Possible changes to import rules, possible new team

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Possible changes to import rules, possible new team

Post by Port hockey1 »

At the GOJHL meeting held Saturday in Woodstock, changes to the import rules were to be discussed. A few years back there was talk of any player within GOJHL teams boundaries not being an import no matter what team he is on. Now they're talking about something similar. If the league gets their way, any team will be able to sign players from anywhere within the conference they are a part of.

Example: Any player that lives in a teams boundaries in the West would be able to sign with any Western team without being considered an import. Teams say it is very hard to trade players with the currant import rules. Currently Stratford says they're
forced to deal with mostly Listowel & St.Marys due to the geographical area or are forced to use a import card when making trades with other teams.

Another complaint is teams drawing area's are all different sizes. This would level the playing field.

Also, there is a group reportedly filing for a expansion team for the 2016-2017 season. It is believed they want to start a franchise in Collingwood.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Re: Possible changes to import rules, possible new team

Post by flyers2011 »

very good post. Lots of interesting info. Will be interesting to see what happens with the imports.
End of a era in Leamington
Dr. Pepper

Post by Dr. Pepper »

It will be interesting to see how many players jump ship to the GMHL jr "A" league that is putting expansion teams in London, Komoka, and Kingsville for the 2015 - 16 season. Those teams will be based in the GOJHL western conference zone
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Dr. Pepper wrote:It will be interesting to see how many players jump ship to the GMHL jr "A" league that is putting expansion teams in London, Komoka, and Kingsville for the 2015 - 16 season. Those teams will be based in the GOJHL western conference zone
That league is joke. I heard a player that couldn't make Jr. C made those teams
richard

Post by richard »

You should watch Halton play. They are no joke! League and rules far different oha teams do not need to fret about it.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

When they were talking on the Jr. C board about Kingsville getting a team, someone made the comment that because the GMHL is not sanctioned by the OHA, anyone who signs a card for them is no longer able to play for an OHA team. So if they got cut by the GMHL team, they couldn't go and play for 1 of our teams or a Jr. C team, or even the OJHL. I haven't bothered to do any research on it, but does anyone know if that's true?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:When they were talking on the Jr. C board about Kingsville getting a team, someone made the comment that because the GMHL is not sanctioned by the OHA, anyone who signs a card for them is no longer able to play for an OHA team. So if they got cut by the GMHL team, they couldn't go and play for 1 of our teams or a Jr. C team, or even the OJHL. I haven't bothered to do any research on it, but does anyone know if that's true?
I have been told that is true by several people. The OHA, I've been told says, play for them and you're not welcome back.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

This sounds like it would have legal ramifications.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Expanded non-import area a big change
By Steve Rice, Stratford Beacon Herald
http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/20 ... big-change

“I don’t see us maxing out on import cards ever again,” Stratford Cullitons’ director of hockey operations Jason Lott said.

That’s the impact of an agreement between the Ontario Hockey Association and the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League to radically expand the import territories for junior B teams.

Up until now teams have had been limited to a few neighbouring counties as their non-import region. The Cullitons, for example, had Perth, Huron and Oxford counties from which to draw. Anyone outside that region — including players a half-hour down the highway in Waterloo County — were considered imports.

Teams can sign a maximum of eight imports, and play a maximum of seven in any one game.

Last weekend it was announced that all players inside the geographic area of each GOJHL conference are now non-imports to every team in that conference.

For the Midwestern Conference, that expands the non-import area north to Grey and Bruce counties, east to Peel and south to Brant and beyond.

A rough calculation indicates the Cullitons’ non-import area has gone from a population of just over 200,000 to nearly 3 million.

“I just don’t see us getting to seven import cards ever again the way this opens things up,” said Lott, adding that one of the biggest changes will be for players who were formerly considered imports even when they live close enough to commute.

“Anybody that is within a one-hour or less drive that falls within our new region now, it will make it easier for us to make a decision on those players. They’re likely not a billet player and they’re not an import anymore, which will make things easier for us on deciding who to keep or who not to keep.”

Lott says the Cullitons are “maxed out” at seven billeted players.

The team’s scouting isn’t likely to change because of the expanded boundaries, Lott said, noting that they already scout the four Junior C leagues in the area extensively.

“I think we’ve done a good job of covering those leagues and we often have players from all those leagues attend our camps,” he said.

Canal doing nicely

For those keeping track, Tyler Canal is 15-2 since having his title changed from assistant coach to interim head coach late in the season (7-0 regular season, 8-2 playoffs).

If his day job and a young family allow him to commit to the job, he’ll have to be given strong consideration to be named head coach after the season’s over.

“I’m not surprised at how well Tyler has done, but I’m very impressed,” Lott said. “I think the guys have a lot of respect for Tyler and his hockey knowledge, and that he has a lot to teach him. And they buy in to what he’s doing.”

Many of the in-the-game adjustments are not new to the team but it’s now obvious that Canal and Tim Schultz were a part of those decisions as assistants to Phil Westman, Lott noted. And they continue to operate as a team, with goalie coach Mark Nelson now also on the bench.

Lott added that there was never any consideration to bringing in another outside person as an assistant and that Nelson “has done a great job” and his move to the bench hasn’t changed the team’s focus.

It was mentioned in a note following Game 5 that Canal was in the Cullitons’ lineup when Stratford last faced the Elmira Sugar Kings in the Cherrey Cup final in 2002.

Canal was on the team but didn’t actually get a chance to play, having sustained an injury in the semifinals against Cambridge.

Teammates included Jonathan Lupa, Reid Jantzi, Eric Leroux — all D1 scholarship players — and captain Kendrick Nicholson, now an NHL referee.

No expansion plan

The GOJHL is not looking to expand anytime soon, Lott reiterated this week.

In spite of that, a Collingwood group is going to great lengths to get a new franchise in the GOJHL for the fall of 2016.

In a letter to the city’s parks and rec department, Derek Morrison and Wade Kosowan said they’ll pay $50,000 in trust to the town for ice time, agree to pay off debt from a previous ‘outlaw league’ team, the Collingwood Ice, and offer the town and minor hockey group with revenue sharing proposals.

Morrison, a police officer who lives in the Toronto area, would be the team’s head coach and general manager. His son, Ethan, was a defenceman in Brampton and Listowel this year.

The Collingwood Blues lost 4-3 to the St. Marys Lincolns in the 1976 Sutherland Cup final. The franchise operated as a Junior A club in the late 80s through 2011.

Dutchmen will be strong again

This year’s Kitchener Dutchmen team performed beyond expectations, and it will be no surprise to see them near the top of the conference next season and challenging for the Cherrey Cup.

Among the players eligible to return are Adam Kawalec, Connor Cole, Alex Demrovsky and goalie Jackson McIntosh.

“After last season we were coming into this season as a rebuild,” coach Todd Hoffman said after the Dutchmen were eliminated Wednesday. “We were very pleased with the way the regular season went. Not very happy with the loss in this series, but it builds character for the guys coming back for next year, which will be a good thing for us.”

Treatment for Divo

Former Dutchmen defenceman John Divo began the process of his stem cell transplant this week.

The 20-year-old from Baden heard the news of a match in late February, after being diagnosed with leukemia at the end of 2013.

Divo will spend about the next two months in a Hamilton hospital, going through numerous tests before and after the process.

A fundraising campaign is set up to help his family though the fight.

Garbowsky up for honor

Former Brantford Golden Eagle Matt Garbowsky is one of 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker award as the top U.S. college hockey player.

A senior at RIT, the St. George, Ont. native is fourth in Division 1 scoring with 50 points, including 26 goals, tied for second.

steve.rice@sunmedia.ca
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Great news on the import rule.