Golden Horseshoe Leaving?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Golden Horseshoe Leaving?

Post by RocketGirl »

Read an article today in the Stratford Beacon Herald that the Shoe wants to leave the GOJHL and become an independent league again, but they'd still compete for the Sutherland Cup.

http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2014 ... rom-gojhl/
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Oglethorp

Re: Golden Horseshoe Leaving?

Post by Oglethorp »

I have to agree with the Shoe on this one. We don't need to become another pay to play league. Why would the commissioners salary fall onto the players? increase the ticket prices by .50 if you need to and its covered with a surplus.

Get rid of the import status and everyone is playing by the same rules.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

How does the Golden Horseshoe think they can leave the GOJHL and still compete for the Sutherland Cup? At one point it was the Ontario Junior B championship trophy, but now it's the championship trophy of the GOJHL.

"You can't have your cake and eat it too". From the article it seems they want to bail and dictate the terms, and the OHA appears to be on-side.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

It's still the Jr. B championship, it's just that they amalgamated the 3 Jr. B leagues into the GOJHL. That's how they can pull out and become the Golden Horseshoe League again and still compete for the Sutherland Cup because they'd still be classified as Jr. B.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

The beginning of the end for this league with a lot more change to come!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

More drama, going outlaw would be the best move as far as I'm concerned.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
richard

Post by richard »

I hate the term outlaw. These kids are not criminals. The word independent Jr A league is far more appropriate
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

richard wrote:I hate the term outlaw. These kids are not criminals. The word independent Jr A league is far more appropriate
Every time I use the word independent people say you mean outlaw. It's almost like people that disagree with going independent thinks using the term "outlaw" makes their argument sound good. lol

I just shrugged and started using the term too. But yes, independent sounds much better. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

If you want some legit information on this developing story and want some background, Dan Gibson, Rockets GM and member of the GOJHL Board, will be live on air during the 1st intermission of the Rockets/Vipers game tonight to talk about it.

You can catch it on 105.7 MyFM,
http://www.strathroytoday.ca
Queen of the GOJHL

GoWest

Post by GoWest »

RG, for those of us who might have missed the radio interview, can you give us a summary?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Personally, I didn't really get a lot out of it other than that there is absolutely nothing that would hold back the Shoe from breaking away. Gibby said that he's looked at our Constitution, the OHA Constitution, and Hockey Canada's Constitution, and there's nothing that would prevent it from happening.

If this happens, then we might as well become 3 separate leagues again, that's my opinion. They brought us together in 2007. In 2008 they came up with having interlock games, it was 6 games each, you played 3 from each Conference. The Showcase was a 2 day event, and you played a team from each Conference. Then a couple years later, some teams complained about the travel costs, and how much extra it cost to go to these interlock games, so they cut it back to 4 games. Then it was 3, the Showcase and 2 others. Now it's just the Showcase.

I enjoy the interlock games. As a fan, you get to travel to the other arenas, not just seeing the same 9, you get to meet people from the other teams, and from a team perspective, you get to see how the other teams operate. For my Dad and my brother, they get to see how the other teams deal with their equipment and any cool toys they have.

We'll definitely have to see how this plays out.

I believe that David Honsberger video taped the interview last night and will be posting it on the blog and on the Rockets Facebook page.
Queen of the GOJHL

GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Thanks. It seems like a step backward rather than forward.

The cynic in me can't help but thinking that the Shoe has done a deal with the OHA to stay at Jr. B in exchange for concessions on imports and ??? I believe they were moderates on the Jr. A issue. And we know the OHA isn't above back room dealing, remember the deal with the OJHL?

Interesting take on the situation from the Junior Hockey News, who claim the Transition Team is still looking at options.

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=32470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Here is the video link from the GOJHL blog regarding the split:

http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2014 ... hoe-split/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

I know this idea is likely not going anywhere but I think it's time they set a "minimum" organization operations budget and if you want to be a Jr A team then you have to be committed to spending so much money to run the teams and the league the way it should be. I think this would obviously eliminate a lot of the smaller markets (who don't want to be Jr A in the first place) and could then lead to a "super" league stretching across the province. All teams can have a choice and for those smaller markets or teams that don't want to or can't pay the Jr. A fees can stay Jr. B and continue on with their model ( or they could adjust theirs too). There are too many Jr. hockey teams and leagues and not enough talent to go around. From Jr. A to Jr. B to Jr.C and Major Midget AAA there needs to be a total overhaul of the system and the way players move through it.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2014 ... -ghc-back/

Article this morning from Steve Rice of the Stratford Beacon Herald on the Shoe leaving.
Queen of the GOJHL

joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Hard to believe the league doesn't need someone in charge to act as a commissionaire? I'd have to say I disagree with that statement and that overall same sentiment. In my opinion that is why the three Jr. B leagues have sunk to the situation they're in now anyways they have no real leadership form the top or anyone with a strong voice to show guidance. How about you hire someone who actually wants to make things better and advance the league and grow it. Seems like teams are just happy with the status quo and really don't care about bettering the league or improving the opportunities for players, coaches and game officials.
richard

Post by richard »

The OHA is suppose to fill in the missing blanks as far as leadership goes. Are they just a logo?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I can't agree more joehockey. Mark Ellis was our commissioner and was part of the driving force to bring us together as 1 league. When Brent Ladds retired, Mark moved up in the OHA and it left the commissioner spot open. So that's been about 2 seasons now, and the management of the GOJHL has declined, in my opinion. It appears that the Conferences are operating as their own separate leagues again. The only joint thing we do now is the Showcase.

I told someone the other day that the more I think about it, the more I kind of like that the Shoe could be leaving. My understanding is that they're the ones that do the most complaining when it comes to the interlock games and the travel and costs associated with them. That's a big reason why the interlock games have become no more. Perhaps with the Shoe gone, we could have more interlock again with the Mid-West. We could move to a 51 game schedule, play our own Conference teams 6 times and then 3 interlock with the Mid-West and after 3 years, you'd have played everyone. The other option would be to leave us at a 49 game schedule, play our own Conference teams 5 times and then 1 game with each of the Mid-West teams. That would be awesome, but I can't see that ever happening.

I don't agree with the way that the new commissioner was hired, and I'm not a fan of this Transition Team business, but I feel like the Shoe is just throwing a temper tantrum and is like, we're not getting our way so we're leaving! You know what, you're grown men, act like it. Try to work things out with the GOJHL as a whole and come up with ideas to make it a better league, otherwise the GOJHL should just dissolve, as that's where it's heading, and we go back to being 3 separate leagues again, operating separately, and only co-mingling when it comes to the Sutherland Cup.
Queen of the GOJHL

zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

RocketGirl wrote:
the GOJHL should just dissolve, as that's where it's heading, and we go back to being 3 separate leagues again, operating separately, and only co-mingling when it comes to the Sutherland Cup.
That's exactly what should happen. It's never been one league anyway, despite what some people wanted others to think. The GOJHL is nothing but a glorified name, that's all.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

This all comes full circle. The whole reason for the GOJHL name in the first place is because "prospects" viewed the Jr.B moniker as inferior hockey compared to Tier 2 jr. A leagues and wanted to play in them instead. This lead to the poaching of players by the OPJHL and all other tier 2 teams with what owners likely thought was unfair compensation. The thought process was likely that if all three leagues came together it would fight back against the OPJHL. IMO the GOJHL is still viewed as inferior and this is still the driving force behind wanting to be classied as Tier 2. If the GOJHL is classified as Tier 2 then teams in the league will be able to get a lot more money for players when they still decide to leave and play elsewhere. In the end as is almost always the case, it's all about the money.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

The Junior Hockey News weighs in again.

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=33737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I see that the All-Star game and Prospects game are the Mid-West vs. the West. I was tipped to this because I saw someone from Caledonia complaining on Twitter about how their kids are working just as hard as ours and it's not fair that they're not part of these games. Well, you want to separate from the GOJHL, so why would you be able to participate in the league events? Yes, you're still part of it for this season, as far as I know, but my guess is that the league is showing them what they're going to miss out on if they're not part of the league. They'll have to have their own All-Star and Prospects games.

*Edit: I just read the Junior Hockey News article. So the separation is basically complete, so again, if they're not part of the GOJHL, why would they expect to participate in the league events, such as the All-Star and Prospects games.*
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:I see that the All-Star game and Prospects game are the Mid-West vs. the West. I was tipped to this because I saw someone from Caledonia complaining on Twitter about how their kids are working just as hard as ours and it's not fair that they're not part of these games. Well, you want to separate from the GOJHL, so why would you be able to participate in the league events? Yes, you're still part of it for this season, as far as I know, but my guess is that the league is showing them what they're going to miss out on if they're not part of the league. They'll have to have their own All-Star and Prospects games.

*Edit: I just read the Junior Hockey News article. So the separation is basically complete, so again, if they're not part of the GOJHL, why would they expect to participate in the league events, such as the All-Star and Prospects games.*
Why do you say it like every person involved with the Shoe wanted this?

It's like you're enjoying this.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Based on what I've read, all 8 teams in the Shoe voted for this, therefore they all wanted it.

Why do you think I'm enjoying this? I'm sad to see the Shoe go. In 2007, they brought all 3 leagues together as 1. They brought in interlock games, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I enjoy myself at the Showcase. I like meeting people from all the other teams and seeing the different arenas. And now we're losing 8 teams, an entire Conference, although it doesn't seem like it, since you're still participating for the Sutherland Cup.

But my point is, if you're no longer part of the GOJHL, why would you participate in the GOJHL All-Star Game and Prospects Game?
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

A fair question, but why still be competing for the same championship? Just wondering why we'd be playing for the suthie but excluded from the All-Star festivities.

In years past the Shoe has played the West in the All-Star game, back before we became one league.
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

Port hockey1 wrote:A fair question, but why still be competing for the same championship? Just wondering why we'd be playing for the suthie but excluded from the All-Star festivities.

In years past the Shoe has played the West in the All-Star game, back before we became one league.
They compete for the Sutherland Cup still because its an OHA Jr B Championship and they're still a Junior B league under OHA. The Sutherland Cup has nothing to do with the GOJHL except it's a Jr B league.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Does anyone know the current status here?
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

The latest press release from the OHA re: the prospect/all star game is calling the GOJHL an 18 team league consisting of the western and mid-western conferences. Guess this is now a done deal???

http://oha.pointstreaksites.com/view/oh ... ews_244578" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I've been trying to find official word on it for weeks now, checking both the GOJHL and OHA sites for a media release and haven't seen a thing.
Queen of the GOJHL

Blades

Post by Blades »

Here's a question to ponder. If the GHC is leaving the GOJHL, will the continue to be listed as part of such on PointStreak this season with the understanding that they won't be next season? Or do they simply move the GH to their "own" league from the perspective of Pointstreak.

Just curious ... as always.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic