Falcons eliminated...Sort of

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Falcons eliminated...Sort of

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia rallied from a 2-0 first period deficit to win game 5 by a score of 3-2 in double OT.

It was a great set of OT periods, the winning goal was scored by Tyler Lepore(2nd of game) on a rebound, the goalie had no chance what so ever. Lepore was easily the most dangerous player on the ice in OT.

The Falcons deserve a lot of credit, they were missing 7 players tonight due to injury. 5 of their top 9 forwards too, ouch. Down a dman & their starting goalie...What a game they played!

Jon D'Ilario should get all the credit in the world, after only playing half of a game in relief, in round 2 in these playoffs, Jon was outstanding since starter Ben Csiernik went down with an injury two games ago.

The Corvairs looked sluggish at times, but that could have just been a antsy Falcon team that knew their season might be on the line tonight. AP's MacDonald & Lee played great, and seemed like they had been there all season.

Caledonia was missing two top forwards but once again were able to absorb their absences with great depth...A hurting Falcons lineup also helped.

The Falcons will likely still advance though as the wildcard team. The only way they don't is if LaSalle comes back from a 3-1 series deficit to beat Leamington. Leamington would then get the wildcard.

Notes: Falcons were without B,Caiernik, N.Dozzi, C.Timmins, T.Jackson, J.Evans, M.Manns & T.Hildebrandt.

Corvairs were without snipers K.Tanev & J.Peacock. The Falcons started the game down two more forwards, as De Sousa & Blakely both had to serve 10 minute misconducts for warmup violations. Blakely was then lost for the final two periods for a checking-from behind call late in the 1st period. Officials called a good solid game. Marc Sinclair made his first start of the series for Caledonia, he played outstanding.
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
zantimisfit

Re: Falcons eliminated...Sort of

Post by zantimisfit »

Port hockey1 wrote: The Falcons will likely still advance though as the wildcard team. The only way they don't is if LaSalle comes back from a 3-1 series deficit to beat Leamington. Leamington would then get the wildcard.

Hey dumbass know-it-all, LaSalle only needs to win tomorrow night, not win three games to advance to the final four. What a birdbrain. :roll:
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Was at the game tonight. Congrats to the Corvairs for winning their second consecutive Horseshoe Crown. You earned it. Great crowd and great atmosphere and to add to the excitement a great 50/50 jackpot.

Now to the St.Catharines team, if this had been a war, you all would have received the Purple Heart. You guys never waivered in your attempt to stay alive. To the young midgets that the Falcons brought up, hats off to you guys, you were outstanding. To the vets, you all gave great examples throughout the Welland and Caledonia series. To all of you, your heart and desire in this series will not soon be forgotten.

To the Coaching staff, all I can say is "WELL DONE BOYS". You have certainly earned your spots in this storied and proud franchise with your performance over the last 4 years and in particularly, this Horseshoe Finals :smt041
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

zantimisfit wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote: The Falcons will likely still advance though as the wildcard team. The only way they don't is if LaSalle comes back from a 3-1 series deficit to beat Leamington. Leamington would then get the wildcard.

Hey dumbass know-it-all, LaSalle only needs to win tomorrow night, not win three games to advance to the final four. What a birdbrain. :roll:
Thanks zant, I feel much better now. :smt003 :smt006 :smt020
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

The Falcons will advance cannot seeLeamington loosing tonight when they can win the Western Championship on home ice.
Volvoman

Post by Volvoman »

Re: Wildcard spot-zantimisfit wrote:
[quote]Hey dumbass know-it-all, LaSalle only needs to win tomorrow night, not win three games to advance to the final four. What a birdbrain.

Ok, maybe you can enlighten me as well. I really don't know a ton about how the wildcard spot works other than the team with the best win % gets the spot. Correct? Right now St. Catharines has .700 win %. (as stated in the standings).
LaSalle currently has .643. A win for them tonight will give them .667 (10 wins /15 games played = .667).
Another win for them would give them .688 (11 wins / 16 games played = .688)
The 7th game played and if LaSalle would win, means 12 wins at 17 games played for .705.
So... does LaSalle not have to win the remaining games to advance? (which means winning the division anyway).

Help me out if I'm figuring this out wrong!
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

First of all Volvoman, you have to disregard the pointstreak standings. Overtime losses don't count in the win % for the wildcard team. So currently St.Catharines and Stratford are tied with 9-6 records and a .600 win %. LaSalle is 9-5 right now and a win tonight gives them a 10-5 record guaranteeing them of at least a .666 win %. which would surpass both St. Catharines and Stratford. They could also win the next three games and win the West title but they don't have to. Leamington has also won a spot in the final four whether or not they win the West. Hope that explains it for you. :)
Volvoman

Post by Volvoman »

Thanks zantimisfit! I had no idea to ignore the pointstreak standings. Guess that would do it!
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Hey, no problem Volvoman. I'm always glad to be of assistance. Some people need help with mental problems(we all know who that is) but unfortunately I'm not a doctor so I can't help them. They have to seek professional help themselves.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

zantimisfit wrote:

We don't all stare at the standings after every game Zant...Some of us try to remember them and take a guess...
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

zantimisfit wrote:Hey, no problem Volvoman. I'm always glad to be of assistance. Some people need help with mental problems(we all know who that is) but unfortunately I'm not a doctor so I can't help them. They have to seek professional help themselves.
And hopefully you take your advice one of these days. :mrgreen: :smt006