Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Marcie

SHOULD WE HAVE A NEW PLAYOFF FORMAT?

Post by Marcie »

http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2018 ... ff-format/

Your thoughts, as always, are welcomed.
SugarKing

Re: SHOULD WE HAVE A NEW PLAYOFF FORMAT?

Post by SugarKing »

Marcie wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:28 pm http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2018 ... ff-format/

Your thoughts, as always, are welcomed.
[/

Not a bad article, but not sure it’s fair to force a low budget, less than competitive team to have to take an expensive bus trip. Example, if Leamington/Lasalle finish first next season, and buffalo finishes last, you expect buffalo to travel 4 1/2 hours each way to lose 15-0? The problem seems more prevelant in the Golden Horseshoe. That’s where you see one team above all. No team competes with the Corvairs, even though they haven’t beaten a league champ from another conference in the last two seasons. The only teams exposed in the Sutherland Cup were Caledonia and ESK. The Kings lost 8 games in a row to finish the season, and Caledonia didn’t even put up a fight against Listowel, while London lost in 6. 4 out of those games being 1 goal games. If you want more parity, it’s time to get rid of teams. It’s unfortunate, but that’s how you’ll get better teams near the bottom. Komoka/Strathroy, Pelham/Fort Erie, Guelph(Cambridge(/Brantford. Combine the remaining teams and make it a two conference league. That would solve the Suthlerland Cup issue as well. Winning percentage/Goals for and against would have no bearing on what happens in the Sutherland Cup. The two best teams, with no second guessing the format.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I know this would be expensive bus rides at times, but I think having the top 16 teams overall make the playoffs would be a great format. 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc. would be a good way to do the match ups.

Team's could try different ways to raise money for the bus trips in the playoffs, or even have the players each put a bit of money in. Just a thought, I know it won't happen. lol
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Unless the teams compete against each other via inter-division on a regular basis you would not necessarily get an accurate ranking of the top sixteen teams. Some team that plays in a weaker division may end up being ranked higher than a team that competes in a more-balanced division and therefore draw a potentially weaker seed for their playoff opponent. No system will ever be perfect but I have never been a fan of the wild card system. I do agree that the current structure needs to change though. How, is anyone's guess.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

I'd just like to see the league go to two conference format.

Currently there are 26 teams. More than likely a couple could be out if the rumors are true. SO for sake of an argument let's say 22.

If you do two conferences, that means 8 teams are out of the playoffs each year. Makes it that much harder to make the playoffs and would give a better playoff experience.

Currently the Midwest - every team makes it. It used to be like that in the Golden until Buffalo came back. It's kinda weak to just give everyone a pass. Doesn't make teams work for anything -- they get their 4 playoff games and likely sell off and make themselves worse in a matchup against the top teams.

That being said, at junior hockey, it will always have blowouts early in the playoffs. Even the OHL has it. Because of the quick cycles of players coming and going, there will always be a huge divide between contenders and pretenders.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

If you want to fix the Midwest..bring in Woodstock!! Great community support and a great facility that would work for Junior B!
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

FrozenPonds wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 am If you want to fix the Midwest..bring in Woodstock!! Great community support and a great facility that would work for Junior B!
I agree -- that's a place I can see supporting a B franchise well.

A lot of people say Ayr, but I feel like a lot of those Centennials fans are also Cambridge Winterhawks fans, so that might not work as well.