First week surprises, and thoughts

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

First week surprises, and thoughts

Post by Port hockey1 »

Seeing Niagara Falls off to a 2-0 start isn't a huge surprise. They have a deep offence, solid defence, and a great goalie. Seeing them put up 12 goals in 2 games against the St.Catharines Falcons has been a big surprise.

Some say the Falcons are in a bit of a re-build this year. But that isn't something the Falcons ownership has done in a very longtime, so I'm still a bit unsure what to expect from them this season. Maybe fans can answer that. Is Niagara Falls built that much better than the Falcons this year, or were the Falcons just off their game at the start of the season?

Pelham starting 2-0 might surprise some. But I'm expecting a top 3 finish from the Panthers this season. They've managed to hang onto some players from the last few years, and they look like a pretty solid team this year. They probably have the best goalie in the league. Still waiting to see how they stack up against the Falls, and Falcons this year though.

Thorold's off to a nice 2-0 start to their season. They might have a 5th place team this year. They should be better than Fort Erie, Welland, and Lockport.

Despite starting the season 1-1, Hamilton will probably have a pretty decent team. They should be able to finish 4th, maybe even take a run at a top 3 finish.

Welland looks worse than last year, IMO.

With Fort Erie, it's hard to tell. The talent never seems to be there, for them to be contenders. But they have a really good coach now, so it should be interesting.

Looks like its going to be a long season for Lockport. Yes, they look better than previous years. But other than the fact they shouldn't give up 20+ goals, regularly this season... There doesn't look to be many positives from them.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
jfvoll

Re: First week surprises, and thoughts

Post by jfvoll »

Port hockey1 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:57 pm Pelham starting 2-0 might surprise some. But I'm expecting a top 3 finish from the Panthers this season. They've managed to hang onto some players from the last few years, and they look like a pretty solid team this year. They probably have the best goalie in the league. Still waiting to see how they stack up against the Falls, and Falcons this year though.
I would love to see Pelham in the top 3, it would definitely be a huge improvement compared to the 15/16 season.

Port hockey1 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:57 pm Welland looks worse than last year, IMO.
That explains the $5 admission in September and $100 season ticket prices haha
GOJHLHockeyFan3

Post by GOJHLHockeyFan3 »

I disagree with you there. I thought Welland hasn't looked too bad considering they've had three ice times with the full team. Sloppy and things need to get better, but defense looks Ok and goaltending looks real solid for them. The games I've seen from Hamilton, they haven't impressed me. I think you'll Fort Erie and Lockport at the bottom. I like Thorold as my sleeper team, they've looked good. I still think NF is the team to beat.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

GOJHLHockeyFan3 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:30 pm I disagree with you there. I thought Welland hasn't looked too bad considering they've had three ice times with the full team. Sloppy and things need to get better, but defense looks Ok and goaltending looks real solid for them. The games I've seen from Hamilton, they haven't impressed me. I think you'll Fort Erie and Lockport at the bottom. I like Thorold as my sleeper team, they've looked good. I still think NF is the team to beat.
I agree I am not sure what team Port Hockey has been watching because its hard for Welland to get worse than last season. They looked pretty good for 2 periods last night. They were sloppy in the 3rd but still could have easily won that game. I think they will struggle to score but wont give up as many goals as last season in my opinion. Hamilton didn't impress me at all. They could not complete a pass or stay out of the penalty box for most of the game.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Wellands goal tending has to be better than last year for sure! Hopefully they got rid of Mr B the scout? New HD scout is a class act all the way!
Not sure who had that American kid come in last mid season but he was a cancer for the team and couldn't skate, why bring those players in?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLHockeyFan3 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:30 pm I disagree with you there. I thought Welland hasn't looked too bad considering they've had three ice times with the full team. Sloppy and things need to get better, but defense looks Ok and goaltending looks real solid for them. The games I've seen from Hamilton, they haven't impressed me. I think you'll Fort Erie and Lockport at the bottom. I like Thorold as my sleeper team, they've looked good. I still think NF is the team to beat.
I really hope you're right about Welland. I was going by the big turnover of players. But they have looked pretty decent early this season. I was told they would be better this year, but I had my doubts.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Ozzy is a great developement coach! If the kids can come in, listen and learn, work hard as a team.
Good things can come out of WJC this year! The only thing that concerns me in all that is the "Owner"
he is a mess, there is no doubt in our minds or even the City of Welland's minds about that! Its unfortunate!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Pelham's on fire, 5-0 start to their season.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Port hockey1 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:23 pm Pelham's on fire, 5-0 start to their season.
Yep they have been quite good. Lets wait till they play Niagara Falls and St. Catharines though.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLfan1 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:34 pm
Port hockey1 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:23 pm Pelham's on fire, 5-0 start to their season.
Yep they have been quite good. Lets wait till they play Niagara Falls and St. Catharines though.
I can't wait to see how they stack up against them. A longtime family friend's grandson is a top player on Pelham, so I have a bit of a soft spot for that group of kids these days.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

I know this is a new season but if my memory serves me correctly Pelham beat St Kitts 3 times last year!
Can't say that St Kitts is better this year, they lost a pretty darn good tendy in Savory, I do feel that Pelham is even better this season...! Should be interesting.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Hamilton improves to 6-1. Not bad for a team that doesn't impress anyone. lol
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Hamilton is a very well coached team! Those that may underestimate them will continue to be surprised as the season goes on, mark my word!
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Any team can beat any team on any night in the Shoe this season if they take there foot off the gas. Key example Sunday in Welland. Falls almost blew a 7-0 lead. Probably would have if Welland did not take a stupid penalty with 4 minutes to go.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Look at that last night Lockport beats Welland and now tonight Thorold beats Pelham.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Welland has been on a slow and consistent decline and will continue until the root cause is replaced!
Players feel that more than people think. Hopefully the kids don't get discouraged and grow to hate the game because of it!
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Yep I agree. Something needs to change in Welland.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Welland looks awful.
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

Only 14 skaters dressed for Welland tonight. What's going on?
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Welland Cougars wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm Only 14 skaters dressed for Welland tonight. What's going on?
Well 3 got suspended after Friday nights game and 1 injured.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Wow! Good thing Wellands goalie showed up tonight, 63 shots, Defense and some back checking from the forwards seem to be in order!
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Pelham after starting the season at 8-1 have since gone 1-6 in their last 7 outings. Looks as though
the news from last week's OHA meetings have really sent Tiny Tim and his crew into a tail spin :roll:
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Lockport and Thorold play to a 3-3 tie tonight and Thorold had to tie it up with 3 minutes left. Like I have said anyones game on any night
CC1

Post by CC1 »

Not sure which is more surprising, the Lockport tie or the Canucks losing 2 straight, including last night's loss to Fort Erie??
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Lockport beats Pelham tonight 4-3
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Good for the Regals! Seen them get pounded pretty badly in some games over the last couple years. Coaches and players should proud of their progress. Hopefully they can keep going and it may be the start of a continuous incline?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Not sure why Pelham has struggled, but they'll work through it.
I look at it like there's two divisions in one here. You have, Niagara Falls, Hamilton, St.Cathairnes, and Pelham. They are capable of beating each other any night.

Then there's the jokes of the league; Welland, Fort Erie, Lockport, and Thorold. Those teams seem capable of beating each other. Thorold might improve.

Obviously the bottom teams are capable of pulling off upsets over the top 4. But that will happen less often, as teams add & subtract, and start finding team chemistry.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Teams swap players in and out way to much from Sept to Jan in my opinion! Are coaches and staff just to lazy or couldn't be bothered to teach/coach kids through a season anymore? I find if a kid has a bad swing of a few games he is gone?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

It does seem like teams rush into making moves early these days. Maybe because they figure they need to find talent early, before other teams grab players. The Falcons are known for big moves though, some of them are very surprising. A few years ago they would trade skilled players to Thorold, the last couple of years they've sent them to Niagara Falls.

I think with the Falcons, they prefer kids who will work hard over kids who just have pure talent. I like that strategy, but dealing to the Falls could come back to bite them in the playoffs.