Changes in Sarnia

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Changes in Sarnia

Post by RocketGirl »

Sarnia is looking for a new coach as Mark Davis has stepped down. GM Bob Williamson has also stepped down, but will remain a Director on the Board. Tom Norris is taking over as GM and Bob Farlow is Director of Hockey Operations.

http://blackburnnews.com/sarnia/sarni ... -coach/
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Blades

Re: Changes in Sarnia

Post by Blades »

Interesting.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

That's surprising. They had a really good season. I don't think you can blame anyone for the first round loss, St.Thomas just wanted those games more.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

hmmmmm just think about how many teams Mark Davis has been with, has to be a reason why he keeps moving.
End of a era in Leamington
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

flyers2011 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:25 am hmmmmm just think about how many teams Mark Davis has been with, has to be a reason why he keeps moving.
I would think there are also a few reasons why he has coached as long as he has. If he wants to coach he would still be an upgrade to a few teams
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Port hockey1 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 pm That's surprising. They had a really good season. I don't think you can blame anyone for the first round loss, St.Thomas just wanted those games more.
Cant blame anyone? Why would you allow the other team to want in more in the playoffs?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLfan1 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:19 pm
Port hockey1 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 pm That's surprising. They had a really good season. I don't think you can blame anyone for the first round loss, St.Thomas just wanted those games more.
Cant blame anyone? Why would you allow the other team to want in more in the playoffs?
Someone has to lose the series. lol
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Fact is Mark Davis hasn't spent more than 3 seasons with a team. This was his 3rd season.....
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
HockeyGod

Post by HockeyGod »

This in response to the person that stated St Thomas just wanted those games more.Ok let me clue you what happened.St Thomas wins first 2 games then Sarnia wins the third and things seem to be going their way,so the fourth game Sarnia gets 2 players for warmup violation.Sarnias best D and top point man in the box,here is the kicker for what picking up their helments before the anthem was over.Then 1min and 42 seconds they get called for a head check that the ref didn't even see,he heard it so by the time the players exit the box their down 3 goals.Sarnia fights back to tie it but then give up a bad goal and the rest is history.Sarnia thought about protesting the game but that would require 500 bucks to go with the protest.Mark may still have had a job had they done it.How this league is run I bet they don't even know about what happen.I guess that night we had a NHL ref and we didn't even know it,no one in the building knew what was being called.I would love to print this clowns name here but I wont.I can say I have watched this league for 40 yrs and never seen it called,it took the wind out of Sarnias sails that's for sure,best of luck to the Stars.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

http://www.theobserver.ca/2015/07/16/ma ... aching-gig
this was 3 years ago, lets see if Mr Davis keeps his word and that was it for him.
End of a era in Leamington
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

HockeyGod wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:01 am This in response to the person that stated St Thomas just wanted those games more.Ok let me clue you what happened.St Thomas wins first 2 games then Sarnia wins the third and things seem to be going their way,so the fourth game Sarnia gets 2 players for warmup violation.Sarnias best D and top point man in the box,here is the kicker for what picking up their helments before the anthem was over.Then 1min and 42 seconds they get called for a head check that the ref didn't even see,he heard it so by the time the players exit the box their down 3 goals.Sarnia fights back to tie it but then give up a bad goal and the rest is history.Sarnia thought about protesting the game but that would require 500 bucks to go with the protest.Mark may still have had a job had they done it.How this league is run I bet they don't even know about what happen.I guess that night we had a NHL ref and we didn't even know it,no one in the building knew what was being called.I would love to print this clowns name here but I wont.I can say I have watched this league for 40 yrs and never seen it called,it took the wind out of Sarnias sails that's for sure,best of luck to the Stars.
A lot can change in 3 years, several teams in this conference alone have had 3 head coaches in the last 3 years. He would be a serious upgrade to a few benches now.

Most referees would never have called the NA M100 in a playoff game let alone a pivotal one. I have spoken with a couple of veteran refs who both concur, after all the referees do not generally want to be a deciding factor in a game let alone a series. There apparently was a memo distributed by the OHA director of officiating to all OHA officials citing problems with compliance in the OJHL. This was an unfortunate incident that did affect the outcome of Game 4 and quite possibly this series. Mark Davis failed to get his players to forget about what happened in St Thomas. They got shafted and the players know it. Yes it is a rule but in playoffs questionable calls like this should never occur because playoffs should be about the best team advancing, not the one that got the favourable calls. Would St Thomas have still won this series without these calls? We will never know. Will another playoff game happen this year with multiple M100 calls to start the game due to the NA rule? I highly doubt it. Whether they choose to admit it or not, the league is embarrassed by what has happened in this series and don't want to see it repeated. Should Sarnia have protested? There would be no point since you can't appeal a referees call on the ice and even if you could there is no league that will rule against its game officials. That said, don't be surprised if these two referees don't happen to get scheduled for another pivotal game if any at all. No one wants to see this repeated.

After all is said and done it maybe time for the OHA to revisit the impact this rule can and has had. Should teams be eliminated because a player or two reached for a helmet before the last note was played? Imagine this happening in game 7. I guess there is a reason this rule has never caught on outside the OHA.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I understand why Sarnia fans are upset. But that was only one game. The Stars had to win four to take that series, and now they have a 2-1 lead on the Flyers. So while I understand why the fans are upset, I still don't think that's the reason St.Thomas won that series.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

I don't disagree Port, and St Thomas did work hard for their 4 wins. Sarnia lost twice at home. Sarnia dug themselves a hole losing the first 2 games and appeared to be digging their way out in game 3. Had Sarnia won game 4 the series is tied, but losing heavily relied upon players for a questionable infractions had an impact on that game and the result was Sarnia now down 3 games to 1. Did it affect the outcome of the series as a whole? There is no way to know for sure, but it definitely made the any comeback attempt more challenging. It is like calling a teams top player for a mouthguard violation in overtime, sure its a rule but........this is playoffs.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

RagingBS wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:46 pmHad Sarnia won game 4 the series is tied, but losing heavily relied upon players for a questionable infractions had an impact on that game and the result was Sarnia now down 3 games to 1.
Yes they sat in the box for 10 minutes, and St Thomas scored 3 goals while they were in there, but they had 50 other minutes to affect the outcome of that game. In fact, Sarnia fought back to tie that game 4-4.

I've said it before, winners overcome adversity and losers make excuses.
Queen of the GOJHL

OffTheRecord

Post by OffTheRecord »

38 other players managed to keep still during the whole anthem.

If you don't want those "questionable" penalties called, don't move during the anthem.
24flinching

Post by 24flinching »

In all fairness the anthem singer did an unexpected extended ending. Threw me off too. The refs definitely carried on their hunger for power in the first period of that game as well. Pivotal point in the series but not the only factor. Sarnia couldn’t stay disciplined and St Thomas’ top line was all the offence that was needed.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

As noted at the beginning of the post "I don't disagree Port, and St Thomas did work hard for their 4 wins".

That would also include this game as it is one of the 4 that St Thomas won.

And now for the real point of the posting
" Did it affect the outcome of the series as a whole? There is no way to know for sure, but it definitely made the any comeback attempt more challenging. It is like calling a teams top player for a mouthguard violation in overtime, sure its a rule but........this is playoffs."

Maybe if we limit the paragraphs to one or two lines comprehension wont be so difficult

Rather than taking segments out of context next time try to read and understand the entire post first before assuming
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Sarnia announces Derek Di Muzio as new head coach

http://blackburnnews.com/sarnia/sarnia- ... ead-coach/