2018/2019 Schedule

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

HockeyDad1

Re: 2018/2019 Schedule

Post by HockeyDad1 »

RagingBS wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:27 pm It is likely too late to cancel. They will have booked for most of the weekend. The facility is likely not interested in buying back 75 hours of ice without a significant financial penalty this late.
I get that, Im moreso saying its going to be a waste given that no one has any idea what the showcase looks like.

If your a scout looking at the website, you have no idea there is a showcase or where it is, why would you plan for it?

Feel bad for the kids who pay for it, its going to be a waste of cash.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

And it will be on the players dime unfortunately even though this clearly isn't their fault.
haylo

Post by haylo »

I’m pretty sure that the date and location for the Showcase were up on the GOJHL site some time ago. Scouts would have had plenty of time to include it in their plans. I’d think since it was the same time as previous seasons it was already on most scouts radar. I doubt a full season schedule not yet being out would impact their decision to attend. However, if a schedule isn’t out soon I can see any serious scout questioning the validity of the league as a whole.
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

haylo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:08 pm I’m pretty sure that the date and location for the Showcase were up on the GOJHL site some time ago. Scouts would have had plenty of time to include it in their plans. I’d think since it was the same time as previous seasons it was already on most scouts radar. I doubt a full season schedule not yet being out would impact their decision to attend. However, if a schedule isn’t out soon I can see any serious scout questioning the validity of the league as a whole.
The only mention of a showcase is the 2017 one in Brantford, they post the schedule and location, which is great other then it’s a year behind.

For reference, my sons old minor hockey team hosted a tournament every year for 3 age groups? They had information up 8 months in advance. It’s 3/4 weeks until the GOJHL Showcase and there’s nothing up there...
haylo

Post by haylo »

Are we not talking the same thing?
On GOJHL.ca it shows the 2018 Showcase as being Sept 7-9 in St.Catherines. It’s right on the homepage, along with the Futures and Prospects game on Dec.27 in Waterloo. No schedule but the dates and location have been listed for a while.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Futures and Prospect games were advertised in Hamilton a 2 weeks ago, now they are Waterloo, who knows where they will be in September if they even exist at all. Facts are the PJHL has their exhibition schedule already listed, regular season will likely be up shortly. Even the outlaw GMHL has their schedule up..
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

CHATHAM MAROON 2018 PRE-SEASON SCHEDULE
AUG. 23 @ SARNIA 7:00 PM PROGRESSIVE AUTO SALES ARENA
AUG. 24 @ ST. THOMAS 7:30 PM TIMKEN CENTER
AUG. 26 ST. THOMAS 4:00 PM THAMES CAMPUS
AUG. 28 LEAMINGTON 7:30 PM THAMES CAMPUS
AUG. 30 @ LEAMINGTON 7:00 PM HIGHBURY CANCO ARENA
SEPT. 4 SARNIA 7:00 PM MEMORIAL ARENA
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Don't blame the GOJHL or the GOJHL.Inc for the situation that the league finds itself in today. The real blame lies within the 4 walls that surrounds the OHA. Poor and failing leadership and bad decision making has lead this sorry group to the edge of the cliff that they are perched on today.

The OHA reminds me of the beginning of a forest fire, every branch (they oversee) is beginning to burn.
We are all entitled to our own opinions but I believe once the OHF and or Hockey Canada get involved you
will see changes as to how the OHA runs its hockey operations

Good luck to all 25 teams and here's hopping your league enjoys a enjoyable and successful year.
You still have thousands of fans in Southern and Western Ontario that support you.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

RagingBS wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:59 pm
coachFloyd wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:08 pm
RagingBS wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:56 pm What does a GOJHL Commissioner do? That is the $431,250 question. He has nothing to do with creating a league schedule or the release of information or even ensuring that issues are resolved in a timely manner. One has to ask what his function might be.
one of the GOJHL Commissioners jobs is to deal with upset parents that paid the $750 GOJHL fee directly to their kids team and then find out it was never forwarded to the GOJHL...takes up a little time :lol:
So this is an excuse for not having a schedule published? Furthermore how would the players know that Inc didn't get their $750. Has this fee been explained to parents and players 18 and older? Does GOJHL Inc ever issue financial statements to parents? What happens with excess revenues? Are teams refunded money that should be returned to the players or is GOJHL Inc a for profit corporation? Most parents don't even know that The GOJHL and GOJHL Inc are not the same entity.
"allegedly"
I'll wait for the investigation to be completed on this situation before I comment again on it
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

haylo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 pm Are we not talking the same thing?
On GOJHL.ca it shows the 2018 Showcase as being Sept 7-9 in St.Catherines. It’s right on the homepage, along with the Futures and Prospects game on Dec.27 in Waterloo. No schedule but the dates and location have been listed for a while.
I see that now.

Conversly, when I click on the 'showcase' button (which would make sense if I want information about it), it takes me to a page advertising the 2017 Showcase, where it is, schedule, etc.

I feel that whomever is running the social media/web doesn't really know what they are doing. If you know when and where events are, such as a showcase, shouldn't you update you 'showcase' page? That's pretty basic. Again, its like a minor hockey team hosting a tournament and not updating their tournament page, it doesnt happen.

My buddy who scouts for London emailed the league with regards to the schedule, showcase info etc, guess what response he got? He didn't get one. A scout wants to go and you can't even send a generic email back. Thats nothing to do with OHA/Inc drama, its just basic customer service.

End of the day we are 21 days away and still nothing. Its to bad, the kids are the ones who are getting screwed over by it.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

an OHL scout keen to go to the GOJHL showcase is doing nothing but showing everybody there he's an OHL scout
get back to the minor midget games, you're not going to find a diamond in the rough there to impress the Hunters
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

coachFloyd wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 am an OHL scout keen to go to the GOJHL showcase is doing nothing but showing everybody there he's an OHL scout
get back to the minor midget games, you're not going to find a diamond in the rough there to impress the Hunters
I imagine both the GOJHL and GOJHL Inc teams will have staff dressed in team jackets, however I never viewed as just trying to impress others. The OHL teams including the London Knights sign free agents every year, even with the added U18 draft. Fact is the draft isn't perfect and since there is nothing else going on that weekend the OHL scouts will be there to see how their prospects measure up to other players that were on their radar but they passed on in the minor midget draft. Even more importantly they will be checking on their mid round picks to see how they are adjusting to their current team. But back to your main point, they will be wearing their team jackets since they are actually working.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

The GOJHL has finally released most of their preseason schedule just 3 days ahead of the first preseason game this Friday in Pelham. This season has 2 " Non GOJHL" teams competing in preseason action, Niagara Riverhawks and Woodstock Navy Vets. I could see Woodstock as a possible destination for a relocating team at some point down the road. There are 2 games listed that currently are missing an opponent. It is nice to see some progress being made
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

They are missing 2 of the 4 Strathroy preseason games. The one missing opponent is Strathroy at Listowel on August 24. They are missing Strathroy's first preseason game Monday, August 20 at 7:30 vs Komoka the the Gemini.
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

coachFloyd wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 am an OHL scout keen to go to the GOJHL showcase is doing nothing but showing everybody there he's an OHL scout
There are drafted players who are playing in the GOJHL, most teams keep an eye on their drafted players.

BUT, your missing the point. A scout emailed the league seeking information about its players, the league didnt even bother to email them back. What kind of league does that? It seems to mismanaged and technology poor. They still have 3/4 year old articles up on their website, can't email back scouts seeing information. How can they complain about the OHF if they can't even get their own backyard in order.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

They have this long running fued with the OHA Both sides have an agendas Niether side is winning.
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

RagingBS wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:19 pm They have this long running fued with the OHA Both sides have an agendas Niether side is winning.
And as always, the players suffer.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

HockeyDad1 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:46 pm
There are drafted players who are playing in the GOJHL, most teams keep an eye on their drafted players.

BUT, your missing the point. A scout emailed the league seeking information about its players, the league didnt even bother to email them back. What kind of league does that? It seems to mismanaged and technology poor. They still have 3/4 year old articles up on their website, can't email back scouts seeing information. How can they complain about the OHF if they can't even get their own backyard in order.
can't argue that the league needs to be run better ( and I never said otherwise )

I know there is drafted players in the GOJHL...if they're on the radar then they would have just finished up at OHL camp the previous week and would have been assessed there... teams do keep an eye on draft picks...scouts will scout new players, coaching staff/ management will follow progress on draft picks

over 150 college scouts registered at last years showcase ( mostly D3 )...that's not going to change...the ice is booked, all that remains to be seen is if there is 15 teams in attendance or 25
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

coachFloyd wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:43 am

can't argue that the league needs to be run better ( and I never said otherwise )

I know there is drafted players in the GOJHL...if they're on the radar then they would have just finished up at OHL camp the previous week and would have been assessed there... teams do keep an eye on draft picks...scouts will scout new players, coaching staff/ management will follow progress on draft picks

over 150 college scouts registered at last years showcase ( mostly D3 )...that's not going to change...the ice is booked, all that remains to be seen is if there is 15 teams in attendance or 25
I get that, I just didn't get the antagonistic response saying no OHL scouts will be there.

My son was an OHL draft pic, his first point of contact with the team after camp was at the showcase. There were other OHL guys to talk to their kids as well. Saying there are no OHL scouts at the Showcase is silly, your talking in absolutes.

Like I said, there's no doubt that it will happen, but its a joke that the schedule isn't out for scouts now. We complain that not enough scouts watch and our kids don't get D1 scholarships, but we do nothing to help the scouts watch games. We can't even get them a schedule within a reasonable time period. My kid played in the Alliance, they're Sept 28th showcase schedule has been out for 2 weeks.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Scouts have "Hockey TV" to refer to at anytime to review almost any game in Junior A and B! Although the games at the GOJHL showcase last year were not televised/available. Not sure why?
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

HockeyDad1 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:18 pm
coachFloyd wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:43 am

I get that, I just didn't get the antagonistic response saying no OHL scouts will be there.

My son was an OHL draft pic, his first point of contact with the team after camp was at the showcase. There were other OHL guys to talk to their kids as well. Saying there are no OHL scouts at the Showcase is silly, your talking in absolutes.

Like I said, there's no doubt that it will happen, but its a joke that the schedule isn't out for scouts now. We complain that not enough scouts watch and our kids don't get D1 scholarships, but we do nothing to help the scouts watch games. We can't even get them a schedule within a reasonable time period. My kid played in the Alliance, they're Sept 28th showcase schedule has been out for 2 weeks.
I never said that there were no scouts at the showcase...I just questioned the usefulness of it
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

I think its a great way to check out/gauge the new young talent fresh on the seen that (showcase) weekend. See how they react to the Junior B environment pace, plus or minus the few OHL picks/vets that may not be sent down yet. Then they can compare to how the new young talent as developed through the mid to end of season.
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

coachFloyd wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:15 pm I never said that there were no scouts at the showcase...I just questioned the usefulness of it
You interjected suggesting it was a waste and to go back to Minor Midget games. No thought process towards the development aspects.
coachFloyd wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:43 aman OHL scout keen to go to the GOJHL showcase is doing nothing but showing everybody there he's an OHL scout
So there's no usefulness in starting a process with regards to drafted players? My son had a long meeting and a plan built for him to get better at this showcase. Him and the scout talked for at least 45 minutes, came away knowing exactly what the expectations were. There's no usefulness in seeing the 16 year olds who cracked Jr B rosters who were unsigned? That's scouting isn't it.

You can question the usefulness, but OHL teams seem to keep going, perhaps they know what they are doing? There's many reasons for going to a showcase if you take the time to think about it.
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

Love our game wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:30 pm I think its a great way to check out/gauge the new young talent fresh on the seen that (showcase) weekend. See how they react to the Junior B environment pace, plus or minus the few OHL picks/vets that may not be sent down yet. Then they can compare to how the new young talent as developed through the mid to end of season.
agreed, plus the fact that the scouts keep going (when they have a schedule), so obviously they see value in it, so who are we to say they are waiting their time? If we were scouting expects, we'd be scouting.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

I think all the hockey gods outside of the GO walls know that there is a ton of talent in the GO and that is why its so well
scouted, more than the general public would realize!
HockeyDad1

Post by HockeyDad1 »

Love our game wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:40 pm I think all the hockey gods outside of the GO walls know that there is a ton of talent in the GO and that is why its so well
all the more reason the league's management should support the players and put them in the best position to succeed.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

Not really sure how they run their administration overall. But it does appear that they could maybe use a bit of guidance in terms of administrative support, media promotion, etc.
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

Love our game wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:40 pm I think all the hockey gods outside of the GO walls know that there is a ton of talent in the GO and that is why its so well
Other than some rare diamonds in the rough who moved up to the O, how many players from the GOJHL went up to the O or got NCAA scholarships. While this was a development league in the past, it is filled mostly with undrafted midgets or players coming back from the O especially with Caledonia system. With so many great players in the pipeline coming up from midget ( full year one sport training), they bring up a kid as young as they can and then spit him out if he does not shine. There is always an ample supply of young players coming up from midget or from Europe so they don't really need Junior B as they did in the past.

I am surprised by the comments on scouting the showcase. I went last year and most of the teams are still working on their lineups rather than focussing on showing off the younger players. It was still a great event but not so sure it is a great scouting event. I see a lot of Junior B kids going on to CIAU teams after their eligibility but not a lot going to the NCAA
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

The Jr A leagues are all aware that SW Ontario is deep in talent. The GOJHL becomes the beneficiary of that talent due to the OHA failure to provide Jr A hockey west of the GTA. It isn't just OHL and NCAA scouts watching the league, but the serious scouting is done later. For all intensive purposes this showcase is really more for players to learn about some of the unigue rules the league has like the National Anthem rule, and the chin strap rule. As I recall from the times I attended in past seasons rookies are handed numerous misconducts and don't see much ice compared to sophomores and players that maybe going to JrC by the end of September when the OHL trims their rosters.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Looks like some teams are letting their fans in on their tentative home opener date but with no listed opponent. Exibtion games are being played but so far only the non Inc teams are maintaining their data on Pointstreak. The OHA needs to appoint a competent director to manage the affairs of this league. It seems like their is no real leadership to keep league business on track. The OJHL and PJHL looks like they are on track and this is a problem unique to the GOJHL