Records

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

shady

Records

Post by shady »

For all you Stats people out there , what is the record for games undefeated to start a season ? Just curious as Sarnia is doing awesome and just wondering if they are close.
Blades

Re: Records

Post by Blades »

Likely Scott Holland of Leamington would know such as thing. If he's not the official statistician for our conference or league, he's likely the unofficial one and would know about such. Not sure if he reads here, but maybe RG can ask him?
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

He does read it and I see he's emailed me a response, but I'm still at the Showcase, so I haven't actually read it. When I get back to the hotel, I'll read it and post it for you.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Scott sent the answers to me as well. Since I'm back from St. Kitts, here is what Scott has to say:

Here are the answer(s):

The longest modern (proven) record is that of the Western Jr. B Chatham Maroons (1999/2000) who went 25 consecutive games without a defeat from Sept. 10, 1999 to Nov. 19, 1999.

The Caledonia Corvairs had the chance to tie it in 2013/14 and went 24 games from Sept. 6 to Nov. 26, 2013 and that stands as the current, modern GOJHL record.

As for the Sarnia Legionnaires, they have a little way to go to even tie their own team record which is 16 - they actually went undefeated that season (the entire season) 1950/51 and to hit even 20 or 25 will take one Herculean effort.

So as it stands the Legionnaires have quite a way to go before claiming any records.
shady

Post by shady »

Thanks for the quick responses ! Sarnia seems to be blowin most teams away ! So I really could see them coming close to this or passing it ! But as we all know anything can happen . A few injuries to some key players and even some bad luck and streak can end . Thanks again !
Blades

Post by Blades »

I was re-reading this topic and wondering why I thought the number for Sarnia to win was 13 in order to tie a record. Well now I know why.

There was an article in the Sarnia Observer that I had read http://www.theobserver.ca/2014/10/14/sa ... -years-ago and according to Wayne Jenner the number 13 refers to matching the modern franchise record for consecutive wins which was set in the early part of the 1989-90 season. Now I don't know where the "modern" era begins and the "other" ends but at least now I know why I've felt confused.

It would seem that perhaps our statisticians are looking at things a bit differently?
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Ask and you shall receive. Email response to me from Scott Holland.

Modern era for all GOJHL teams is technically 1978/79, when the OHA divided Jr. B leagues into several geographical areas which evolved into the 3 conferences we know today.

Prior to 1991, there was also the Metro Jr. B league which became the Jr. A league (OJHL) .

The GOJHL was created in 2007/08, but all three conferences did not play under that moniker until 2008/09.

So, when dealing with records some are very hard to discover since game summaries from many years have been lost or are unavailable.

For some teams there is little data which can be collected.

Sarnia did go an entire season in 1950/51 undefeated (16-0) so that is their high mark from the start of a season. Tracking overall undefeated streaks has been difficult and most teams have had at least a good 10+ game run somewhere in their history.

The problem with streaks in the pre-1998 days was the fact that ties were used. Thus often the word "undefeated" is more appropriate. The other problem is that the Western Jr. has had detailed records kept now for well over a decade. The GHC and Mid-West have nary a record to be found. Regardless, Sarnia's current streak is reflective of a talented team and will be a measuring stick for many years to come.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

yes sarnia is off to a great start, but doesn't matter how you start, its how you finish, the Lasalle Vipers started last season 14-0-1 if everyone remembers correctly, and then got swept in round 2 and didn't even finish first place. still lots of hockey to be played.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:yes sarnia is off to a great start, but doesn't matter how you start, its how you finish, the Lasalle Vipers started last season 14-0-1 if everyone remembers correctly, and then got swept in round 2 and didn't even finish first place. still lots of hockey to be played.
True, but this Sarnia team is a lot older and a little more talented. All they need is another goalie, not confident Johnson can get things done in the playoffs.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
shady

Post by shady »

Flyers2011 you are a real negative Nancy ! Topic was just out of curiosity of records ! No one said Sarnia was going to win it all , or win anything . Why you so negative all the time ?
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

as I said that start for Sarnia did not really mean a thing as they have now lost 5 out of 6 I believe. Very beatable just like everyone else on any given night.
End of a era in Leamington
shady

Post by shady »

flyers2011 do you even read other post ? I didn't say anywhere in here that Sarnia was never going to lose a game or games ! I am not even a Sarnia fan . Sarnia was the only team left undefeated from start of season so it made me curious about records . The original post was to find out about records ! I could care less how Sarnia does period.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Was just told that Ryan Trottier has set a new Sarnia team record for fastest hattrick at 5:53.

The GOJHL record is 2:09 set by Luke VanMoerkerke of Brantford Golden Eagles on Dec. 14, 2008.
Queen of the GOJHL