Schedule

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Schedule

Post by RocketGirl »

GOJHL has released the schedule for the 2023-24 season!

https://www.gojhl.ca/stats/schedule/all ... s?league=1
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ontariohockey

Re: Schedule

Post by ontariohockey »

Tim Simmons is still the commissioner? The GOJHL not being able to attract a better guy than that is not a good look.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

I'm not a Simmons fan either but don't blame him, blame
the dumbass owners and presidents that put him there.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

He is only the acting commissioner until they find someone else. As far as I have heard anyway.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Let's be honest, is there anyone they could hire who knows this league like Tim does? Or better than him? I don't know if any of you know who Tim's Dad is, but John knows the rule book inside out, forwards and backwards, upside down, every way possible and Tim probably does too.

I think the question would be, does Tim want this job full-time.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I'm with RG on this one. I have the utmost confidence that Tim will do a great job.
ontariohockey

Post by ontariohockey »

Simmons never played, never coached, never involved in anything higher than Jr B hockey, and don’t let his role of “Director of Hockey Operations” fool you, if was a ceremonial “gift” position, he never had any input on player cuts, signings or trades, he did administrative duties. He was not a popular or well-liked guy, the GOJHL can do better I would think.

Of course he’d take the position, it’s the highest paid job he’s ever had.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

The only thing keeping this league from moving forward is the league itself. Tim Simmons will continue to do just that!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

ontariohockey wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:17 pm Simmons never played, never coached, never involved in anything higher than Jr B hockey........
What does that have to do with anything? I've never played hockey, I don't even know how to skate. I've never coached, I've never scouted, I've never been more than a puck bunny according to some, doesn't mean I don't know the game. I have a grasp on some of the rules better than those with actual titles in the league.

Those things have nothing to with the qualifications to be able to run this league. Yes, I'll agree that Tim's not a popular person, but that doesn't take away from his ability to run the league.

Would you rather have a Commission who is buddy-buddy with everybody and can't make a decision because he doesn't want to ruffle any feathers, or somebody that is going to do what is necessary to move things along?
Queen of the GOJHL

BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Come on RG, take off those rose coloured glasses, I find most of your post interesting but your view on Simmons is way off. He hasn't advanced the league, he's giving it away. He doesn't make decisions, his new side kick does it for him now.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Tim Simmons is exactly what the board wants...did I say EXACTLY!! Someone who is unable/incapable of putting actions in play and will just tow the line.

I mean for christ sakes...do these idiots even realize what is going on around them?? Brantford...Leamington and now Niagara Falls. Oh wait..OF COURSE they do!! They had a hand in all of it!!

Best thing that could happen is these 10 or 12 or 14 or 16 teams get out and look beyond the current landscape. The grass isn't always greener...but it is when your are sinking in piles of bullshiite!!!!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Why is it when I have an opinion that differs from yours, I'm wearing rose coloured glasses? I defend the Rockets, 'RG take off your rose coloured glasses', I defended GOJHL Inc., 'RG take off your rose coloured glasses', now I'm defending Tim Simmons, 'RG take off your rose coloured glasses'. I want to see this league succeed, I always have, and I will defend it. Whoever is in charge, I will defend them.

With that said, I know that the Commissioner is merely a figure-head of the league, and that it's actually run by a group of GMs/owners, isn't it BTDT? If that group doesn't want something to happen, it doesn't. That is the problem, first and foremost, and it's been a problem for years.
Queen of the GOJHL

FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

You are right about the commissioner being a figurehead. Go back to Mark Tuck, the guy before him and everyone in between...this league is being held up by a BofG who have not a clue what they are doing. They have proven this time and time....and time again. They let Brantford into OJHL within their footprint. Same with Leamington and now Niagara Falls. They wanted the cash rather than a 4th division...they even f*cked that up when 5 teams were going to be handed to them. They are a clueless bunch with absolutely NO vision! All on Mark Tuck's watch and he gets a plum appointment with the OHA? You truly cannot make this up. It's like a Seinfeld episode except it isn't funny.

I will say it again...the only thing from keeping this league from progressing is themselves. You have 10-12-14-16 teams that want out....make the move. No one is putting a gun to your head to keep you part of this debacle! Get yourselves together and make a stand!! Being part of HC is not all it is cracked up to be....been saying that for almost 7 years here!! But it can't get any worse. Afterall the new HC President's background is in tennis or something like that! I mean, why wouldn't you stay?
ontariohockey

Post by ontariohockey »

RocketGirl wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:18 am
ontariohockey wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:17 pm Simmons never played, never coached, never involved in anything higher than Jr B hockey........
What does that have to do with anything? I've never played hockey, I don't even know how to skate. I've never coached, I've never scouted, I've never been more than a puck bunny according to some, doesn't mean I don't know the game. I have a grasp on some of the rules better than those with actual titles in the league.

Those things have nothing to with the qualifications to be able to run this league. Yes, I'll agree that Tim's not a popular person, but that doesn't take away from his ability to run the league.

Would you rather have a Commission who is buddy-buddy with everybody and can't make a decision because he doesn't want to ruffle any feathers, or somebody that is going to do what is necessary to move things along?
I guess you’re as qualified as he is to be commissioner…think about that.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

But if I was Commissioner, you'd be mad, posting that I can't run the league, how can a woman run a Jr hockey league, how I don't have the qualifications, and how nobody likes or respects me, so how do I expect to make a difference.....blah blah blah

It doesn't matter who's in charge, you guys won't be happy no matter what.
Queen of the GOJHL

FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Really?? You want to bring gender into this? C'mon RG..if there was a place we could stay away from the bs of inclusion blah blah blah I would hope it would be this place!!

You want to run the league have at it! I would do it for ZERO if for nothing to get in there and rattle some heads,,,and I have more experience than the last 3 guys combined. But it is difficult for me to put effort into something when the only thing that will happen will be a bunch of old fools who will just tear it all down! Guys like Mark Tuck, the BofG and the OHA are what is wrong with this game today.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You don't think that would come up? Doesn't matter, I don't want the job anyways. I don't need to deal with the old boys club who apparently don't like change and want things to be the way they have always been.
Queen of the GOJHL

FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

RocketGirl wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:54 am You don't think that would come up? Doesn't matter, I don't want the job anyways. I don't need to deal with the old boys club who apparently don't like change and want things to be the way they have always been.
That appears to be the epidemic in this country at present!
ontariohockey

Post by ontariohockey »

RocketGirl wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:26 pm But if I was Commissioner, you'd be mad, posting that I can't run the league, how can a woman run a Jr hockey league, how I don't have the qualifications, and how nobody likes or respects me, so how do I expect to make a difference.....blah blah blah

It doesn't matter who's in charge, you guys won't be happy no matter what.
Wow, how did the womens card get thrown it? I don’t think that’s a fair comment, no one mentioned a women can’t run the league…Karen Phibbs was respected when she was involved.

Tim Simmons may know the rules of the league but you need more than that, he has no leadership ability and isn’t well-liked.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

My almost 20 years of being on this forum and having to prove that I'm not just a puck bunny and I actually know what I'm talking about tells me that it's a real possibility that would come up.
Queen of the GOJHL

FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

RocketGirl wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:00 am My almost 20 years of being on this forum and having to prove that I'm not just a puck bunny and I actually know what I'm talking about tells me that it's a real possibility that would come up.
I mean no disrespect and please don't take this the wrong way but...

There is a huuuuge difference between conversations on this forum and what goes on in a boardroom. There is also a huge difference in the business of sport. The first thing an incoming Commish needs to do is get a handle on the different personalities in that boardroom. It is like coaching...all kids are different and they need to be coached "individually" so as to not alienate or affect their contributions. But the one big issue with this league is the fact that there are so many hands in the "cookie jar" that getting anything accomplished is net-zero!
ontariohockey

Post by ontariohockey »

St Andrews College 13 London Nationals 4.

Is this for real? Is the St Andrews team that strong? It was a home game for the Nationals and they got slaughtered, outshot 50-26, outscored by 9 goals.

What am I missing, how did that happen?
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

They have some players on that team....and they lost 4-5 kids to BC!
ontariohockey

Post by ontariohockey »

I think Tim Simmons is the only commissioner who hands out player of the month awards in any league…I’m sure the players are thrilled to get a gift certificate for a tuxedo shop, like what are they suppose to do with that, maybe wait outside the place and sell it to someone who might use it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=68 ... 2588327623
AllstarGuy89

Post by AllstarGuy89 »

There are worse gifts to give… every single player in this league wears suits to games. Seems like a gift card that can be put to use by any of them.
ontariohockey

Post by ontariohockey »

AllstarGuy89 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:48 am There are worse gifts to give… every single player in this league wears suits to games. Seems like a gift card that can be put to use by any of them.
How about a sporting goods store...a restaurant...a shoe store...I could probably come up with about 10-15-20 places they'd shop before Collins Clothiers.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Collins Clothiers sponsors the monthly awards, so what else do you expect them to give? For many years, Strathroy's Player of the Month award was sponsored by Poag's Jewellers and they received a very fancy watch. I'm sure they didn't need it, and could have used a gift card for London Source for Sports, but Poag's wasn't going to do that, and neither is Collins.
Queen of the GOJHL

ontariohockey

Post by ontariohockey »

RocketGirl wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:54 pm Collins Clothiers sponsors the monthly awards, so what else do you expect them to give? For many years, Strathroy's Player of the Month award was sponsored by Poag's Jewellers and they received a very fancy watch. I'm sure they didn't need it, and could have used a gift card for London Source for Sports, but Poag's wasn't going to do that, and neither is Collins.
A watch, a fancy watch as you say would be better...
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

How much do they pay this clown?
ontariohockey

Post by ontariohockey »

RocketGirl wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:54 pm Collins Clothiers sponsors the monthly awards, so what else do you expect them to give? For many years, Strathroy's Player of the Month award was sponsored by Poag's Jewellers and they received a very fancy watch. I'm sure they didn't need it, and could have used a gift card for London Source for Sports, but Poag's wasn't going to do that, and neither is Collins.
How much money is the Clothiers certificate?