GO players moving to the OJHL....2019/2020

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

cchlounger

GO players moving to the OJHL....2019/2020

Post by cchlounger »

Year after year, we see an exodus of talent leave for the supposed greener pastures of the OJHL.
With so much on the line for these prospects, why do a large percentage of these young men and their families not do due diligence and their homework?
I mean, if it were my kid, I'd be well aware of which OJHL clubs to steer clear of and which ones offer a legit chance at helping attain scholarships.
Simply; if a kid in the GO isn't being highly sought after by multiple teams, he and his family shouldn't just settle for some garbage organization in the OJHL that has offered a spot.
STAY PUT and play close to friends and family in the comforts of home.....in front of meaningful crowds.
Being an OJHL guy, I can honestly say that 75% (at least) of the league is comprised of clubs not worth even considering.

Just a quick list of a few OJHL clubs to beware of and to steer clear of:

Cobourg Cougars: Led by infamous ex NHL, Jerome Dupont, GO guys historically never last the entire season under this guy. Last year alone, only goalie D. Stewart from Lasalle made it through a full campaign.
If you aren't a vet and at least 19 years old, minimum, don't even bother....you won't play! Plus, Dupont is an extremely hard guy to play for and is said to treat his players as nothing more than pawns.
Under Dupont, very few players historically ever get D1 scholarships.

Trenton Golden Hawks: Although the lure is clearly the "free play to play model" that this organization sells, players beware!
The Hawks are now onto coach four in four years.
This place is a zoo with a pile of seeming idiots running the show. Again, always an older club with very few younger players getting a chance to strut their stuff.
Historically, the Hawks don't get many D1 scholarships.

Burlington Cougars:
Mark Jooris is considered a pretty good coach and GM, but, ownership runs this team like a "Mickey Mouse" operation.
Facilities are sub par and you'd be lucky to get 100 fans at any home game.

Toronto Patriots:
Similar situation to Burlington. Ownership might be a bit better, but facilities and fan base are dismal.
Coach and GM are suspect, at best.

Any club that has transferred or relocated within the last two seasons....stay away....they are all sh*t shows.

Two ideal destinations/landing spots....clearly the most professionally run organizations in the OJHL.

Wellington Dukes: Winning tradition, history of moving players upward, great staff, superb facilities, largest fan base in the OJHL and free to play.
Dukes have been to the last two league finals, losing this season, but finishing second in the country during the 2017/18 campaign.

Oakville Blades: Ditto here. 2019 league champions, great facility and move loads of players onto the NCAA, yearly.
Caution: Blades are said to have been sold, so, all this could change if coach Mike Tarantino and his staff are not retained. The entire culture of the organization could potentially change, in a negative way.....depending if it becomes a Daddy owned team.

Just my take from the OJHL gallery.
OutsideLookingIn

Re: GO players moving to the OJHL....2019/2020

Post by OutsideLookingIn »

I couldn't agree more!!!
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Raposo of Hamilton signs with Cobourg
Ryan of LaSalle signs with Cobourg
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Zuber of Siskins signs with Cobourg
Smith of Niagara Falls signs with Wellington
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Caveat Emptor is a good phrase to think of when considering an offer from an OJ team
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Yes, very much agree with you RagingBS.

I truly wish and hope the best for these young men moving on to the OJHL, but clearly, some of these guys didn't do their homework...or have been completely snookered.

I mean, Cobourg???? Really!!!!

Side rumour: I am hearing D Stewart, formerly of LaSalle, informed Cobourg a while back of his intention to head back to the Vipers this season. However, once the new world order came down after the breakaway from the OHA a few weeks ago, Cobourg has decided to hold Stewart hostage (theoretically) and will not honour his request unless LaSalle ponies up a ridiculous amount of cash for him.

Anyone else hear this rumour?
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Didiano of the Bombers signs with Milton (formerly Newmarket)
HockeyFan35

Post by HockeyFan35 »

Milton is blowing up my social media feeds. Wild.
cchlounger wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:54 pm Didiano of the Bombers signs with Milton (formerly Newmarket)
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

There are some shady so called advisors running around the GOJHL peddling the OJ koolaid as well. More realistically there are just glorified recruiters
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Fedak of St Thomas Stars signs with the Toronto Jr. Canadiens.
Hayes of Cambridge Red Hawks signs with Milton.
Church of Brampton Bombers signs with Milton.
Bortkiewicz of Brampton Bombers signs with Milton.
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Balah of Thorold Blackhawks signs with Aurora
Mullholland of Brantford Bandits signs with Brantford (Jr.A)
Sheppard of Brantford Bandits signs with Brantford (Jr.A)
Thompson of Hamilton Kitty B's signs with Brantford
Wright of London Nationals signs with Trenton
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

Wow there must be some big bucks up for grabs in the OJHL :shock:
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Interesting part in all this movement, is that due to recent changes (OHA), the GOJHL teams losing these players to the OJHL, are no longer entitled to their development fee.....or whatever you wish to call it.
OJHL clubs can now raid the Ontario B loop, signing as many players as they wish....basically for free! No restrictions.
But yes; I assume you are correct, when you surmise that certain OJHL clubs are opening up their wallet as incentive to attract and attain talent coming out of the GO
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Chris Ishmael of the Hamilton Kitty B's acquired by Milton.
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Not the OJHL, but, three young and very talented players from the GO get plucked by the Navan Grads of the CCHL.

Blake Butler from the Legionnares
Mason Goldie from the Lincolns
Zane Dalpe from the Vipers

****The talent drain continues****
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

Brendan Kennette from Sarnia Legionnaires to Burlington Cougars.
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

Here's 2 moving the other way.

Micheal Boushy and Josh LeBlanc both of the Burlington Cougars have signed on to play in London.
the dog

Post by the dog »

also going other way Maxwell Lightfoot of Burlington cougars to niagara falls
ProbertRant

Post by ProbertRant »

Guys slamming another league here and then being a regular poster on the oj forum seems absurd.
Being familiar with both leagues , they both have their issues but overall the games get played and the kids enjoy the hockey.
The Oj is clearly the better route to Ncaa while the goj is a great place to develop to get to higher levels.
ProbertRant

Post by ProbertRant »

..and furthermore I just fact checked 2 OJ orgs websites bashed by o.p,notably burlington and tor patriots. I did my due diligence as you recommend and I see D1 commits, OHL, Cis ,d3 etc from both orgs over the years.
This is why players make the jump to ojhl. Again nothing wrong with goj its a great league but to say 75% of the teams are trash is just inaccurate. Enjoy the hockey
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Ummm, ok
Thanks for your insights.
If you are truly familiar with both leagues, why would you need to fact check on team websites?
Knowing the history of said teams should suffice, one would presume.
Unless, of course, you're being over zealous in your stated familiarity with the OJHL!
For the record, you're darn right I'm a regular contributor to the OJHL forum.....and proud of it.
Just as I'm proud to be a part of this forum, as well.
I love Junior hockey.....of all levels.
In saying that, I'm gonna call a spade a spade and not bury my head in the sand to the ills that currently plague our game.
ProbertRant

Post by ProbertRant »

Its great you are a fan of Jr hockey. I hope you find my posts accurate and factual. The players read this forum and the oj forum.
It would be great to highlight players, highlight teams and avoid
Alot of the grudges or emotions that arent accurate. Im not singling out you per se either ..
For the mostpart i enjoy all the updates and facts and so do the kids reading this.
If something is truly horribly wrong i get it.
The OJ is a great league regardless of player fees etc. Is it perfect no but its really damn good hockey.
I encourage any midget or jr b parent/player to go to the showcase in Buffalo. You will be impressed. Wall to wall scouts and professionally done.
The Goj is a great league also with many many players capable of playing jr a and some teams of equal calibre to jr a.
Where a kid plays, theres many reasons. Most go to Oj in hopes of making Ncaa. Have a great day!
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Once again, thanks for your comments.

As for my words; I'll stand behind them, as being 100% accurate.

I know one OJHL club (I assume you are affiliated with) whom were unhappy with my views and assessment their operations.

What I'll say is this; Do your job better, in a more professional manner and not look to scapegoat and hide from your past misgivings.
History is history for a reason; it gives us a compilation of data from which to base an educated response or two upon.
cchlounger

Post by cchlounger »

Here's a big one: Justin Kyle of Niagara Falls signs on with Collingwood Colts of the OJHL.
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

Funny reading the OJ forum, they think Kyle will be lucky to put up a point per game in the OJHL, because he only put up these numbers playing Jr. B

And according to them it's "Jr B" for a reason :roll:
OutsideLookingIn

Post by OutsideLookingIn »

Those guys have zero clue.... probably the same guys over the years pounded their chests saying that the GTHL is the only credible AAA hockey league there is.... all this while still living in their parents basement and riding the TTC or asking for rides to arena.
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

I wonder if that thought on AAA has anything to do with the fact that if you look at the past OHF champions GTHL teams have probably won about 90% of the championships.