Flyers vs Maroons Protest

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

Flyers vs Maroons Protest

Post by flyers2011 »

heard a few days back last Sunday's Chatham vs Leamington has been protested by the Flyers as the Maroons played with a suspended player - Bowen. If this is true hopefully a decision is made soon.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Re: Flyers vs Maroons Protest

Post by Port hockey1 »

Edit: It appears he may not have been suspended. I know in the past an automatic suspension has been missed by the league somehow. So if the league didn't notice that a suspension should've been issued, they can't penalize a team for playing a kid that was never listed as suspended.

This should be interesting.
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
peterpuck

Post by peterpuck »

:?: but according to points streak, there never was a listing for him being suspended unless they don't list every suspension or trade. so maybe he was not suspended
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

peterpuck wrote::?: but according to points streak, there never was a listing for him being suspended unless they don't list every suspension or trade. so maybe he was not suspended
if he was suspended it should have been listed, i really dont think that chatham would play a player that they knew was suspended.
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

brad 36 wrote:
peterpuck wrote::?: but according to points streak, there never was a listing for him being suspended unless they don't list every suspension or trade. so maybe he was not suspended
if he was suspended it should have been listed, i really dont think that chatham would play a player that they knew was suspended.
I really hope not. I realize mistakes are made, but after last season It would be unacceptable.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

This is in the Chatham Daily News today.

The Maroons already have seven defencemen, but only six were available Sunday. John Bowen served a one-game suspension for picking up a pair of 10-minute misconducts in the final 10 minutes of the Sept. 12 season opener in St. Thomas.

Bowen played in the win over the Flyers, so the Flyers have protested that game. The Maroons will talk this week with the Ontario Hockey Association.

If Bowen wasn't suspended in the first place, than why would they sit him for a one-game suspension? Just sayin'.

And just so everyone knows, it's not the OHA's responsibility to update the Transactions page, it's each team's responsibility, and not every team does. It's also each team's responsibility to have their people serve their suspensions, and if they don't, it's the other team's responsibility to catch it. My understanding though, is that the OHA reviews the game sheets and if you're caught dressing a player illegally, such as Bowen last Sun., they fine you at the end of the season.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ah-chielove

Post by ah-chielove »

SECTION J
DISCIPLINE

J3
It is the responsibility of each team to monitor its own suspensions and to sit out any player
as required by the O.H.A.’s suspension policies.
J4
The penalty for playing a player who is under suspension is as
follows:

(a)The player’s suspension, or remaining part of his suspension, may be
increased to a maximum of twice the number of games, or remaining number of games.

(b)All points for the game will be awarded to the non offending team.

(c)In the event that both teams are guilty of playing ineligible players, no points will be
awarded to either team.

(d)The offending team(s) will be subject to a fine of $100.00 for each infraction.

(e)The team officials entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring the eligibility of players will
be subject to suspension.

In the event that no official protest is filed under Regulation P, the O.H.A. may deal with items (a), (d) and (e).
When an official protest is filed under Regulation P, the O.H.A. will consider action under items
(a) to (e) inclusive.

A protest must be filed within 48 hours of the starting time posted for the game, Saturdays, and
Sundays and holidays included, by email or fax to the O.H.A. office.
In the event no protest is filed within 48 hours, the O.H.A. may deal with items (a)(d) and (e)
Doesn't this clearly say that the game should be awarded to the non-offending team (in this case Leamington)?

Or am I reading the OHA rules and regulations book wrong?

- Ah-chie
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Tsk!Tsk!Tsk! Chatham caught cheating again. Will, from here on in, be known as the Chatham Cheats.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

I'm surprise there hasn't been any fire Davis comments yet :lol:
slap-shot

Post by slap-shot »

Too early in the season for that, he's the reason we talk about Chatham in the first place but you have to wonder how many times can you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar. He is smart man he certainly knows better.
Drop the puck, the playoffs are here
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

joehockey wrote:I'm surprise there hasn't been any fire Davis comments yet :lol:
I actually made the comment lately that Szekesy should really re-evaluate his relationship with Davis because it's costing him a lot of money in fines. Which then the response was, as long as they win a championship, it doesn't matter.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
shady

Post by shady »

I really Can't see how this was done purposely knowing every Chatham game would be under a microscope this year after last year. And if using Bowen is our big cheating move we are in trouble , all he managed to do in game against Leamington was receive a penalty . And we had no problem handling Strathroy without Bowen. And obviously if Chatham found out after the fact , Bowen still has to serve his suspension regardless , so why not serve it immediately.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

This is ridiculous, way to go Maroons, yet another reason for people to monitor every move made by the team. :oops:
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

one main problem in Chatham is Mark Davis, he was the one at fault last season for what happened everyone knows it and now this, If Chatham had a good head coach look out. He will play one line again in the playoffs and most likely same thing will happen.
End of a era in Leamington
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2014 ... s-protest/

OHA Upholds Game Protest Submitted by Leamington Flyers of the GOJHL

http://www.oha.pointstreaksites.com/vie ... ews_176278

CAMBRIDGE, ON – The Ontario Hockey Association (OHA) upheld a game protest submitted by the Leamington Flyers. The game in question was the September 14, 2014 game in the Western Conference of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League (GOJHL) (game #25) where Leamington lost 3-1 to the Chatham Maroons.
The protest was initiated by Leamington due to the use of player John Bowen in the above game by the Chatham Maroons. The protest outlined that Bowen should have been suspended due to the game misconduct penalty assessed in the last 10 minutes of the Maroons game on September 12th versus St. Thomas.

The decision made by the OHA, following a hearing involving all parties, is as follows:

1. Leamington’s protest is upheld.
2. Points are awarded to Leamington for the September 14th game as a result of the protest being upheld.
3. Chatham fined $100.
4. Player’s suspension (John Bowen) doubled to two games.
5. Chatham head coach and GM Mark Davis suspended one game.

The decision of the OHA Protest Committee is final.

For any further information, please contact OHA CEO Scott Farley sfarley@ohahockey.org .
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

They need to show Davis the door. This is unforgivable. No reason to be pulling that kind of a stunt less than a year after the team was hit hard after losing two protests. Not to mention the sanctions.

Win at all costs, risking a forfeit not included. Davis has been around long enough, no excuse for that kind of 'mistake'.

Frustrated at the moment.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Interesting article and responses from Davis about the situation. I just wonder how no other person associated with Chatham realized this mistake was being made or said anything? Then again maybe someone did and still nothing was done about it? It would seem no one else in the organization is aware of the league rules? Where is the owner in all of us? Asleep at the wheel? Very sloppy management on the Maroons entire organization not just the coach/GM.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2014/09/ ... ayer-again" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GOJHL_Fan

Post by GOJHL_Fan »

Port hockey1 wrote:They need to show Davis the door. This is unforgivable. No reason to be pulling that kind of a stunt less than a year after the team was hit hard after losing two protests. Not to mention the sanctions.

Win at all costs, risking a forfeit not included. Davis has been around long enough, no excuse for that kind of 'mistake'.

Davis has been around long enough and his reputation follows him. He will leave on his own if he doesn't get his way, (buying players to compete for Championship). As long as Chatham ownership gives him an open wallet to do what ever it takes to win a championship he will remain.

Bowen's presence on the ice isn't about scoring goals or even as a stellar defender. Look at last season's playoff performance. How many major's did he get, and I think both were questionable attempt to injures. He is there for the intimidation factor.

Davis and the Chatham ownership will do whatever it takes to win this year. They don't care about anything or anybody else. A few fines, and suspensions won't stop them. The big question is what will Davis do next year when the owner's son graduates?
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Why should Bowen have to serve another game suspension? I'll never understand the OHA. Sure, suspend Davis, fine the team, and take away the victory. To double the suspension on Bowen just doesn't make any sense.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The decision to play Bowen was made by Davis. One has to wonder how many times he can get off with a slap on the wrist. Next time the suspension should be 10 games and a $2000 fine
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
shady

Post by shady »

How is it when something is done wrong and then the team is punished according to the rules, it is never good enough for you people ! Why don't we just throw Chatham out of the league ? Would that make you all happy ? They did something wrong and received the league punishment now move on !
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHL_Fan wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:They need to show Davis the door. This is unforgivable. No reason to be pulling that kind of a stunt less than a year after the team was hit hard after losing two protests. Not to mention the sanctions.

Davis has been around long enough and his reputation follows him. He will leave on his own if he doesn't get his way, (buying players to compete for Championship). As long as Chatham ownership gives him an open wallet to do what ever it takes to win a championship he will remain.

Bowen's presence on the ice isn't about scoring goals or even as a stellar defender. Look at last season's playoff performance. How many major's did he get, and I think both were questionable attempt to injures. He is there for the intimidation factor.

Davis and the Chatham ownership will do whatever it takes to win this year. They don't care about anything or anybody else. A few fines, and suspensions won't stop them. The big question is what will Davis do next year when the owner's son graduates?
I agree that Bowen is there mostly for intimidation. But a lot of teams look for kids that are big & physical. With him on the team opponents are less likely to take cheap shots at Maroon's players.

I've seen video of Bowen crossing the line a bit before, but I've also seen very questionable calls that looked to be clean hits.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

shady wrote:How is it when something is done wrong and then the team is punished according to the rules, it is never good enough for you people ! Why don't we just throw Chatham out of the league ? Would that make you all happy ? They did something wrong and received the league punishment now move on !
I'd normally agree, but twice now in less than a year. I love the Maroons, I'll always support them. But these kinds of things are embarrassing. I'm very frustrated with Mr.Davis right now.
shady

Post by shady »

I am not saying that this is not embarrassing , and yes it should of never happened , but they were given the punishment that goes with this crime , Why is their outcry for more severe punishment ? They got what was in the rules and what every other team would of gotten for the same offence.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

shady wrote:I am not saying that this is not embarrassing , and yes it should of never happened , but they were given the punishment that goes with this crime , Why is their outcry for more severe punishment ? They got what was in the rules and what every other team would of gotten for the same offence.
Agreed, the punishment should be the same as any other organization would get.