2018-19 Predictions

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

SugarKing

2018-19 Predictions

Post by SugarKing »

Enough arguing..with teams rounding out their rosters, this is the best part of the forum. Anyone willing to take a stab? Interested to see a number of teams. Seems like everything is staying the same, so what do we think? Niagara, Hamilton, London, Chatham, Elmira and listowel all seem to have some good players coming in or back.
RagingBS

Re: 2018-19 Predictions

Post by RagingBS »

I would go with Niagara and Hamilton in the Shoe, London and Chatham in the West. Midwest is tough to call
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I'm going to say;

Chatham & London battle for first in the west

Listowel finishes first in the mid-west

St.Catharines & Niagara Falls battle all season for top spot in the shoe
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Not knowing so much about the West or Mid West I will not even attempt to predict. If I had to guess the usual Listowel/Elmira in Mid and London in the West

My standings prediction for the Shoe

Falls (Best team on paper. Goaltending scares me though)
St. Catharines
Hamilton
Pelham
Welland
Thorold
Lockport
Fort Erie

Bottom 4 could go anyway but thats how I think it will finish. Seen different teams from all of them in the pre season so far so I am just not sure.
hockeyfan2018

Post by hockeyfan2018 »

GOJHLfan1 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:37 pm Not knowing so much about the West or Mid West I will not even attempt to predict. If I had to guess the usual Listowel/Elmira in Mid and London in the West

My standings prediction for the Shoe

Falls (Best team on paper. Goaltending scares me though)
St. Catharines
Hamilton
Pelham
Welland
Thorold
Lockport
Fort Erie

Bottom 4 could go anyway but thats how I think it will finish. Seen different teams from all of them in the pre season so far so I am just not sure.
Younger league this year except for NF. I would guess the following:

Top 3 in no order
NF (will score a lot, will give up a lot, after top 1-2 d they are not strong to compete vs top teams in other conference)
Hamilton (will be very strong on D, will be going but will surprise and might be best team by the end of the season)
St. Catharines (youngest team they’ve had in some time. Lost some guys unexpected to OHL. Will be a solid overall team)

Big gap her to rest of league

Thorold (lost a few players but will be a solid team, well coached and will be competitive)

Pelham (improved and picked up better players they believe are 1st liners and goalie but still not to top three team levels. Bottom lines players in depth areas weak)

Small gap here

Welland (after top 3-4 players overall they will have a hard time competing. Sad how this organization has dropped from their strong past)

Buffalo (organization moving in right direction, they may surprise and be even better with middle pack with Thorold and Pelham)

Fort Erie (will be last imo. They do push a couple guys on each year but will struggle overall)
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Other than Lansink and Herrfort, Listowel is made up mostly of young rookies this year.

Elmira, Waterloo and Kitchener are the teams with experience coming back this year from what I've seen in pre-season. Some mix of them at the top.

Cambridge, Listowel and Stratford in the next pack as younger teams with some tenacity in them.

Haven't seen Brantford but don't expect they'll be any good.
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

I am only familiar with the Mid-West. This should be another competitive year and probably closer than last year. I believe the top teams in this division have come down a notch and others have picked it up. Both Elmira and Listowell have re-stocked with younger players but it will not mean that they will be as strong as last year due to the loss of veterans. I see Cambridge doing some damage as they appear to be a good young team complement by some veterans. Waterloo and Kitchener both will be competitive and Brampton has re-stocked well. I think these five teams will be really fun to watch and provide entertaining games.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

In the West I'll go

1. London
2. Chatham
3. St Thomas
4. Leamington
5. LaSalle
6. Sarnia
7. Komoka
8. Strathroy
9. St Mary's
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

1.Chatham
2.London
3.Leamington
4.LaSalle
5.St.Marys
6.St.Thomas
7.Sarnia
8.Strathroy
9.Komoka
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Chatham will need to secure better goal tending to support finishing in top spot! Some of the so called ringers they picked up will need to bring it every night, they're gifted, but lack heart! Anxious to see how they respond to new Coach "Mac" he can be a bit of a head case (especially If/when he loses a game)! That's what I was told from previously coached CIS and MM AAA players!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I've been thinking about my predictions for a couple days now.

1. London
2. Chatham
3. LaSalle
4. Leamington
5. Sarnia
6. Strathroy
7. St Thomas
8. St Marys
9. Komoka

Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
phillipdh

Post by phillipdh »

1. London
2. St Thomas
3. Leamington
4. Chatham
5. LaSalle
6. St. Mary's
7. Sarnia
8. Strathroy
9. Komoka
I make hockey teams look good
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

Any surprises so far? Really thought that Strathroy would have been better than what they are. I think it will be between them and St.Mary’s for that last spot in the west. London looks to be the team to beat there. I’m sure Chatham will spend the big bucks to compete. Anything from Leamington? Let’s get some hockey talk back on here, OHA stuff is getting tiring.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm probably more shocked than anyone at the 0-5 start from my boys. They better start figuring it out soon.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

I thought they would have a better start as well. It looks like they are getting solid contributions from some rookies, some of the vets, not so much.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Flyers seem to struggling? Lost to St.Mary's? A bunch of players gone from flyers this year. They lost a couple Defence that went to Junior C. These D seem to have a hard time cutting it in Junior C so far? I guess maybe that's why they aren't playing B anymore!
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I actually think the Rockets have a better team this year than last year, the problem is everyone else, particularly St. Marys and Komoka who have been at the bottom with the Rockets the last few years, are better too.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Sarnia looks pretty solid so far. I think its early to get too worried about the Rockets though.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Love our game - lots of good players wanted out after the ownership change. Different times in Leamington.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

What's with the "end of an era" thing in Leamington? What does that exactly mean? Alot of their good players seem to still be there?
New ownership or not, if your good and have a good attitude teams will do what it takes to keep you there for sure!
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

Love our game wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:32 pm What's with the "end of an era" thing in Leamington? What does that exactly mean? Alot of their good players seem to still be there?
New ownership or not, if your good and have a good attitude teams will do what it takes to keep you there for sure!
I have to agree with that comment. Something seems off with the team. The team was always a threat because of coaching, hard work and skill throughout the lineup. Seems like it’s gone to me as well. They don’t seem to want to go through a wall for this new group of coaches. My outside opinion only.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

SugarKing wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 pmThe team was always a threat because of coaching, hard work and skill throughout the lineup.

And that's why it's the end of an era.
Abe Fehr owned the Flyers for a while and Tony Piroski, who is probably one of the best coaches in their history, was coach for most of that time Fehr owned the team, if not the entire tenure.

I can't comment on the new owners or coaches/managers because I don't know them and we haven't exactly seen what they can do yet. Their tenure is just starting, there's always a transition period.
Queen of the GOJHL

Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Leamingtons new owners are all great guys and just so happen to have a lot great hockey experience.
They will get things Rockin n Rolling there sooner than later for sure!
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

Leamington does always seem to pull it together, as does Lasalle. Big win for the Vipers against Chatham. Starting to look like London will run away with the division with ease. St.Thomas is hanging around, looks like a bottleneck for those 2-6 spots. See it finishing Flyers, Maroons, Sarnia, Stars, Lasalle. Even with the early wins, my guess is Komoka may be the odd team out. Great start to the season so far though, glad to see the bottom teams being more competitive.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Leamington gets much stronger between the pipes now that they have picked up Big G Zach Borgiel from USHL!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

flyers2011 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:16 pm In the West I'll go

1. London
2. Chatham
3. St Thomas
4. Leamington
5. LaSalle
6. Sarnia
7. Komoka
8. Strathroy
9. St Mary's
Guess you need to have more faith in your team there Flyers.
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Port hockey1 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:26 pm I'm going to say;

Chatham & London battle for first in the west

Listowel finishes first in the mid-west

St.Catharines & Niagara Falls battle all season for top spot in the shoe
I didn't do too bad, I guess. Got the MidWest and the Shoe right.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

RG throwing out the chirps lol always good for a Monday laugh. Hopefully the Flyers take it easy on your rockets.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I can chirp all day long. Was just pointing out that you ragged on your team before the season even started, saying they weren't gonna be very good, that it was the end of an era, and they finished first, so clearly you underestimated them and needed to have more faith.

I'm not too concerned about my boys, and I'll see you on Thursday.
Queen of the GOJHL

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

8th place team but not concerned. Good luck RG. It was the end of a era. Coach and owner had been there for 8 years. And you need chirping lessons. I'll teach ya some Thursday.