Post by Marcie »

Game 2 - Caledonia at Leamington is being broadcast live on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rDganGIT0I

(No WE-TV tonight)
Port hockey1

Re: Game 2 Caledonia at Leamington live on YouTube

Post by Port hockey1 »

Going to triple OT, what a game.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Trying to watch that game on youtube was certainly a lesson in frustration. Not sure if it was youtube or lack of uplink from the arena but it was constantly choppy, video pausing almost every second for about 1 second, though no interuption to audio.
When Caledonia goalie tripped a Leamington player, the refs arm went up and the video froze. Tried to reload video, and it would just freeze at the same spot. Had to hit up pointstreak to find out Leamington had scored the winner.
I have two different connections from two ISPs in my house right now, so I'm sure it wasn't my connection. Great idea and appreciated, but brutal and unwatchable. :(
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The video isn't normally choppy like that.

And the broadcast was from Caledonia, a 3+ hour drive. I wasn't expecting perfection, but I do agree the pauses were frustrating.

Unwatchable, well you certainly stayed tuned to the end. :P :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I watched games 1 and 2 from Strathroy. Game 1 was perfect - no glitches. Sadly game 2 was a little irregular at times. Very unfortunate about the OT goal, but as fans we gratefully appreciate the tremendous effort to broadcast the games for us who can't make it to the games. I was surprised that WE-TV did not broadcast game 2, that would have saved the Caledonia crew the long trip down and back.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

I watched the later part of the game from here in Myrtle Beach and the picture was a little jumpy and froze at times but it was still the next best thing to being there. Special thanks to the crew that provided the feed. It looked like a great game all around and now we have a series.
Volvoman

Post by Volvoman »

I just saw the 'trip' on youtube. What a BOGUS call for a ref to make in triple OT. Ref must have been too tired to continue and needed the very first 'anything even close' to happen so he could get out of there! Where do these refs come from!!!!!
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

Volvoman wrote:I just saw the 'trip' on youtube. What a BOGUS call for a ref to make in triple OT. Ref must have been too tired to continue and needed the very first 'anything even close' to happen so he could get out of there! Where do these refs come from!!!!!
From what I saw on Youtube, the goalie played the puck, and then went back to make sure the Leamington player couldn't get through... not sure how that is bogus, unless he missed the puck completely, either way he had no business heading back towards the boards.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

not sure how it was bogus ? I was standing right there it was a clear trip and just before that Derkson was hit with a headshot and no call. Nothing bogus about it
End of a era in Leamington
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Port hockey1 wrote:...but I do agree the pauses were frustrating. Unwatchable, well you certainly stayed tuned to the end. :P :)
I guess you missed the part where I said the audio played fine, so I ended up just listening. :) Once that trip came, the entire video locked up, audio and all.

As for the penalty call, yes, the video clearly shows the goalie played the puck around the boards and went back behind the net solely to stop the Leamington player from getting to the puck. I'm sure he meant to slow him down, but got his stick in there with a clear trip. There is no disputing that call. It was very obvious.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Does anyone know how Caledonia's nickname "Corvairs" originated? It is quite unique.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I've been told, and it says it on their Wikipedia page, that the former Jr. C team in Caledonia was the Corvairs and when Brantford moved, they adopted the name again.

As for where it originated in the first place, I don't know.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I read that too RG. Other than the Chevy Corvair car, there are some folks who have converted Corvair car engines into airplane engines. Their former Junior C logo looks a bit aeronautical. I was just wondering on the historical reference.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote:I read that too RG. Other than the Chevy Corvair car, there are some folks who have converted Corvair car engines into airplane engines. Their former Junior C logo looks a bit aeronautical. I was just wondering on the historical reference.
I'm not positive, but I believe Corvairs is in reference to some kind of bird. I know there's a bird of some sorts called a Corvair,
that and their logo looks like a bird like creature.

I thought of the car right away too, after looking on Google I found the bird.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

The name Corvairs is after the car. The year the team started 1961 was the same yr the car was released. The main sponsor for the team at that time was the car dealer in town. I do wish they had kept the old logo, much better then the new one.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Vairs61 wrote:The name Corvairs is after the car. The year the team started 1961 was the same yr the car was released. The main sponsor for the team at that time was the car dealer in town. I do wish they had kept the old logo, much better then the new one.
Thank you for clearing that up, logo's not too bad though...I've seen worse. :)

I do like their colour's though.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Marcie wrote:Does anyone know how Caledonia's nickname "Corvairs" originated? It is quite unique.

In 1962 the Caledonia Corvair hockey club needed funding from the local Wills chev/olds dealership. Corvair the new Chevy compact featured at the time seemed to be an appropriate name to coerce the dealership into parting with dollars. As it turned out, a 300 dollar cheque was the only sponsorship required. The name no longer is thought of as a car to Caledonians but as a hockey team.

Taken from Caledonia - Along The Grand River
goalie34

Post by goalie34 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:
Marcie wrote:Does anyone know how Caledonia's nickname "Corvairs" originated? It is quite unique.

In 1962 the Caledonia Corvair hockey club needed funding from the local Wills chev/olds dealership. Corvair the new Chevy compact featured at the time seemed to be an appropriate name to coerce the dealership into parting with dollars. As it turned out, a 300 dollar cheque was the only sponsorship required. The name no longer is thought of as a car to Caledonians but as a hockey team.

Taken from Caledonia - Along The Grand River
No one anywhere thinks of Corvair as a car anymore. A worthless piece of unsafe garbage that would leave you stranded anywhere along the highway except at your destination. This is the type of car that if it had a trainer, that trainer would be named third star against its rivals.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Thanks for tbe origin of name. When I was looking online for an answer I noticed that Time magazine had the 61 Corvair listed in their 50 Worst Cars of All Time issue. I'm so glad to see that the franchise has faired much better than its namesake. The St. Marys Lincolns also received their name from a local car dealership.

Here's the review on the unfortunate Corvair automobile: Rear-engine cars are fun to drive and even more fun to crash. While rear-engine packaging offers enormous advantages, putting the vehicle's heaviest component behind the rear axle gives cars a distinct tendency to spin out, sort of like an arrow weighted at the end. During World War II, Nazi officers in occupied Czechoslovakia were banned from driving the speedy rear-engined Tatras because so many had been killed behind the wheel. Chevrolet execs knew the Corvair — a lithe and lovely car with an air-cooled, flat-six in the back, a la the VW Beetle — was a handful, but they declined to spend the few dollars per car to make the swing-axle rear suspension more manageable. Ohhh, they came to regret that. Ralph Nader put the smackdown on GM in his book Unsafe at Any Speed, also noting that the Corvair's single-piece steering column could impale the driver in a front collision. Ouch! Meanwhile, the Corvair had other problems. It leaked oil like a derelict tanker. Its heating system tended to pump noxious fumes into the cabin. It was offered for a while with a gasoline-burner heater located in the front "trunk," a common but dangerously dumb accessory at the time.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote:Thanks for tbe origin of name. When I was looking online for an answer I noticed that Time magazine had the 61 Corvair listed in their 50 Worst Cars of All Time issue. I'm so glad to see that the franchise has faired much better than its namesake. The St. Marys Lincolns also received their name from a local car dealership.

Here's the review on the unfortunate Corvair automobile: Rear-engine cars are fun to drive and even more fun to crash. While rear-engine packaging offers enormous advantages, putting the vehicle's heaviest component behind the rear axle gives cars a distinct tendency to spin out, sort of like an arrow weighted at the end. During World War II, Nazi officers in occupied Czechoslovakia were banned from driving the speedy rear-engined Tatras because so many had been killed behind the wheel. Chevrolet execs knew the Corvair — a lithe and lovely car with an air-cooled, flat-six in the back, a la the VW Beetle — was a handful, but they declined to spend the few dollars per car to make the swing-axle rear suspension more manageable. Ohhh, they came to regret that. Ralph Nader put the smackdown on GM in his book Unsafe at Any Speed, also noting that the Corvair's single-piece steering column could impale the driver in a front collision. Ouch! Meanwhile, the Corvair had other problems. It leaked oil like a derelict tanker. Its heating system tended to pump noxious fumes into the cabin. It was offered for a while with a gasoline-burner heater located in the front "trunk," a common but dangerously dumb accessory at the time.
Wow, great write up. :)