OHA JrB GOJHL July 6 letter

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

hockey21

OHA JrB GOJHL July 6 letter

Post by hockey21 »

In summary the July 6 letter below states the following:
1) The GOJHL is an OHA league
2) All OHA Jr B member teams are members of the GOJHL operating under the jurisdiction of the OHA
3) The GOJHL is separate and independent organization and not sanctioned or recognized by the OHA (OHF and Hockey Canada)
4) Participation / membership by any OHA team in the GOJHL is optional and voluntary
5) OHA has no role in GOJHL membership or fee requirements. GOJHL fees are required by the GOJHL and not connected to OHA fees.
6) Until potential new governance is established all properly registered teams will play in the 2018/2019 season

The July 6 letter both answers and raises questions.
Comments are welcomed to help clarify this OHA communication.
Numbers below in parentheses reference the above summary points from the letter. To start, a few questions are listed below:
A) How can the GOJHL both be an OHA league operating under the OHA’s jurisdiction (1), but not be recognized by the OHA (3)?
B) If all OHA Jr B teams are GOJHL members (2), how is membership in the GOJHL optional and voluntary (4)?
C) Is the potential new governance (6) cited only contemplated for implementation after the 2018/2019 season?
D) Even though participation in the GOJHL is optional (4), is GOJHL participation required for OHA Jr B teams to play in the 2018/2019 season (2) (6)?
E) If the answer to question E above is yes, would OHA Jr B teams be required to pay the GOJHL fees (5) to the GOJHL to be eligible to participate in OHA Jr B (GOJHL) league play for the 2018/2019 season?
Attachments
OHA JrB GOJHL July letter.jpg
OHA JrB GOJHL July letter.jpg (79.42 KiB) Viewed 15853 times
Last edited by hockey21 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Love our game

Re: OHA JrB GOJHL July 6 letter

Post by Love our game »

How is this an OHL league? Just curious!
hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

OHA not OHL (typo fixed)
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

I've got no answers. I find it a very poorly written letter.
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

There is the GOJHL as an OHA league and then there is the GOJHL Inc. The GOJHL Inc. is basically a members club that is funded on the backs of the players. So the GOJHL as a league is under the OHA. One does not have to be a part of the GOJHL Inc in order to play in the league.
hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

Thank you. That subtle but significant distinction between the 1) OHA's Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League (GOJHL) and 2) GOJHL Inc. does really answer most of the questions. A few follow-up questions please:
1) Does the $750 GOJHL Player Assessment fee go to the OHA's GOJHL or GOJHL Inc.?
2) What is the purpose of GOJHL Inc. and why would / do teams choose to become members if it is voluntary and optional?
3) What is the impact if some, but not all, OHA Jr B teams affiliate with GOJHL Inc.?
Letterkenny68

Post by Letterkenny68 »

The $750 per player goes to the GOJHL Inc. NOT the OHA.
So if 24 teams were members off the GOJHL Inc and each team had 20 players then the collected amount would be $360,000.00 yearly.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Which team(s) are not members of GOJHL Inc?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Most likely the 3 that didn't pay their GOJHL fees and were voted out.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

OK but if GOJHL Inc is not sanctioned or recognized by Hockey Canada, the OHF or OHA then how can they determine or legally limit membership in the Greater Ontario Hockey League, an entity that is sanctioned by all 3. When players pay the $750 fee to GOJHL Inc, are there some tangible benefits that the players receive of are they just subsidizing or reimbursing their team's membership in the club?
HockeyGod

Post by HockeyGod »

I was wondering what it cost to run this league for a season.The league takes in $360.000 a season,sure you pay insurance, the refs, showcase weekend etc. Not someone new to this league I have watched for it for 40yrs. The league hasn't changed much but hasn't gotten better if anything it seems to be getting weaker each year.The better players are leaving to get noticed because this league is doing NOTHING to help keep them here,guess this league doesn't care.I would think if the people running this league would put their minds together maybe they could come up with a fix for this problem.I've watched some games in the last couple yrs when a team wanted to protest a game over some thing the refs missed or didn't do their job,so now to protest you have to put a 5 hundred bill in with it I guess this is so teams don't protest everything.The league charges this fee to go back and look at the video of the game,$500.00 what taking 20 mins of your time a big deal maybe doing this would be a learning tool and maybe make things better out of it.The refs in this league are bad but its bad also in other leagues so you cant fix that.I think this league has a lot of work to do to be a stronger league in whole,with more leagues pooping up its going to get tough,with the local teams the talent pool is getting smaller every year.The league needs to be more solid and come up with a way to attract more talent to come and play in this league and to keep players from leaving
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

The fee to protest is to the OHA, not the GOJHL, and referees are OHA, not GOJHL.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

Is this website run by 1) the OHA GOJHL league or 2) GOJHL Inc.?
http://pointstreaksites.com/view/gojhl/2018-2019

Is this form that references the $750 player fee from 1) the OHA GOJHL league or 2) GOJHL Inc.?

GOJHL Player Assessment Refund Form.JPG
GOJHL Player Assessment Refund Form.JPG (59.65 KiB) Viewed 15420 times
HockeyGod

Post by HockeyGod »

Thanks for clearing up some issues I had blamed the league for and I was wrong doing so (refs and protest games) so the blame should go on the OHA which is a waste of time.Their is still other issues the league needs to fix for the future of this league.