Caledonia pushes Flyers to Brink of elimination

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

Caledonia pushes Flyers to Brink of elimination

Post by flyers2011 »

Dominating most of the game tonight a well earned victory for Caledonia. Flyers keep putting out a certain defenceman, who was a minus 4 give away after give away. Penalty shot was because of him, very frustrating to watch. Key part of this game was when the Flyers failed to score on a 5 on 3 Power play. Well deserved win for Caledonia. Do or Die Friday for the Flyers and Vipers.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Re: Caledonia pushes Flyers to Brink of elimination

Post by Port hockey1 »

Very surprised by the lopsided score. Was expecting a game similar to game 2.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Stkitts

Post by Stkitts »

I remember reading a post earlier in the year where some comments were made about the Golden Horseshoe league. When Caledonia was doing so very well, comments were made 'that is just shows how weak the Golden Horseshoe league is". (compared to the Western and Midwest leagues). Well now... Caledonia 6-2, 3-0 and 6-2 wins and the one loss in triple O.T.
Seems the Western league just isn't up to the level of the Golden Horseshoe league, now are they! (since Caledonia is handling the "league champs of the Western" quite...uhm... easily! Would that be the right word to use?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

What you don't seem to know about our Conference is that we play a more physical game than the other 2. Historically, the West doesn't do well when it comes to the Sutherland Cup rounds because our champion is so banged up, beat up, bruised, exhausted, etc. from 3 rounds in our own Conference where the teams beat the crap out of each other.

It's not like Leamington cruised through London or LaSalle, those were tough series for them.

I haven't seen a game in this series since Game 1 in Caledonia, but from what I heard, the last 2 games haven’t been the greatest and I’m wondering if experience is winning out.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:What you don't seem to know about our Conference is that we play a more physical game than the other 2. Historically, the West doesn't do well when it comes to the Sutherland Cup rounds because our champion is so banged up, beat up, bruised, exhausted, etc. from 3 rounds in our own Conference where the teams beat the crap out of each other.

It's not like Leamington cruised through London or LaSalle, those were tough series for them.

Excuses... :roll:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

History speaks for itself Port.

2000 Cambridge Winterhawks (MW) St. Catharines Falcons (GH) Chatham Maroons (WO)
2001 Elmira Sugar Kings (MW) Thorold Blackhawks (GH) Chatham Maroons (WO)
2002 Sarnia Blast (WO) Elmira Sugar Kings (MW) Niagara Falls Canucks (GH)
2003 Stratford Cullitons (MW) Thorold Blackhawks (GH) Petrolia Jets (WO)
2004 Stratford Cullitons (MW) Thorold Blackhawks (GH) Chatham Maroons (WO)
2005 Thorold Blackhawks (GH) Chatham Maroons (WO) Listowel Cyclones (MW)
2006 Cambridge Winterhawks (MW) Niagara Falls Canucks (GH) Chatham Maroons (WO)
2007 Cambridge Winterhawks (MW) Strathroy Rockets (WO) St. Catharines Falcons (GH)
2008 Tecumseh Chiefs (WOC) Elmira Sugar Kings (MWC) Thorold Blackhawks (GHC)
2009 Brantford Eagles (MWC) Stoney Creek Warriors (GHC) Sarnia Legionnaires (WOC)
2010 LaSalle Vipers (WOC) Brantford Eagles (MWC) Stoney Creek Warriors (GHC)
2011 Elmira Sugar Kings (MWC) Niagara Falls Canucks (GHC) St. Thomas Stars (WOC)
2012 St. Catharines Falcons (GHC) Brantford Eagles (MWC) London Nationals (WOC)
2013 London Nationals (WOC) Cambridge Winter Hawks (MWC) St. Catharines Falcons (GHC)
2014 Caledonia Corvairs (GHC) St. Catharines Falcons (GHC)* Leamington (WOC), Waterloo (MWC)

Since 2000, the Mid-West has 8 Cups, Shoe 3, and West 4. So I think that actually makes the Mid-West the strongest conference. But this is just semantics. We all believe that our Conference is the best and that the other 2 aren't, so.....
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

it varies from year to year whos that best, that doesn't really prove anything. And each team is banged up by the time they get to the Sutherland Cup, no matter which conference or which team it is. Like that for all 4 teams.
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Can you honestly say that a team (Corvairs) that went 44-3-2 on the season were beat up by the time they got to the Sutherland Cup playoffs? :)
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Touche Admin!

The theory on each Conference/League was always that we are the rough and tough West, the Mid-West focuses more on skill, and the Shoe was a mix between the two.

I understand that the style of hockey has changed, we're not the same rough and tough Conference/League from the mid-90's, but we still play a more physical game compared to the others.

Look at Chatham's dynasty era, 7 Western League titles in 10 years, and they only got 1 Sutherland Cup.
Queen of the GOJHL

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

which basically says the competition in the other conferences might be better RG. And Caledonia is VERY good and they did have a tough series with St Catharines and im sure they got banged up a bit. For those who have watched any of the Caledonia and Leamington games would see Caledonia is a very hard hitting team.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Administrator wrote:Can you honestly say that a team (Corvairs) that went 44-3-2 on the season were beat up by the time they got to the Sutherland Cup playoffs? :)
Yes. After playing 3 rounds of hockey, with the other team cross-checking, slashing ext. It takes a toll on any team. They aren't supermen.

RG, I know history speaks for itself, but you said Caledonia's great record only showed how weak the Shoe was...I think this series has proven that to be untrue. :)
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I haven't seen enough western conference games only a couple on you tube , we-tv and the showcase back in Oct.
I love your passion for the western conference but to say the west is more physical.
This just tells me you haven't seen enough games from the shoe or mid-west.
Look at the PIMs for each conference the west are in last place and the shoe only had 8 teams.
Calendonia has handle the rough and tough Leamington Flyers I just wonder who's rougher and tougher.
hurricane73

Post by hurricane73 »

I agree completely with Caledonia Fan. In the first game in Caledonia, Leamington came out very physical and hit everything in sight early in the game. Almost immediately Caledonia started hitting back even harder and for some reason Leamington stopped their physical play. Why? I'm not sure. Perhaps they realized that intimidation wasn't going to work. The PIM show clearly that the softest Conference by far is the Western although PIM don't exactly equate to the roughness/toughness of the games but they are a good indicator.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

The Sutherland Cup is not about the toughest or the best conference, it's about the best team. All 3 Conferences together are considered the best Jr.B League in Canada. Quit nit picking and enjoy what's in front of you. No, my team is still not playing but I enjoy watching the teams that are still in the hunt, regardless of which Conference they play in all year. :D :smt006 :D
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

RIGHT ON BTDT
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Well said everyone, well almost everyone.
Sunnydays

Post by Sunnydays »

Administrator wrote:Can you honestly say that a team (Corvairs) that went 44-3-2 on the season were beat up by the time they got to the Sutherland Cup playoffs? :)

Hundred percent. Playoffs is totally different hockey, I'd say other than the Pelham series the corvairs have had to work just as hard as any other team to get the series win. Just because the series is a 4-1 or 4-2 series doesn't mean every shift isn't an absolute grind. Playoffs take a toll on every one and I find this statement ridiculous
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Caledonia St.Catharines series could have gone either way all one goal looses a couple in overtime.
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Sunnydays wrote:Hundred percent. Playoffs is totally different hockey, I'd say other than the Pelham series the corvairs have had to work just as hard as any other team to get the series win. Just because the series is a 4-1 or 4-2 series doesn't mean every shift isn't an absolute grind. Playoffs take a toll on every one and I find this statement ridiculous
You can find it ridiculous all you want......the numbers don't lie.

Regular Season: 44-3-2
Playoffs: 12-1-1

No one said they didn't work hard, the statement said all teams were beat up by the time they got to playoffs. I HIGHLY doubt the Corvairs were "beat up" given those stats.
I find your ridiculous statement calling......ridiculous.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I am sure St Catharines banged them up a bit, I watched a couple of the games on you tube, was a VERY hard hitting series.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Administrator wrote:
Sunnydays wrote:Hundred percent. Playoffs is totally different hockey, I'd say other than the Pelham series the corvairs have had to work just as hard as any other team to get the series win. Just because the series is a 4-1 or 4-2 series doesn't mean every shift isn't an absolute grind. Playoffs take a toll on every one and I find this statement ridiculous

No one said they didn't work hard, the statement said all teams were beat up by the time they got to playoffs. I HIGHLY doubt the Corvairs were "beat up" given those stats.
I'm not going to get into Corvairs injurys all year or injurys in playoffs or suspensions.
There just one word DEPTH the best in the GOJHL.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Administrator wrote:

Well, you're wrong Admin! I watched most of Caledonia's playoff games. Pelham was the closest thing to easy I've seen in a while. Ancaster was physical and they banged the Corvairs up just as much as any other team did to their opponent. They lost a top scorer in the playoffs to injury, a few others played through minor injuries.

The St.Catharines series was very physical too, lots of hard, and borderline hits from both teams. Lots of slashing in both of those series too.

They had the best record, so to you, that means everything was easier on them? Nope, sorry, it was the opposite...Everyone played them that much harder, slashes, hard hits, teams have been using that style on them all season.

Again, I watched most of their games, nothing was easy.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:I am sure St Catharines banged them up a bit, I watched a couple of the games on you tube, was a VERY hard hitting series.
Admin is so wrong, it isn't even funny. Next time a team in the West dominates a season, I'll point out how easy they had it. :P :lol:

Last time I checked, teams play the top dogs harder, they're a lot more physical against them and it leads to injuries and worn down players.

As a fan of some top teams, I'm sure you know that all to well. :)
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

agreed. you don't make it this far without being banged up, Most hockey people should know that
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Port hockey1 wrote:
flyers2011 wrote:I am sure St Catharines banged them up a bit, I watched a couple of the games on you tube, was a VERY hard hitting series.
Admin is so wrong, it isn't even funny. Next time a team in the West dominates a season, I'll point out how easy they had it. :P :lol:

Last time I checked, teams play the top dogs harder, they're a lot more physical against them and it leads to injuries and worn down players.

Hey Port, don't you find it ironic that YOU'RE telling me my claims, which are based solely on stats, is completely wack? LOL
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Administrator wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:

Hey Port, don't you find it ironic that YOU'RE telling me my claims, which are based solely on stats, is completely wack? LOL
Nope. 8)
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I've always liked you Admin! :)
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:I've always liked you Admin! :)
Get a room. :mrgreen: :smt007
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

haha rediculious. A team that's playing its 5th round of playoff hockey isn't banged up, I don't get it. And RG kissing up ? I cant believe it
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

flyers2011 wrote:haha rediculious. A team that's playing its 5th round of playoff hockey isn't banged up, I don't get it. And RG kissing up ? I cant believe it
Don't talk about 5th round of playoff hockey, this statement was made prior to 5th round. Look, if you and Port start getting along and agreeing, I know something has gone horribly, horribly wrong. :D