that has columnist type of program to write as an internship .
Thanks
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You would think I could, but it seems to be quite difficult.

Last year, I sent an email to all the teams in July telling them about the blog and that they could have someone from their team post articles about them, and nobody seemed interested.

I had a kid last year that was going to write about the Golden Horseshoe. I received 1 article from him and didn't hear from him afterwards. He was a first-year student at Brock, so I'm sure he had trouble trying to balance school and everything else.

Anyone can sign up to post on the blog, so if someone would like to write game recaps, or anything, about their favourite team, have at it. At the start, I have to approve all topics before they're posted, but if you write well and I don't have a lot of editing to do, I can make you a 'featured writer' which means your topics are posted automatically, without me approving them.

If anyone is interested in writing for the blog, let me know.
Queen of the GOJHL