GOJHL Showcase

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Caledonia Fan

GOJHL Showcase

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Now that the GOJHL is one big happy family again .I would like to know if there has been any thought on another Showcase a year.
St Catharines has done it the last 4 years and they have done a great job.
I would to like to see a Western or Mid-Western team also host a showcase. Have two a year.
Keep the one in October the beginning of the season Thanksgiving weekend and maybe another one later in the season maybe on the Family Day weekend
in February.
It would be a lot of work, but it would be good for the fans and scouts etc.
I would love to go to two Showcases a year.
Three would be even better.One from each Conference.
Any thoughts out there on this subject.
Port hockey1

Re: GOJHL Showcase

Post by Port hockey1 »

They should use more arena's if they're going to do it in the Shoe every year. Why not play so many in St.Kitts, so many in Niagara Falls, and a few in Welland.

Maybe have the final game in Caledonia. All of these places are within minutes of each other.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Could also rotate conferences so everyone has a chance to see it.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I was told that the reason it's always in St. Catharines, and hosted by the Falcons, is because no other team will step up and do it.

With that said, I've heard it's moving next year. I heard that it's moving to a different weekend and to the West.

Your idea of having it at 4 different arenas will never work. The whole idea of the Showcase is for scouts to be able to see all the players they want to see. If you have it spread out in 4 different locations, the scouts will never see everybody. It was bad enough the 1 year when the Rockets played on Fri. in Port Colborne and everybody else was Sat. in St. Catharines.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Good point about the Scouts RG, never thought of that.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

You need at least 3 rinks. Places where I think could hold it is:

Midwest:
Kitchener Aud (3 Rinks)
Wayne Gretzy Centre, Brantford (4 Rinks)
Rim Park, Waterloo (3 Rinks)

West:
Western Fair Grounds, London (4 Rinks)

I'm unsure about Lasalle or Sarina because I never been to games there
Blades

Post by Blades »

jfvoll wrote:You need at least 3 rinks. Places where I think could hold it is:

Midwest:
Kitchener Aud (3 Rinks)
Wayne Gretzy Centre, Brantford (4 Rinks)
Rim Park, Waterloo (3 Rinks)

West:
Western Fair Grounds, London (4 Rinks)

I'm unsure about Lasalle or Sarina because I never been to games there
Sarnia has two rinks with 2 pads (RBC & Clearwater), single pads at Sarnia Arena & Germain (which is one rink they are looking at closing). There is also an ice pad in Point Edward but unsure how much ice time they might have available. I *think* those are all the ones within a few minutes drive from each other. There's also a rink in Petrolia (20 min drive) where the Jets (now Predators) used to play and a rink in Forest (about 25 min drive) where the Preds currently play.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
ref

Post by ref »

Port hockey1 wrote:Good point about the Scouts RG, never thought of that.
A lot of the scouts come up from the USA from University's and College's and St. Kitts is close to the border. The showcase is for designed for the scouts where they will be able to see all the teams play in one spot. The 4 Pad is actually the best spot for the tournament.