Playoffs are just around the corner

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Playoffs are just around the corner

Post by Port hockey1 »

The top 5 seeds are pretty much locked in place. Caledonia, St.Catharines, Ancaster, Niagara Falls, & Thorold. But there's a battle for 6th spot that will come down the last two games of the season for Pelham & Welland. Pelham has a one point lead over Welland, both teams have two games left. Welland has easier games(Niagara Falls, Fort Erie), so they'll likely get at least a pair of points. Pelham has to face Caledonia, twice. So they'll have a hard time getting any of the 4 points that are up for grabs. Pelham's been a lot better this year though. So you never know. Welland did just lose to Buffalo...

I think getting 6th will be important, as it's the difference between playing St.Catharines or Ancaster. St.Catharines looks really good this year, so a much younger Ancaster squad would be the better opponent.

With St.Catharines taking a bit of a page out of Caledonia's book(Adding chl talent), there should be some great playoff hockey this year. I don't think Niagara Falls or Ancaster will make it to the final. So we should be in for an epic series. I think the Falcons might take Caledonia out this year.

Thorold has had a great season considering the situation they were in. Much better than I expected. Was nice to see Pelham ice a winning team this year too.

And lastly, what a huge improvement from Buffalo this year. They've only won 2 games, but the talent is night & day compared to last season. No 20, or 28 goal losses this season. Way to go Buffalo!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
FrozenPonds

Re: Playoffs are just around the corner

Post by FrozenPonds »

Still not competitive enough in my opinion. Sure they are not losing by 15+ everynight but even competirive teams will win more than 2 games a year.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

From talking to players pelham wants st catherines instead of ancaster because they cant match ancasters speed. Welland wants to play ancaster from the sounds of it. St catherines is gonna have a tough time getting through to the final in my opinion. Pelham has shown signs that they can compete with St. Kitts (im not saying Pelham will win the series but maybe one game) but at the very least it will be a physical series that could wear St. Kitts down. Then Second round there gonna have to go through a young Ancaster team which is dangerous and from talking with people from st Kitts they are worried about Ancaster. Gonna be some interesting playoff series at the least
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 pm From talking to players pelham wants st catherines instead of ancaster because they cant match ancasters speed. Welland wants to play ancaster from the sounds of it. St catherines is gonna have a tough time getting through to the final in my opinion. Pelham has shown signs that they can compete with St. Kitts (im not saying Pelham will win the series but maybe one game) but at the very least it will be a physical series that could wear St. Kitts down. Then Second round there gonna have to go through a young Ancaster team which is dangerous and from talking with people from st Kitts they are worried about Ancaster. Gonna be some interesting playoff series at the least
I can see why Pelham would want St.Kitts. They're a team that goes through a bit of a struggle every season, including this season. I think Toffolo feels like St.Kitts is the better match up. But that goes all the way back to when Pelham was Port Colborne. They always gave the Falcons everything they could handle in the playoffs. But I feel like this Falcons team is different. Adding those players a few weeks ago, I think puts them on another level.

I didn't really consider Ancaster's speed, so that's a good point. Ancaster has gotten solid goaltending too.
by FrozenPonds » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:59 am

Still not competitive enough in my opinion. Sure they are not losing by 15+ everynight but even competirive teams will win more than 2 games a year.
I can agree with that. I'm just hoping the improvements continue into next year, and that they can win 15-20 games.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
GOJHLHockeyFan3

Post by GOJHLHockeyFan3 »

Hopefully Welland gets Ancaster and Pelham gets St. Kitts as I think those will be competitive compared if they were switched