2018-2019 Season Predictions

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

ILuvHackey

2018-2019 Season Predictions

Post by ILuvHackey »

Back with the same format as the last two years. Here is my predictions. Have seen 6 of 8 teams in pre-season games thus far. Sad I won't be in St. Catharines this weekend, but oh well. Let's get the season going.

Team Standings
1. Elmira - Goodwin/Cameron/Dubecki could light it up, depth up front and on back end, two solid Gs.
2. Waterloo - Most of last year's team that took Listowel to 7 games is back. Owen Lane is a big add. Rookie goalies?
3. Kitchener - Good amount of returning guys, some good local rooks. Brought in an OHL experienced G.
4. Listowel - Brought back two big scorers. A lot of fresh faces after that. Something of a retooling year.
5. Stratford - Losing Pearson stings, already lost most of their scoring from last year. Back end looks strong.
6. Cambridge - Young and hard working. Going to be a thorn in teams sides. Might not win many but gonna give teams fits.
7. Brampton - Same old, lot of Midget guys making the jump. One or two returnees.
8. Brantford - Does ownership even care now with OJ team? Probably a rough year coming.

Most Likely to Lead Midwest in Scoring
1. Holdyn Lansink (Listowel)
2. Owen Lane (Waterloo)
3. Jeremy Goodwin (Elmira)
Honorable Mentions: Hunter Dubecki (Elmira), Zac Cameron (Elmira), Sam Cherry (Waterloo), Sam Spaedt (Waterloo), Sean Ross (Stratford)

Best Dman in Midwest Candidates
1. Damien Figueira (Elmira)
2. Mason Sinkeldam (Cambridge)
3. Hugh Anderson (Stratford)
HMs: Shane Donovan (Waterloo), Anthony Azzano (Elmira), Harlen VanWynsberghe (Listowel)

Midwest Rookie of the Year Candidates
1. Joe Serpa (Waterloo)
2. Brody Waters (Elmira)
3. Ben McFarlane (Cambridge)
HMS: Jakson Kirk (Elmira), Brayden Krieger (Listowel), Andrew Gunlock (Stratford)

Midwest Goalie of the Year Candidates
1. Lucas Patton (Kitchener)
2. Rhett Kimmel (Elmira)
3. Regan Gies (Cambridge)
HMS: Zack Weir (Stratford), Evan Reinhart (Listowel)
Port hockey1

Re: 2018-2019 Season Predictions

Post by Port hockey1 »

1.Listowel
2.Waterloo
3.Elmira
4.Stratford
5.Kitchener
6.Brampton
7.Cambridge
8.Brantford
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Listowel Cyclones

43-5-0-2, first

Won Sutherland Cup

It took Jason Brooks one day to move on from winning the Sutherland Cup.

Listowel’s head coach will have plenty of time to reminisce about the franchise’s first provincial title when he’s done coaching, but the summer gave Brooks a chance to recharge and refocus as the Cyclones prepare to defend their title.

“I’d like to say it was relief and satisfaction winning it,” he said. “Looking forward, I wasn’t looking at anything. When we won the season was over and it closed a chapter for that group and for me. I really didn’t start looking at hockey until we got ready for camp in August.

“I needed a break and I left it in (management’s) capable hands, and they did a fantastic job.”

Like most Sutherland Cup champions, the Cyclones underwent several changes in the off-season.

Captains Caleb Warren and Blake Nichol, forwards Cullen Mercer, Brady Anderson, Tommy Hoogaars, Brett Primeau and Ben VanOoteghem, and defencemen Keaton Willis and Garrett Russell all graduated.

Also gone are forwards Jakob Lee (Brooks-AJHL), Mitch Deelstra (Alberni Valley-BCHL), defencemen Danny Skinner (LaSalle-GOJHL) and Max Coyle (Prince George-BCHL), and Sutherland Cup MVP goalie Max Wright (Brooks-AJHL).

“You can’t dwell on the past,” Brooks said. “This is a new group, new challenges with them, and kind of build on the beginning as opposed to looking at the past and where things ended up.”

Chayse Herrfort and Holdyn Lansink headline a small group of returning players. Herrfort led the Cyclones with 70 points (29G, 41A) in 2017-18, while Lansink was close behind with 29 goals and 67 points.

“They’re great leaders,” Brooks said. “They’ll be extensions of us coaches, and they understand what we did as a group to be successful and how we play to be successful and mentor this group into a successful team and see where it goes from there.”

Bryce McFadden, Jagger O’Toole, Steven Grant, Brenden Cederberg and Trent Verbeek – the Game 7 hero in Listowel’s second-round series win over Waterloo – will get a chance to take on more responsibility up front this season. Evan Reinhart is back after posting a 1.64 goals-against average and .938 save percentage in 11 games with Listowel after coming over from Brantford.

“They have experienced the successes but they haven’t dealt with the new scenarios they’ll deal with this year,” Brooks said.

Incoming players include forwards Brayden Krieger (Guelph major midget), Craig McKaque (St. Thomas-GOJHL), Jonah White (Waterloo major midget), Rylan Bowers (Elgin-Middlesex minor midget), Jacob Bloomfield (Waterloo major midget), Hayden Coulter (Mount Forest-PJHL), and defencemen Brendan Koops (Waterloo major midget), David Mabey (Waterloo major midget), Thomas Gangl (Huron-Perth minor midget), Max Mulder (Stratford-GOJHL and Huron-Perth major midget), and goalie Riley McCabe (Waterloo major midget).

“The group is young, the group is hardworking,” Brooks said. “They’re willing to learn, and that to me is a bonus. They come in in a lot of cases from successful programs, so winning is something they’re used to. They have an attitude and hunger to win, and because of our team success the last couple years they feel a responsibility to keep it going.”

Brooks said the goal remains the same – to get better every day.

“In the end, who really knows where we’ll finish or what will happen. I can’t control what other teams will do. I can control what we’ll do and how hard we’ll work.”

Elmira Sugar Kings

29-21-0-0, third

Lost to Listowel in Cherrey Cup final

Elmira will have a different look this season with 13 players gone from last year’s squad that made it to the Cherrey Cup final.

Ethan Skinner, Ethan Wiseman, Ryan Takamatsu, Jeff Jordan, Brayden Munn and Tyler Beauparlant graduated, leaving the Sugar Kings with two of their top eight scorers.

Returning forwards Jeremey Goodwin (22G, 36A) and Zack Cameron (16G, 19A) will be counted on to produce more offence this year, while secondary scorers Ty Biles (6G, 17A) and Mason McMahon (7G, 8A) are among those coming back who will get a chance to move up the lineup.

There are 11 new players this season, including former Brantford 99ers forward Hunter Dubecki and goalie Matt Woroniuk, who will join returning netminder Rhett Kimmel (2.68 GAA, .915 SV%).

“When you replace half of your team there is a great deal of work ahead for your coaching staff,” Elmira general manager Kevin Bloch said. “My expectations are that the team will work hard and compete. When you have that in your team culture … your group will develop, continue to grow, and have fun along the way.”

Waterloo Siskins

25-21-1-3, fourth

Lost to Listowel in semifinal

Waterloo leading scorer Sam Cherry is back after notching 30 goals and 56 points in 2017-18. Sam Spaedt (15G, 32A), Tyler Dam (11G, 26A) and Winston Cestnick (15G, 15A) are among the other returning players who will provide plenty of offence this season, while captain Alex Cimono will return for a final year.

They’ll be joined by forwards Owen Lane (Caledonia-GOJHL), Joseph Serpa (Cambridge major midget), and defenceman Shane Donovan (Rayside Balfour-NOJHL), plus a group of young American players.

Goalie Brett Miller (USHL), and forwards Alex Lycett (NAHL), Carter Tresoor (OHL), and Zach Leonard (age) are the Siskins’ biggest losses.

“We’re going to have one of the strongest teams in the years since I’ve run this program,” Waterloo president and director of hockey operations Curtis Clairmont said. “I think if we don’t get to the Cherry Cup final this year we’d be disappointed. I know that’s a big statement to make and I don’t want to put a curse on us. Historically we’ve had a reputation of being the underdog, but this year we come with some pretty big expectations.”

Kitchener Dutchmen

24-23-1-2, fifth

Lost to Waterloo in quarterfinal

While veterans Ben Morris, Austin Gaboury, Adam Pys and David Kiss have graduated or gone to university, a new crop of Kitchener Dutchmen are ready to take over.

Sean Kawalec had 23 goals and 46 points in 48 games as a rookie in 2017-18, and Kole Scott notched 10 goals and 35 points in his first season with the Dutchmen.

Fellow forwards Jeff Schrattner (12G, 11A), Tyler Harrison (10G, 23A), and blue-liners Blair Derynck (13G, 13A) and Matt Marinier (5G, 2A) are among the key returnees.

Newcomers include forwards Kyle Kennery (Ancaster-GOJHL), Cam Allan (Hagersville-PJHL), Niagara IceDogs draft pick Ryan Campbell (DNP-Injury), and goalie Luc Patton (Windsor-OHL and Chatham-GOJHL).

“With a solid core of players returning, we hope to establish ourselves in the top half of the conference early and continue to build as the season progresses,” general manager Jeff Grimwood said.

Brampton Bombers

16-33-1-0, sixth

Lost to Elmira in quarterfinal

Captain Ivan Brewer (21G, 28A) leads a group of returning Bombers that includes forwards Brandan Fisher (2G, 3A), Hughie Sheppard (5G, 8A), Marcus Didiano (6G, 9A), and Remy Dalben (10G, 12A), who recently returned from Sudbury Wolves camp. Andrew Reynolds and Daniel Butt were affiliates last season and will get a greater opportunity in 2018-19.

On the blue-line, Braeden Ferguson (3G, 10A) will anchor the defence this season.

New players include defencemen Josh Booker, Noah Church and 16-year-old Luka Profaca. All three attended OHL camps this summer.

“May be a bit of a learning curve in the early going naturally, but exciting blue-line will battle each and every shift and all have lots of upside,” Brampton general manager Mike Camilleri said.

In goal, David Giancola and Soo Greyhounds draft pick Owen Porter both had a strong pre-season as the Bombers went 5-1.

Leading scorer Patrick Del Vecchio, goalie Travis Smith, and defenceman John Aonso will play for Brampton’s OJHL team in 2018-19. Forward Mason Gonsalves and goalie Josh Eisfeld are focusing on school this year.

Brantford 99ers

13-30-2-5, seventh

Lost to Stratford in quarterfinal

Fans may want to buy a program when the 99ers visit this season.

Brantford doesn’t have any returning players, as seven graduated, including Jack Gaffney (15G, 36A). Six are playing in the OJHL, and the rest have gone elsewhere. Leading scorer Christian Polillo (London) and Dubecki (Elmira) will remain in the GOJHL.

It will be up to head coach Wes Consorti to mould an entirely new group into a competitive team.

Forwards Jordie Morgan (Dundas-PJHL) and Shaun General (French River-NOJHL and St. Marys-GOJHL), and defenceman Ben Sheppard (Dundas-PJHL) are three incoming players who give the 99ers junior hockey experience.

“(We’re) going to go young and hope to get better every game,” general manager Darren DeDobbelaer said.

Cambridge Redhawks

12-30-1-7

Lost to Listowel in quarterfinal

The team-formerly-known-as-the-Guelph Hurricanes will try to improve on an offence that was last in the Midwestern Conference in 2017-18 with an average of two goals per game.

Losing Anthony Mota’s team-leading 26 goals is a blow to the RedHawks, who do return forward Matthew Chard (7G, 14A), and defencemen Brett Hunter (2G, 7A), Niki Molson (3G, 12A), Mason Sinkeldam (1G, 8A) and Payton McLeish (3G, 13A).

Starting goalie Jet Greaves and forward Connor LePage will both play for the OHL’s Barrie Colts.

Forward Ben McFarlane (Cambridge major midget) is an all-round player who is “enjoyable to watch every shift as he never takes one off,” RedHawks general manager Bill Wallace said.

Forward Samson Scholten (Mississauga-OJHL) “works extremely hard on and off the ice, brings a physical style of play and leads by example,” Wallace said.

Cambridge’s GM said the goal was to build a young, fast, highly-skilled group and combine that with mature leadership.

“We expect this team to compete each game and to be in the top four by the end of the season.”
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

1.Elmira
2.Waterloo
3.Listowel
4.Kitchener
5.Stratford
6.Cambridge
7.Brampton
8.Brantford
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

Happy New Year everyone! Now that we are into the stretch towards the playoffs just wondering what your thoughts are what will happen in the MidWest? The top 4 Waterloo, Listowel, Stratford and Elmira are within 4 points of each other with Kitchener a mere 4 points behind in 5th. It seems to be a pretty even playing field except for Cambridge, Brantford and Brampton (although any of those 3 can cause havoc on any given night).

Do you see any team making some moves before the deadline? Who do you think will prevail in this tight division?
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Heard Elmira is adding big time thinking they can win the Midwest this year.
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

With it being so tight in the top 4 it really is anyone's to take.

Elmira added Ivan Brewer from the Bombers. He was their leading scorer with 15 goals.