Is GMHL a Threat?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Is GMHL a Threat?

Post by RocketGirl »

I just found this article. It's not really GOJHL related, it's more about the GMHL, but has quotes from Commissioner Chuck Williams. I've bolded them at the bottom, but Chuck confirmed that the Showcase is in London this year. They've moved it from Thanksgiving to the first weekend of the year, Sept. 11-13, and each team will play 2 games each. It's very much like the kick-off weekends we used to have.

Rebel league tough to force in
By Morris Dalla Costa, The London Free Press

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/06/10/rebel ... o-force-in

In a region where there already is an alarming number of junior hockey teams, the last thing those want to see is someone giving birth to yet another junior hockey team.

It’s just another mouth to fight to get to the trough filled with players whose teams need to sustain themselves.

The Greater Metro Hockey League, a Tier 2 junior A-level league, has expanded to London with the London Lakers. It has also added the Komoka Dragons, Norfolk (Simcoe) Vikings and Kingsville Kings.

The GMHL is not affiliated with the Canadian Junior Hockey League and is not a member of Hockey Canada. It has teams in the Greater Toronto Area, Central Ontario, Northeastern Ontario and Quebec. It’s referred to as a rebel league.

The GMHL has more than 30 teams. There are no import rules. Players can play up to the age of 21 and their mandate, the league says, is to give players from 16 to 21 the chance to do a variety of things from developing and moving on to a better junior league, getting a second or third chance to get noticed by scouts or for the older players, simply getting a chance to play and win a championship.

It’s a league that really aggravates those that play within the Hockey Canada system. The Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League, junior B level hockey, has a West Conference with teams in Lambton Shores, Strathroy, St. Thomas, London, St. Marys and Sarnia. There are a slew of junior C teams operating in the area as well.

For the purposes of recruiting and better visibility, the GOJHL requested a move from B to A-level hockey last year, a move that was turned down by the OHA.

No doubt the Hockey Canada sanctioned teams feel hamstrung especially when these types of leagues and organizations are using the same selling-template the established teams are using.

The GMHL has been accused of not being a development league but a business because it charges players more than $7,000 to play for the season. The calibre of play has also been attacked as not being anywhere near a Junior A level.

With so many junior teams in the London area, there will likely be as much action off the ice as on it.

Jeff Zehr, the coach of the new London franchise, says he was warned that his league was not very well liked.

“What kids are investing in is their development,” Zehr said. “With that they get ice time, family advising and showcasing that they may not get in other leagues.

“We have to have broad shoulders as coaches, staff and ownership in this league because the other leagues and teams don’t like us. I don’t know why . . .

“As far as giving kids an opportunity to advance themselves, I don’t see why it’s such a big deal. Maybe teams get mad because kids are choosing to get that extra practice a week and advancing with guys that maybe have a better hockey background than some of the guys in other organization.”

Zehr is willing to let the league answer for itself.

“Just because we aren’t governed by Hockey Canada, doesn’t mean we don’t have a good product,” he said.

Chuck Williams, commissioner of the GOJHL, isn’t about to start a battle about who is bigger or better. When he was reached by telephone and asked about the GMHL, he delivered a statement without benefit of preparation.

“The Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League is the highest level of junior hockey played (below the level) of the Ontario Hockey League,” he said. “We feel we have a great product, a 27-team league that truly is dedicated to recruiting developing and promoting the best players available . . . We are sanctioned under Hockey Canada and with that comes a structure that benefits all the players and their families.”

But are you a better league?

“The short answer is yes, I believe we play a higher level of hockey,” Williams said.

And what about the claim the GMHL makes that they can do a better job of showcasing their players?

Williams couldn’t resist a little dig disguised as some propaganda for his league in answering that question. “Our league’s showcase tournament is in London, September 11, 12 and 13,” he said. “All 27 teams are in town playing two games each.”
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Re: Is GMHL a Threat?

Post by Marcie »

Did we pick up a team somewhere? The last time I checked the GOJHL only had 26 teams not 27 as commissioner Williams stated. Perhaps Buffalo is back this year? I heard rumours they might be back, or possibly move to a new location. Any news from the Golden Horseshoe on that?

If we have three 9-team conferences then everyone could play a team from each of the other 2 conferences at the showcase in London.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Maybe the rebel league calling themselves Tier2 Jr.A will get the OHA of their over controlling high horse and grant the Jr.B clubs the designation of Jr.A as per their request of about 2 years ago. :roll: :roll:
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

If the GOJHL or OHA think the GMHL is not a threat and will be going away, they are already in trouble. Although the product on the ice is not nearly as good, they definitely have a big advantage in the marketing department.

It won't be this year or next, but I say get your act together or look out...