Wildcard Team

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

zantimisfit

Wildcard Team

Post by zantimisfit »

As it stands now, Elmira is 8-0, Caledonia is 8-1 and St.Catharines, Stratford, Leamington and LaSalle are all 8-2. It's looking like the loser of the conference final that goes on the longest will be the wildcard team and if two of those losing teams are tied it will come down to goal differential. What conference series do you think has the potential to go the maximum seven games?
Caledonia Fan

Re: Wildcard Team

Post by Caledonia Fan »

St Catharines & Leamington one loss & otl loss for 17 pts and a wpct - .850
Stratford & Lasalle two losses for 16 pts and a wpct - .800
Caledonia one loss pts 16 wpct - .889
Elmira o losses pts 16 wpct - 1.000

To early to call I would like to see Caledonia & St Catharines just because I'm a G H fan.
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Caledonia Fan wrote:St Catharines & Leamington one loss & otl loss for 17 pts and a wpct - .850
Stratford & Lasalle two losses for 16 pts and a wpct - .800
Overtime losses don't count in the wildcard win percentage according to the OHA. Pointstreak lists it as such but it doesn't matter. So St.Catharines, Leamington, Stratford and LaSalle are all tied at 8-2.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Honestly, I think the wildcard format is incredibility stupid which rewards losers, for example, St. Catherines last year. St. Catherines was defeated for the GH Trophy but then made it to the Sutherland Cup finals because they were the wildcard and defeated Leamington.

Sure the round robin wasn't perfect, but it insured that the Sutherland Cup didn't stay in one conference, and not just a repeat of the conference finals.
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Since this wildcard system has been introduced, the Sutherland Cup final should be between the best two teams in Ontario. St. Catharines and Caldedonia were the best two teams in Ontario last year and they proved it by both making it to the final. I would have no problem if two teams from the same conference, no matter which conference it is, battle it out for the cup once again this year or whenever.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

jfvoll wrote:Honestly, I think the wildcard format is incredibility stupid which rewards losers, for example, St. Catherines last year. St. Catherines was defeated for the GH Trophy but then made it to the Sutherland Cup finals because they were the wildcard and defeated Leamington.

Sure the round robin wasn't perfect, but it insured that the Sutherland Cup didn't stay in one conference, and not just a repeat of the conference finals.
The round-robin involved three teams instead of four. The only difference was any team that lost a best of seven series was done. With this format, the best loser gets another shot. Not a bad idea, better than having a round-robin IMO.

I don't see how the round-robin insured the Sutherland Cup didn't stay in one conference. The Mid-West & West have won a lot more than the Shoe. I see what your angle is though, with the round-robin there was no chance of a Sutherland Cup final involving two teams from the same conference. But why not as Zant said, have the two best teams in Ontario in the finals where they belong?

Better than seeing one conference sweep the other for the Cup. The CHL also uses a similar format.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Due to Caledonia's loss last night, the Elmira Sugar Kings have clinched a spot in the final four of the Sutherland Cup playoffs. They will advance to the next round as either Cherrey Cup champions or as the wildcard team since their playoff win percentage can not be beat by any other losing team in the other conference finals.
hurricane73

Post by hurricane73 »

Just curious. Zant you may be right, but what if Stratford and St. Catharines run the table from here and let's say Leamington wins the West. Elmira and Caledonia would both have four losses. What is the tie-breaker? Caledonia certainly has a larger goal differential. Why would Elmira get the wildcard?
hurricane73

Post by hurricane73 »

Oops, sorry, you're right, Caledonia lost one in the round with Ancaster, so Elmira definitely is in.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Currant wild card standings

1.St.Catharines 9-3-2 .714 win%, 58-34 GF,GA.
2.LaSalle 9-4-0 .692 win%, 48-38 GF,GA.
3.Stratford 9-4-1 .679win%, 53-41 GF,GA.

This is assuming Caledonia, Leamington & Elmira all win their series...Looking that way.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Ignore those winning percentages. Overtime losses count as losses not half a win like they do in the regular season. We ever ends up with the fewest losses, regulation and overtime combined will win the wild card.
LaSalle 9-4
St. Catharines and Stratford 9-5
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote:Ignore those winning percentages. Overtime losses count as losses not half a win like they do in the regular season. We ever ends up with the fewest losses, regulation and overtime combined will win the wild card.
LaSalle 9-4
St. Catharines and Stratford 9-5
Math isn't my favorite subject. lol Thanks for clearing the wild card situation up. :)
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Current leaders for the goal average of the three losing teams so far are:

1. St. Catharines with 0.630 avg.
2. Stratford with 0.563 avg.
3. LaSalle with 0.558 avg.

LaSalle, with an upcoming home game, have a great opportunity for getting a spot in the final four if they can defeat the Flyers at Vollmer.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

The current standings and win percentages are:

Leamington - 10-3 = 0.769
LaSalle - 9-4 = 0.692

Elmira - 11-1 = 0.917
Stratford - 9-5 = 0.643

Caledonia - 11-2 = 0.846
St. Catharines - 9-5 = 0.643

Tomorrow night, all 3 are playing, so we'll have a better idea of who will get it. IF Stratford and St. Catharines both lose, and LaSalle wins, LaSalle is in.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Only way Falcons don't advance is if LaSalle can win 3 straight. I'm pulling for LaSalle. :smt003
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

I think the Falcons will advance i doubt Leamington will lose three in a row .
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

For LaSalle to get it, all they have to do is win tomorrow night. Push Leamington to 6 games and they're in. If LaSalle looses, them, Stratford and St. Catharines all have the exact same record and if it comes down to goal differential, I think the Falcons are in.

Also, based on my calculations, Elmira is No. 1 and Caledonia is No. 2.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Yay RocketGirl....the only other person on here that understands this thing. St. Catharines will definitely advance if LaSalle loses tomorrow night because the Vipers can't possibly catch them in goal differential. Exact same situation as last year, Leamington with a chance to win the cup on home ice can once again help the Falcons advance on goal differential. What are the odds on that? You are also correct about Elmira, they are now the "so-called best team in Ontario" because they're playoff record has been the best. The regular season doesn't mean anything now.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The Flyers have already punched their ticket too. Even if LaSalle performs a minor miracle and wins the next 3 to take the West, Leamington will easily win the wildcard with 11 wins. So the only question is can LaSalle win just 1 more game. If not the Falcons would easily win the wild card on goal differential.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

zantimisfit wrote: You are also correct about Elmira, they are now the "so-called best team in Ontario" because they're playoff record has been the best. The regular season doesn't mean anything now.
...Until the Sutherland Cup is won anyways. :wink: :mrgreen:
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Really hope the Flyers toss their next game...They'd be better off facing LaSalle again over St.Catharines.

Flyers, toss the game. :smt003 :smt003
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

zantimisfit wrote:Yay RocketGirl....the only other person on here that understands this thing.
Would you expect anything less from the Queen? I've been keeping track of the wildcard and goal differentials for the entire play-offs.

Caledonia vs. Leamington in the semis will be a good series. Although I was hoping for Elmira vs. Leamington, but that could happen in the finals.
Queen of the GOJHL

three dog night

Leamington will not toss the game they will play Caledonia first.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2015 ... wild-card/

Quick little recap I came up with this morning about the Sutherland Cup seeding and Wild Card determination.
Queen of the GOJHL

Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Nicely done. Looking forward to watching the game online tonight on We-TV.
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Port hockey1 wrote:Really hope the Flyers toss their next game...They'd be better off facing LaSalle again over St.Catharines.

Sounds like you're really scared of the Falcons getting another shot in the Sutherland Cup playoffs?? I don't blame you. Whatever happened to "I always cheer for all the 'Shoe teams to do well in the Suthie"? Last year you we're happy both teams got in there. Why the change of attitude poopsie. :smt025
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

zantimisfit wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:Really hope the Flyers toss their next game...They'd be better off facing LaSalle again over St.Catharines.

Sounds like you're really scared of the Falcons getting another shot in the Sutherland Cup playoffs?? I don't blame you. Whatever happened to "I always cheer for all the 'Shoe teams to do well in the Suthie"? Last year you we're happy both teams got in there. Why the change of attitude poopsie. :smt025
If you saw the comments that were posted to the live feed last night...Maybe you'd understand. I also would really like to see who I think are the two best teams meet in the final.

Still leaves a Shoe team...But if the Falcons do face the Corvairs again...for the cup, I can't complain...A sure thing the Shoe wins!
three dog night

They count overtime looses all season why do they not count for the wild card .
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Because there's no points in play-offs. It's games. The first to 4 wins takes the series.
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looks like Zant won't have much to say now. :smt003 :smt005 :smt006