GOJHL AGM Today

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Hockeylover321

Re: GOJHL AGM Today

Post by Hockeylover321 »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:12 pm Schedule for the Eastern Conference of the GOJHL.Inc. has been issued to teams in that Division.
Has anyone got the schedules that they can post?
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

How many game schedule are we lookng at? Are there interlocking games other than the showcase?
drafty

Post by drafty »

So, has the GOJHL Inc. basically kicked the 10 other teams out of the GOJHL? I don't understand how that is possible.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

They tried. OHA shut it down though. Not sure what happens now.
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

This is not becoming a S$%tshow. It has been one for some time now.
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

Probably an uninformed question, but I ask it anyhow.........could the OHA not take this all by the horns and provide a standardized fee and operating structure that every team would need to adhere to? Everyone would be on the same playing field.
Flyers1

Post by Flyers1 »

When are they ever gonna release the GOJHL schedule and what is this mess all about with the OHA
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

I would question who actually runs the league, the OHA or GOJHL Inc. Presumably the GOJHL has to follow the rules set out by Hockey Canada and the OHA. I would think this league split would need to be endorsed by the governing bodies for both groups to remain in Hockey Canada and appropriate announcements would be made. I am not sure how one group of 15 owners can kick a group 10 out or just decide to write a schedule to exclude the teams the teams they don't like. The only option I see would be for the group that is offside with the OHA mandate to form their own outlaw league or to do what the OJHL teams did where one group of owners buys out the other group to form a smaller league. Either way it's the players and fans that are going to pay the price at the end of the day
Jumpin

Post by Jumpin »

Wow!! How do few guys that want to take over hockey ever get this far. Greed!!! Greed and more greed!!! What’s worse is that the falcons and warriors are on their side. Falcon true red coats would turn over in their graves. What are they thinking or not?? The city of St Catharines and Stratford will be infuriated when they find out what these boards are up to. What a mess!!! We saw board members yesterday and they said they are ready to play in an independent league outside of OHA and Hockey Canada. We were shocked!!! The fans and leaders in these communities need to step up and take back these 2 once great organizations before its to late. Time will tell this tail.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

The GO Schedule will be out this week, should help clear up some things!
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

So if this ends up going where it looks like it is and the 15 stand on their own as an independant outlaw league. Outside OHA, OHF and HC. Just how many players will stay and play or bolt to HC sanctioned teams?
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

This chaos is so disheartening I must say. As part of a community based team who bust their butts to draw people to the rink and knock on many doors to get sponsors to help pay the bills, it is sad to see some trying to operate their teams on the backs of their players. We pride ourselves on treating our players well and that is why many have chosen to play here over other teams but if this league is going rogue it is going to be a real struggle to continue to put a quality product on the ice.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Outlaw league teams won't have any OHL affiliates because participation with an outlaw league causes a ban from any sanctioned hockey Canada league for 1 year before they can re-apply for membership. Same goes for their ability to call players up from jrc or minor hockey.. players are usually only banned one season however bench staff, referees are usually multiple seasons, GMs and owners often become permanently blacklisted. If they do officially go outlaw the good news for the players is that they become free agents since these teams will be outside hockey Canada, no one will own their hockey Canada playing rights. I would expect several to exercise that option, however many maybe left with nowhere else to play.
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

Then I would have to think that any kid that has been drafted by the OHL would leave the outlaw organization. They risk to much staying in an unsanctioned league.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

They would have no choice. The OHL team wouldn't be able to have access to them so they would be reassigned elsewhere.i
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

Jumpin wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:38 am Wow!! How do few guys that want to take over hockey ever get this far. Greed!!! Greed and more greed!!! What’s worse is that the falcons and warriors are on their side. Falcon true red coats would turn over in their graves. What are they thinking or not?? The city of St Catharines and Stratford will be infuriated when they find out what these boards are up to. What a mess!!! We saw board members yesterday and they said they are ready to play in an independent league outside of OHA and Hockey Canada. We were shocked!!! The fans and leaders in these communities need to step up and take back these 2 once great organizations before its to late. Time will tell this tail.
Greed? I am not sure how that applies to any Junior b franchise for any of the owners. If anyone thinks that they are going to make money on Junior B, I have some swampland in Wainfleet to sell you. From my standpoint , I would suggest the rogue teams are the minority as they want to change the process that has been in place for some time. From what I heard the rule was the GOJHL teams (Inc) are ones who paid their fees as has been the process for years. The teams that did not ( majority of the shoe) did not pay their GOJHL fees . They did this because of the fee structure between the two (OHA) . I don't blame these owners as the majority of the teams in the shoe are barely scraping buy and they need the money to cover their costs.The players will still pay their full fees but the money goes to the owners not a reduction in player fees.

PS I've always thought the Falcons were a non-profit charity unlike the majority of privately owned teams
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Its hard to figure out why the OHA is supporting such shaky and unstable franchises such as Buffalo, Pelham, Brampton, Brantford, Thorold and not support long standing solid operations such as Waterloo, Sarnia, Chatham, Listowel,Leamington, Stratford, Elmira, St.Catharines, Kitchener and so on.

Its also head scratching when you try and figure out why Niagara Falls would stay in the Shoe Conference. Maybe its because their owner figures he now can win the Horseshoe Conference with St. Catharines and Caledonia gone.
Jumpin

Post by Jumpin »

It’s not head scratching at all. The Ten teams which is rumoured to have grown to 14 that refuse to leave the OHA,OHF,and HC. The others do not want to leave but want it their own way. A few guys want to control hockey. The word is the OHA put out a final letter and either they a in the OHA or they can choose to leave. Follow the rules or leave. So the big question is will the GOJHL Inc leave or not and who will stay with them. Has anyone seen the letter the OHA sent out?? That might clear up a lot.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Who are the other 4 that have decided against going Outlaw?
Jumpin

Post by Jumpin »

Cambridge, Strathroy, St Mary’s and Elmira are the team rumoured to refuse to leave the OHA.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I've been asked to state that the rumours that Inc is going outlaw and independent are false. They have no intentions of leaving the OHA, OHF or Hockey Canada.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
coachFloyd

Post by coachFloyd »

3 sides to every story, OHA's, GOJHL INC. and the truth

About time OHF and HC step in and clean this on going mess up
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

But is the OHA OK with the new setup ?
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

If as noted the Inc do not want to leave the OHA then I can only assume the discussed realignment will not happen.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

coachFloyd wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:32 am 3 sides to every story, OHA's, GOJHL INC. and the truth

About time OHF and HC step in and clean this on going mess up
HC needs to get involved with the OHF. Players are less that 4 weeks away from reporting to training camps and in many cases are unsure of their team's status. To date the OHA has not announced a second league to house or created a separate division for the GOJHL Inc teams that are refusing to play the non fee collecting teams that are in the GOJHL or simply giving Inc an ultimatum. You are either in or out. If you are out then your signed and committed players deserve the opportunity to find a place to play for the 2018/19 season. Whether that be a release or a loan, the players deserve to have time to make sure they have a good place to go. A firm statement needs to be made. I do know that several players and agents are very concerned about this and some rightfully so are making contingency plans incase this squabble isn't resolved. The OHA (or someone higher up in the food chain) needs to make a public final ruling on this by the end of the week.
Love our game

Post by Love our game »

There are a few GO players that are getting anxious to know where their fate lies for sure! Other leagues are aware of this and seem to be trying to scoop up players caught in the hush, hush of it all. Some GO teams haven't even sent out their Main Camp dates yet?
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

Jumpin wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:06 pm It’s not head scratching at all. The Ten teams which is rumoured to have grown to 14 that refuse to leave the OHA,OHF,and HC. The others do not want to leave but want it their own way. A few guys want to control hockey. The word is the OHA put out a final letter and either they a in the OHA or they can choose to leave. Follow the rules or leave. So the big question is will the GOJHL Inc leave or not and who will stay with them. Has anyone seen the letter the OHA sent out?? That might clear up a lot.
All teams remain under the OHA as long as they pay their OHA fees which they all have. The issue is that three teams in the shoe did not pay their GOJHL fees last year but still received the privileges of playing in the GOJHL. It appears that this should have been dealt with last year as other teams ( mostly in the Shoe) want the same deal as the three non-payers. As a result, the GOJHL could not allow the number of non-payers to grow and gave a deadline for all teams to pay their GOJHL fees or do not get the privilege of playing in the GOJHL teams. While my home team appears to have chosen not to pay and therefore are not in the "GOJHL Inc" group, it was the choice of the franchise not to pay. Going forward there will be two separate groups .. one the payers who get the privilege of the GOJHL and the non-payers who will play under the OHA. In the end the winners of the two divisions paly for the Sutherland. This seems fair to all involved as those who don't value the GOJHL don't have to pay their GOJHL fees but get a league under the OHA. The GOJHL teams still pay their OHA fees but get whatever additional privileges this fee gets them.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

oldtymer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:52 am All teams remain under the OHA as long as they pay their OHA fees which they all have. The issue is that three teams in the shoe did not pay their GOJHL fees last year but still received the privileges of playing in the GOJHL. It appears that this should have been dealt with last year as other teams ( mostly in the Shoe) want the same deal as the three non-payers. As a result, the GOJHL could not allow the number of non-payers to grow and gave a deadline for all teams to pay their GOJHL fees or do not get the privilege of playing in the GOJHL teams. While my home team appears to have chosen not to pay and therefore are not in the "GOJHL Inc" group, it was the choice of the franchise not to pay. Going forward there will be two separate groups .. one the payers who get the privilege of the GOJHL and the non-payers who will play under the OHA. In the end the winners of the two divisions paly for the Sutherland. This seems fair to all involved as those who don't value the GOJHL don't have to pay their GOJHL fees but get a league under the OHA. The GOJHL teams still pay their OHA fees but get whatever additional privileges this fee gets them.
Summed it up pretty well.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

ILuvHackey wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:57 am
oldtymer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:52 am All teams remain under the OHA as long as they pay their OHA fees which they all have. The issue is that three teams in the shoe did not pay their GOJHL fees last year but still received the privileges of playing in the GOJHL. It appears that this should have been dealt with last year as other teams ( mostly in the Shoe) want the same deal as the three non-payers. As a result, the GOJHL could not allow the number of non-payers to grow and gave a deadline for all teams to pay their GOJHL fees or do not get the privilege of playing in the GOJHL teams. While my home team appears to have chosen not to pay and therefore are not in the "GOJHL Inc" group, it was the choice of the franchise not to pay. Going forward there will be two separate groups .. one the payers who get the privilege of the GOJHL and the non-payers who will play under the OHA. In the end the winners of the two divisions paly for the Sutherland. This seems fair to all involved as those who don't value the GOJHL don't have to pay their GOJHL fees but get a league under the OHA. The GOJHL teams still pay their OHA fees but get whatever additional privileges this fee gets them.
Summed it up pretty well.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

So there will be 2 leagues or just one? The OHA has already stated that being a member of GOJHL Inc is not a requirement to play in the GOJHL, but GOJHL Inc says they will refuse to play the so called "non-payers". Someone in HC and/or the OHF needs to step up to the plate and decide if the GOJHL is being operated by the OHA or by a select group of teams.

This has festered too long, a final decision is long over due.