Playoff Scheduling

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Beehive

Playoff Scheduling

Post by Beehive »

I was looking at the schedules for the quarter finals and it looks like Caledonia will have almost swept Fort Erie and be resting up while the other three series will be really just getting under way. How can there be such a discrepancy in start times of these series? Available ice times can't be used as a reason as most of the minor hockey programs are done for the year. Not that they will need it but now the Corvairs will have a fairly long rest before the next series begins while the other teams are fighting it out. By the way, I meant no disrespect to Fort Erie but they are just cannon fodder for the Corvairs.
ILuvHackey

Re: Playoff Scheduling

Post by ILuvHackey »

The team GMs make the schedules with their serial rival GM. League doesn't have much say other than telling them when they can start and when they have to be done by.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Most likely it's been scheduled this way for a certain reason that you have already pointed out.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Like Hackey said the GMS are ones who create the schedules league only says when it can start and end. First round can start Feb 27 like Caledonia did and has to be done by March 12.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Or in this case over by March 3. What a terrific system.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Beehive wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:32 pm Or in this case over by March 3. What a terrific system.
I think Fort Erie has no problem with it. Cannot wait for it to be over
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

For the sheer lack of competition it will be a blessing that it will be over quickly for the Meteors. I cannot understand that if Caledonia and Fort Erie are starting their series so soon why the other groups do not follow suit. It seems that it will put them at a real disadvantage for the next round in starting this series so late.
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

I don't think this is a huge disadvantage for the other teams which are spreading out the games in their series. This may also turn out not to be an advantage for Caledonia as they will essentially be getting a bye week, might be great, might not. I remember years ago when the top seed could choose to take a bye week or play the lowest seed and the Canucks decided to play instead of having the bye. The bottom line is that all teams have a two week period in which to complete a series. Caledonia and Fort Erie agreed to play their games as early as they could taking into account on which nights they usually play their home games. Not a big deal at all.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Only time will tell I suppose. I guess that we will just have to wait and see how it play's out.
Hattrick73

Post by Hattrick73 »

zantimisfit wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:09 am I don't think this is a huge disadvantage for the other teams which are spreading out the games in their series. This may also turn out not to be an advantage for Caledonia as they will essentially be getting a bye week, might be great, might not. I remember years ago when the top seed could choose to take a bye week or play the lowest seed and the Canucks decided to play instead of having the bye. The bottom line is that all teams have a two week period in which to complete a series. Caledonia and Fort Erie agreed to play their games as early as they could taking into account on which nights they usually play their home games. Not a big deal at all.
Im more with you on this point. Sitting before the series for best part of a week like St Kitts or sitting between round 1 and 2 for a week, Either /or...its a gamble as to what is better so i think its personal preference of the 2 teams making the schedules for their series. I think for injury sake having the week between playoff series is better but that leads to starting round 2 cold. Look at the past bunch of years where Caledonia has had a cake walk in the first round being top seed in the Shoe and got it over with 4 straight early within the 2 weeks....2nd round they have dropped game one or been a tight game one a couple times cuz they are cold.....not incl the year they went 20-0 to win the cup over London to win the Cup obviously :P

It seems like Beehive is just looking for a reason to slight Caledonia.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

I can assure you that I do not have any horse in the race. If I was going to be critical of the Corvairs believe me you would know about it and I would feel the same if it were two different teams in the same situation. Just found the scheduling situation a little cloudy but thanks for clearing that up.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I don't believe you. I think you were trying to kick start some kind of action on this forum. Everyone knows if you start controversy between a team like Caledonia. You usually get lots of traffic on this forum. It seems to have worked.I don't believe you on the scheduling thing either.
Beehive you follow JR-C hockey. This is very common in JR-C hockey you should know this.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

What do you mean that you don't believe me? I was being totally sincere.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

If Caledonia has key players that are injured, I see why they wanted it this way. But it could go either way. They could look great with the extra rest, or they might be a little off their game from sitting.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102