Fan reaction to new import rule

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Fan reaction to new import rule

Post by Port hockey1 »

For those that don't know, the import rule has changed. What this means is every team in the Golden Horseshoe will now have the same drawing area. With past rules it was hard to make trades with teams that had a different drawing area because you would need to sign that player to a import card. It was also unfair because some teams had larger drawing areas than others. Now we have a level playing field.

I like this rule change. Now teams have a equal shot at the talent pool within the conference. Teams with solid reputations like Caledonia, St.Catharines, Welland & Ancaster will now be able to load up on talent without having to use a import card. There's a lot of talent in the Shoe's drawing area. Those teams will also be able to go after 7-8 imports that live outside of this large area.

As for the other teams: Thorold has a great winning history. But I've heard things aren't the same since the ownership change. I'm not saying that in a negative way, just what I've heard. But with a lot of returning players and a players kind of coach, they should be able to land some good talent.

Niagara Falls The longtime winning tradition including a Sutherland Cup under the Masterson family will no doubt help them recruit from the bigger drawing area. Its up to the new owner to keep their good name a float. I don't know much about him, other than his former NHL status will help land players, goalies in particular.

Fort Erie They have a history of finishing near the bottom. Ownership says they focus on sending players to the next level. Always been a bit of drama around them as well. I think this new rule might set them back after a great season. With Hubbert, effort will never be a problem. Finding the talent to compete with the big boys might be a big issue.

Pelham This will hurt a team with a very bad reputation already from their days in Port Colborne. The ownership is without a doubt the worst in the league(IMO). With word out about this organizations past...I think this rule will be a huge blow for them.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
zantimisfit

Re: Fan reaction to new import rule

Post by zantimisfit »

The only downfall I see is that there will be a big drop in "hometown" talent for most of the teams. If all players within the 'Shoe's geographical area are considered locals and not imports then somebody's got to suffer. However, I think it is fair that all players are considered equal and fair game for all teams within their conference's geographical area.
Caledonia Fan

Re: Fan reaction to new import rule

Post by Caledonia Fan »

It seems to me the RICH GET RICHER!