Nationals stun Maroons in opener

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

Nationals stun Maroons in opener

Post by flyers2011 »

was very surprised to see this score, looks like not a lot of penalties so couldn't of been the refs, just curious what kind of game it was.
End of a era in Leamington
Qwerty

Re: Nationals stun Maroons in opener

Post by Qwerty »

Nats out-skated and out-scored Maroons. Great defensive effort that frustrated Chatham players and fans alike. Tugwell was rock solid. Thompson has the boys believing. Will be interesting to see if they can carry the momentum on to the big ice at western fair.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

IF London could go up 2-0, look out.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Oh, and btw... the refs were crap. A couple of very questionable calls against London, while lots of looks the other way when Maroons were mauling the Nats.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I wasn't at the game, just listened to it on Chatham radio. They kept mentioning that for some reason the Maroons came out flat. The first period had a ton of whistles and they said London did an effective job of slowing down the tempo of the game and disrupting the flow. The Nats would use 1 forechecker and 3 players would line up on the red line. The Maroons were without Morgan, Stapleton and Tetrault which they said seemed to bother them, as well they only dressed just 18 players. It was also mentioned several times that Patterson let in 3 bad goals, the first two they called "harmless" shots and the 3rd was chipped in from a bad angle. They said he also made his share of great saves but would of likely wanted at least 2 of those shots back again.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Not a bad summary. One thing is for sure: there are suddenly a lot of cracks appearing in what appeared to be a solid line-up in Chatham. But credit is due to the young Nats who simply out-worked a veteran team.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Qwerty wrote:Oh, and btw... the refs were crap. A couple of very questionable calls against London, while lots of looks the other way when Maroons were mauling the Nats.
Comon really the nats got plenty of looks the other way as well. Not saying they didnt work hard for that win but dont act like the refs were bad on just one side
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Being down a key forward & defencemen was a big blow. Not an excuse for coming out flat though. Wasn't happy about playing London, rather have St.Thomas. London has a solid history of playing great playoff hockey.

Thought Bessette had earned the first start of the playoffs...A little frustrating.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Not trying to knock the maroons or anyone but just wondering if the in experience of Tyler Roeszler will play a factor or not in the playoffs, cause playoffs are a totally different game.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The coach plays a huge role on any team. As much as some might not think its a factor, it is. But the vets know how to win. If they buy in and play whistle to whistle they should be fine.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Where's Morgan? His imposing presence was missed last night by the Maroons. That said, for a team with this much depth and fire-power, one or two guys out shouldn't make that much difference. London, too, is missing the closest thing they have to a power F with Goodman out.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

according to a couple reliable sources, Morgan got frost bite on his feet and is possibly losing some toes, that's what the rumor is.
Pucknutty

Post by Pucknutty »

London deserved that first win for sure. Chatham came out completely flat footed!But seriously I think the discussion should be about how many time Tugwell is going to be allowed to knock the net off to stop the scoring chance. I was at the game sitting directly behind the goal. It happen twice in the first period. Once in the second and once in the third. Then tonight the go ahead momentue, changing goal gets waived off because again he knocks it off. Shady if you ask me. If you believe your team has it why knock the net off.
Maroons LOUD AND PROUD!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Same thing went on with another team last season in the playoffs...Also against Chatham. Anyone else think Bessette has been shafted?
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

The discussion should be about why Tugwell is outplaying Patterson. Both teams took 33 shots tonight. London hit the twine five times. Chatham did it four. If my math is correct, that puts the Nats up 2 games to nada. Goaltending wins close series. This is a close series. If I was the coach for Maroons, I'd be thinking its time to go with Bessette.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Qwerty wrote:The discussion should be about why Tugwell is outplaying Patterson. Both teams took 33 shots tonight. London hit the twine five times. Chatham did it four. If my math is correct, that puts the Nats up 2 games to nada. Goaltending wins close series. This is a close series. If I was the coach for Maroons, I'd be thinking its time to go with Bessette.
Yet again we have a dis agreement and the game i watched tonight chatham should have won 2 goals were clearly in and then waved off because tug knows if he kicks the net off he will get benefit of the doubt even a few london fans said tonight that chatham got screwed tonight. Vink and mellor were the difference maker tonight plain and simple.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Qwerty wrote:The discussion should be about why Tugwell is outplaying Patterson. Both teams took 33 shots tonight. London hit the twine five times. Chatham did it four. If my math is correct, that puts the Nats up 2 games to nada. Goaltending wins close series. This is a close series. If I was the coach for Maroons, I'd be thinking its time to go with Bessette.
Yet again we have a dis agreement and the game i watched tonight chatham should have won 2 goals were clearly in and then waved off because tug knows if he kicks the net off he will get benefit of the doubt even a few london fans said tonight that chatham got screwed tonight. Vink and mellor were the difference maker tonight plain and simple.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Chatham Jr Maroons

1 hr ·

It's time for the Maroons to do some serious soul searching!
They have let London get under their skin and into their heads.
London out skated and out hustled the Maroons tonight .
When your best players are your Jr C call ups , some thing is definitely wrong .
You can't blame the goal tending on tonight's loss.
Say what you will about the refs , the fact is Chatham needs to get it together quickly.
Time to get back to playing Maroon hockey and not let London dictate the play!
We are the BETTER club, let's come out flying Sunday night!!
GO MAROONS GO!!!
From the chatham facebook page, nothing about chatham getting screwed or anything like that, sounds like you lost fair and square. Stop whining like always and go cheer for your team Sunday in Chatham, there in a tough series.
shady

Post by shady »

Flyers2011 , Obviously being a Chatham Maroons FB Page they are not going to comment about Refs and Tugwell kicking net off . I am not taking anything away from London because obviously they have elevated their game like you are supposed to do in the playoffs. But I was at both games and yes Mr. Tugwell kicks the net off all the time and gets away with it . Game 1 loss I accept , But game 2 when you outscore your opponent and lose because of cheating , I don't accept . If this was happening to your team I am sure you would feel the same way ! Just want to win or lose fair and square !
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

What will you guys whine about when the Nats win a third game? Blaming the refs for a loss is a lame excuse, and REAL hockey people know it. The Flyers offence played well last night, getting four goals (season average), three of which came from their top line. Problem is, the Nats scored five times. If I need to point out the real problem for you, I will: maybe you should focus on your back-end instead of crying about the refs. Put Bessette in the net. Tighten up your d-zone coverage. Play the man in your own end. Try back-checking. Don't drop short-handed goals. Oh, and flyers2011 is right about the Maroons having let the Nats get in their head. You can see it on the ice... the boys are talking, laughing,and they've got swagger. Why? Three things. 1) No pressure; they're the under-dogs and they're "not supposed to win. 2) But they ARE winning. 3) Thompson has his boys believing and he's out-coaching Roeszler.
Wardsville

Post by Wardsville »

You wanna see a goalie that kicks the net off whenever he's in danger...check out Polasek from St. Thomas. Any time a dangerous play comes near the guy the net comes off...especially in St. Thomas
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Battisti does the same thing. I'm pretty sure Ouellet does too. In fact, all goalies do it. Until the league mandates some peg changes, the goalie is going to get the benefit of the doubt every time.

I haven't seen a game yet, but I knew that Roeszler's inexperience coaching in the play-offs was going to hurt them, I just didn't think it'd be against London. I know that it's only been 2 games, and it's a 7 game series for a reason, but I think I underestimated the Nationals, as did others who told me Chatham would sweep them.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

So far it looks like I was wrong in predicting Chatham to take this series in 4 or 5. However, as much as I would love to see the underdog London win, I still believe Chatham has the better team and will prevail in 6 or 7.

But please, don't go down the poor officiating road, as Qwerty says above, "Blaming the refs for a loss is a lame excuse, and REAL hockey people know it".

Also, don't even start on the goalie kicking the net off excuse, that is just ridiculous. As a guy who played goal at a high level in the distant past, and who continues to play in the beer leagues, I can assure you that EVERY goalie will knock the net off when given a chance. Why not? They know when they do it that they are taking a risk of getting a penalty but apparently the London goalie hasn't gone over the line yet.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

All the goalies do kick the net off, that is true. The refs need to start calling it though. We cant put better pegs on the nets because when guys go crashing into them, we will see serious injuries. I think the refs have been around long enough to make the right call.

As for Chatham...The owner is forcing the coach to start Patterson, Bessette has earned these starts. You know, I like Chatham, I really do...But the organization has turned into a damn soap opera! It's beyond pathetic!
shady

Post by shady »

Only one word for tonight's loss " Discipline " you don't take a 4 mins penalty with less than 6 Mins to go down by 1 goal
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I believe something is up with the London goalie. I've seen goalies do the same in the NHL.(Quick, LA) What caught my eye was something Chatham shared on facebook. A relative of a forward said something along the lines of...
"She doesn't really follow hockey, but heard the playoffs are really good. So she took in a game. She is involved with a dirt track of some sorts and said she knows how hard the jobs of the officials are. She also said how proud she was of the London coach...What a thing to teach your young players & goalie...What a thing to teach young fans that look up to these players as an idol of sorts. That when you don't think you can win fairly, you just need to kick the net off every time there's a scoring chance.

What sportsmanship."
Again, something with the wording a little different(same message) shared by the Chatham Maroons facebook page.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Port hockey1 wrote:The owner is forcing the coach to start Patterson, Bessette has earned these starts. You know, I like Chatham, I really do...But the organization has turned into a damn soap opera! It's beyond pathetic!

That makes sense. A friend and I moseyed on down to London on Saturday night to catch game 2 and I could not believe how terrible Patterson was! Szekesy was out for the entire 3rd period it seemed and it looked like he couldn't skate! Watching Chatham's coach was like watching a cardboard cutout. Chatham gets an ineligible player penalty when their player's helmet was knocked off by a London player, and when the Chatham player was skating to the bench he gets hooked by the same London player and gets ineligible player penalty, their coach just stood there.

For someone from the Midwestern Conference, I was disappointed how Chatham played and the hype that surrounded them.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I noticed last night that there were a few Maroons that were trying to do it all themselves. It's like the team is working as individuals, and not as a team, and that's part of their problem.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

RG makes a good point. That's often what happens when a team starts to implode and lose confidence in itself, especially when it has many skilled players who **think** they can do it all by themselves -- but can't. Proof is in the pudding when you consider the fact that, Chatham's lone goal came from an unassisted solo effort by Fratarcangelli. One general observation I will make about the comments posted on this forum about this particular series... not nearly enough credit being given to the Nats who are simply out-playing the highly touted (over-rated?) Maroons. Blame the refs, blame the owners, blame the goalie, blame the goal posts, blame the coach... what a gong show. How about this, sports fans... the better team is winning.
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

London, without a doubt, has had the better coaching, discipline, effort and execution so far in the series. London is showing a lot more desire and effort than all but the call-ups and one or two regulars for the Chatham squad.
Goaltending, I'm not sure about since the net has been knocked off 13 times in 3 games by Tugwell during high scoring chances... with 3 or 4 goals waived off for Chatham. It's interesting to note that it didn't come off the moorings in either game 2 or game 3 AFTER he had been warned by officials.

Patterson hasn't been the difference maker for Chatham, maybe Bessette deserves a chance.

Chatham may have the better team on paper but they aren't anything like a team on or off the ice. If they can't figure it out by Wednesday and start playing like a team, their season will end prematurely.