London coach cries double standard

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

London coach cries double standard

Post by Port hockey1 »

A very interesting article in the London Free Press under "local hockey" Their head coach takes a shot at the Maroons saying teams need to start developing players. He talked about how bad it is for the league to be buying up the talent to go for a championship. Hmm...

Here's a comment that was left under the story in the paper:

By Cpt. Obvious

Wait.....Didn't the Maroons real head coach resign like 6 weeks ago and the video coach took over the bench?? And isn't the Nationals the team that spent like 30K on players from other teams to insure their playoff run two years ago?? Everybody loves an underdog story...don't know many who love a guy that pats himself on the back for beating a video coach then cries double standard...this article shows a lot about this coaches character. Disappointed that its coming from a London team, we're usually pretty humble.

A reply to the comment reminded the person about the two kids that demanded out of St.Marys this season. Person said they both quit on a great coach(Merlin) Also pointed out how those kids were compensation for the stars London got from them...Hypcrite! What a coach. :lol: :lol:

The story is also posted on the GOJHL blog.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Re: London coach cries double standard

Post by flyers2011 »

I know RG thought the comments by thomson were good, but I took the time to read this article, seems funny that Thomson is taking jabs at Chatham for trying to buy a championship which they did, but London did the exact same thing when they won the league and sutherland cup, seems like a double standard.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

It really would be something if we limited trades and imports. If players were forced to play in their areas, I wonder if things would be similar, or if some teams would do better than others.

Maybe have a few imports per team for kids that don't live in any of the drawing areas. I wonder if that would even everything out...or just give teams in areas where talent is known to come from the upper hand.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I was a disappointed in Thomson's comments, too, given that past London teams have been stacked with older players brought in on trades. In the West div, London has the advantage of being a large population centre in which the rights to local kids are automatically owned by the Nats -- players can't try-out for other nearby teams without a release. Then, add to that the handful of skilled players who come to London from elsewhere in the province, or out of province, to study at Western or Fanshawe, and you nicely find yourself with an impressive pool of talent to choose from -- at least relative to smaller centres. And it doesn't hurt being in the same hometown as one of the most successful Jr A franchises on the planet.

But here's the thing... all that said, this year's London team IS very young (Wooley and Tugwell are the only 1994s), and they are all from London (or bedroom suburbs on the London's outskirts like Birr and Nilestown) except for two GTA kids (Goodman and Kreis) and one kid from Calgary (Bean). Kreis is here because he's a draftee to the Knights and the other two out-of-towners are here because they are students at Western. To be completely accurate, Wooley is from St. Thomas, which makes him the only "true" import brought in on a trade. DiLoreto, Ruddock and Hughes who came mid-season on trades are all London boys, the former two being students at Western who demanded trades because they were sick of playing for the Lincolns. People can talk conspiracy theory all they want; the boys were not pursued by the Nats, but rather were prepared to quit playing and focus on school unless they could play for their hometown, where they belong.

So Thomson can say with a straight face that THIS team has been built with a vast majority of young local kids, and that the Nationals organization is developing the team from the ground up rather than "buying" it -- as was the case in Chatham this season. With two 98s, six 97s, six 96s, and six 95s on the current roster, this team has very good potential to look practically the same next year -- except one year older, stronger and faster. If the management play their cards right, they could fill in a few holes with some local Jr A 1995s who may be returning home to London if those players don't find over-age spots on their current OHL clubs. Combine that with the experience and confidence they're gaining with their unexpected success this post-season (every game they win now is gravy...) and Thomson's Nationals are going to be a team to be reckoned with next year.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

I don't disagree with the above but can't help feel that the coach is politicking (is that a word) for a Major Jr. job where working with younger kids is more of a priority.

There has been a lot of social media on that topic throughout the season and it has continued into the playoffs.

I say power to him if he can progress up the ladder, isn't that the dream of us all? If he does go, however, it would be a big hole to fill for next season.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Of course KT wants his turn in the O. And the deeper he carries this year's team into the post-season, the stronger his already strong resume will be -- rightly so with such a young team punching above its weight. He and the GM have a legit West Div championship contender on their hands THIS season, and the makings of a legit Sutherland Cup contender for NEXT season. He should be in the running for coach of the year. The Nats owners, who want to sell, have themselves a very good-looking product to offer for anyone looking to buy a franchise -- but that would be diminished if KT left at the end of this season. If you're an OHL club looking for a young coach, wouldn't you want to wait to see what he can do with the Nats next year and see if he really has the "right stuff"? He's a guy IMO who potentially could have 2 Suthies on his resume at the end of next season. Add to that his Mem Cup ring/experience he picked up as a player under Dale Hunter: in a word, impressive. I say give KT one more season in the GO and then he'll have the best credentials to make an impact in the O.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

In my opinion Piroski and Thomson are the 2 top coaches in this league. They have both proven themselves over the last few seasons which makes this series a great one. 2 good teams and 2 good organizations.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

No argument here. Leamington clearly has an excellent team. Tonight is another hugely important game. Nats will have to play 60 minutes and 200-ft hockey to stand a chance. Goes without saying that Tugwell needs to continue to be the outstanding "human" that he's been so far. I'll be very interested to see if Wheaton starts for Flyers and how big a difference Amante's return will make. The winner of this series will win the division. Gotta love the play-offs.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

would be very surprised if Wheaton didn't start. I think Wheaty will get the road games.