Sutherland Cup

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Sutherland Cup

Post by RocketGirl »

The Sutherland Cup kicks off tonight! Here is the full Round Robin schedule. I might go to Hespeler tomorrow to cheer on Chatham, we'll see how my day goes. And yes, Cambridge is playing out of Hespeler Arena right now, the Galt had to be shut down for maintenance.
Attachments
279293520_577513926936384_2282395688703378709_n-1024x576 (1).jpg
279293520_577513926936384_2282395688703378709_n-1024x576 (1).jpg (87.35 KiB) Viewed 44441 times
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Re: Sutherland Cup

Post by Marcie »

It should be an eye opener for St. Catharines and Cambridge playing in Chatham Memorial. That is likely a completely different atmosphere than they have ever experienced before. We wish the Maroons well.
Cal 99ers

Post by Cal 99ers »

Story I got in Hamilton just before the pay offs started the Falcon's picked up a really good goalie from the Ice Dogs, this would have been a battle between Hamilton and Caledonia if the Falcons hadn't got their usual feed from the IceDogs
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Didn't St Catharines sweep Caledonia?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Caledonia would have been in the Round Robin if the GOJHL would have let
them use 17 twenty year olds again and 11 players from the OHL.

Yep, the Falcon sweep aside the SNORvairs 10 straight this year, not including
the forfeited game
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Cal 99ers wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:10 pm Story I got in Hamilton just before the pay offs started the Falcon's picked up a really good goalie from the Ice Dogs, this would have been a battle between Hamilton and Caledonia if the Falcons hadn't got their usual feed from the IceDogs
Just before the playoffs started? MacLean played all season long and won the league MVP trophy. As for Caledonia, they were crap this year. Fort Erie would have beat them if they played them in the playoffs and Hamilton would have swept them just like the Falcons did. Caledonia proved once again that they were nothing but bushleaguers!!!
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Marcie wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:31 pm It should be an eye opener for St. Catharines and Cambridge playing in Chatham Memorial. That is likely a completely different atmosphere than they have ever experienced before. We wish the Maroons well.
The Falcons loved the atmosphere in the Chatham arena. Thank you Chatham fans for motivating the Falcon players!!! The score would have been 6-2 if not for some incredible glove saves by DeKoning who unfortunately was injured and had to leave the game in the third period.
CC1

Post by CC1 »

zantimisfit wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:06 pm
Marcie wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:31 pm It should be an eye opener for St. Catharines and Cambridge playing in Chatham Memorial. That is likely a completely different atmosphere than they have ever experienced before. We wish the Maroons well.
The Falcons loved the atmosphere in the Chatham arena. Thank you Chatham fans for motivating the Falcon players!!! The score would have been 6-2 if not for some incredible glove saves by DeKoning who unfortunately was injured and had to leave the game in the third period.
Well said, zantimisfit. And Cal 99ers, maybe you should check your facts before you start spreading false info about the goalie being picked up just before playoffs. And as for the "usual feed from the Ice Dogs", maybe the Ice Dogs should have kept MacLean, they might have had a better than last place finish if they had. :roll:
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

zantimisfit wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:06 pm
maroons goalie would have been fine if the falcons didn't run him.. that is by far the dirtiest hockey team I've ever seen. right off the first puck drop they were punching chatham players in the head.
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Geez, I guess the referee's must have missed all this stuff...they must have been favouring the Falcons. Dirtiest team ever?....lol. Be thankful the Maroons didn't have to play Caledonia. Just a question here. Did any of the Maroons come to the aid of their goalie after he had been "run" by the Falcons? If not, then they are not much of a "team".
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

zantimisfit wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:05 am Geez, I guess the referee's must have missed all this stuff...they must have been favouring the Falcons. Dirtiest team ever?....lol. Be thankful the Maroons didn't have to play Caledonia. Just a question here. Did any of the Maroons come to the aid of their goalie after he had been "run" by the Falcons? If not, then they are not much of a "team".
Refs must've missed calls all year on the Falcons as well! 2nd least penalized team all year in the GHC. Least penalized team (per game) in the playoffs as well.

Dirtiest team he's EVER seen, must've started watching hockey 20 minutes ago.
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Welland Cougars wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:12 am
Dirtiest team he's EVER seen, must've started watching hockey 20 minutes ago.
For some fans when the team you cheer for loses you start to "imagine" things that contributed to the loss instead of admitting that the team who beat you was the better team on that night.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

zantimisfit wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:05 am Geez, I guess the referee's must have missed all this stuff...they must have been favouring the Falcons. Dirtiest team ever?....lol. Be thankful the Maroons didn't have to play Caledonia. Just a question here. Did any of the Maroons come to the aid of their goalie after he had been "run" by the Falcons? If not, then they are not much of a "team".
actually they did come to the goalies aid. were you at the game? I was and know what was seen.
Last edited by brad 36 on Thu May 19, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

brad 36 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:26 pm
actually the did come to the goalies aid. we're tough at the game? I was and know what was seen.
Did you type that with your forehead?
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Welland Cougars wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:03 pm
actually the did come to the goalies aid. we're tough at the game? I was and know what was seen.
Did you type that with your forehead?
nope between auto correct and loosing a parent things have been a little rough the past day or so. guess I should have proof read a little closer 🤷‍♂️
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Easy victory for the Falcons over Chatham tonight. Chatham seemed to have packed it in once the Falcons jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead. Falcons went into cruise control for the rest of the game. Refs tried to wake up the Maroons by giving them a questionable 5 minute power play in which they scored their only goal. Falcons can clinch first place and home ice advantage for the final with a win tomorrow night in Cambridge. Fly Falcons Fly!!!!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

The game in Hespeler tonight between Cambridge and St Catharines has been postponed.
Queen of the GOJHL

hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

Chatham will have played all four games by the end of today while Cambridge and St Catherines will have only played 2
Tony Espisto

Post by Tony Espisto »

actually they did come to the goalies aid. were you at the game? I was and know what was seen.
if it was such a dirty hit did Chatham send video to the league ? I never saw any falcon suspended for next game .
. Also classy Chatham fan yeliing Mother F er in St Catharines for all the tv audience to hear but that normal for some Maroon fans
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

They did appeal the hit and of course it was denied
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

RocketGirl wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:41 pm The game in Hespeler tonight between Cambridge and St Catharines has been postponed.
Sat's postponed game will now be played tomorrow.

Cambridge is 1-2, St Catharines is 2-1, and Chatham 2-2. If Cambridge wins, all 3 will be 2-2 and it comes down to some math as to who's in and who will be in the tie breaker game on Thursday.
Queen of the GOJHL

hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

Calling 3-0 for Cambridge Wednesday, St Catherines avoids Chatham in the finals.
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

After doing the math,the only way St. Catharines can lose out on first place is if Cambridge wins by 4 or more goals in tonight's game.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

I think St. Catherines will take it in 2 games.
gojhlchris

Post by gojhlchris »

Regular Bob Mackenzie here...lol. Great feat for both teams regardless. Too bad it has to be packed in so quickly, would've been nice to see a 7 game series with some rest for both.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

It's unfortunate due to the pandemic that they don't have the time to actually give us a full 7 game series. Chatham will at least have had this past week off, so they could take advantage and steal a win. I'm supporting and cheering for Chatham in this. I know, some of you are shocked after my previous declarations that I hate them with every fiber of my being. The difference this year is that I can get behind their story. It's a story that I know all too well and seeing them band together to overcome it, is inspiring.
Queen of the GOJHL

Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Special teams might be the difference. Last night both the Falcons and the Hawks scored 2 even strength goals but the Falcons went 1/5 on the PP while the Hawks were 0/5. The Maroons have a strong PP and are quite adept at scoring shorthanded. The team that wins the special teams battles might win this series. Looking forward to the games. Just like RocketGirl, I too wish it was a best of 7.
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Good battle for the first two periods tonight but the Falcons pulled away with 3 goals in the third period including an empty-netter for the 6-2 victory. Chatham hasn't lost back to back games since the playoffs started but that will be severely tested on Sunday night.
Tony Espisto

Post by Tony Espisto »

word is Falcons are throwing game sunday so they can win at home Tuesday
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

No team anywhere would throw a possible Cup winning game just so they can win it on home ice. Utterly ridiculous.