Strathroy Rockets

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Unhappy fan

Strathroy Rockets

Post by Unhappy fan »

Well here we go yet again Rockets fans, another dismal outing in Komoka. Not sure what it’s going to take to right the ship but it's definitely taking on water. They seem to have completely gone off their game since the game against Lasalle, injuries aren’t helping.
RagingBS

Re: Strathroy Rockets

Post by RagingBS »

Undisciplined penalties aren't helping either, especially when they result in suspensions.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

It was a pretty sweet hit that Stevo threw, the fact that he's considered a repeat offender most likely attributed to his suspension.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

4 games is the minimum for a match penalty so I would think Stevens reputataion was not considered at all. The hit is around the 2:32 mark on the HockeyTV game video, so with approximately 6 minutes left in the 3rd period. He clearly made a late blindside hit well behind the play on an unsuspecting player. The 16 year old player on the receiving end has yet to return to game action. The match penalty was a result of video review as none of the officials saw the incident occur.
jimmorrison

Post by jimmorrison »

Scary to imagine how this team would do without Weir in net.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

jimmorrison wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:21 pm Scary to imagine how this team would do without Weir in net.
I agree, it looked like the Nats made the right decision last season as he struggled to stop pucks. This season he has been solid as a rock in net with great numbers to show for it.
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

Unhappy fan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:37 am Well here we go yet again Rockets fans, another dismal outing in Komoka. Not sure what it’s going to take to right the ship but it's definitely taking on water. They seem to have completely gone off their game since the game against Lasalle, injuries aren’t helping.
The turning point for the Rockets was the Chatham game. They were 5-7 before that game and 0-6-1 since then. Getting beat 14-0 is significant more de-railing than losing 2-0 to Lasalle.
Unhappy fan

Post by Unhappy fan »

Just a thought, let Bondy go back into GM job and let Jason Furlong and Mitch McNeil have a go at it, lord knows couldn’t be any worse off than they are now.
HockeyFan35

Post by HockeyFan35 »

Junior hockey in this area (Strathroy-Caradoc) seems to be taking a nose-dive. Fast.
I’ve always been a fan of junior hockey at all levels. It’s about the kids. Cheers.
Unhappy fan

Post by Unhappy fan »

We have been Rockets fans for many years, and I have to say about the last five to seven years it has slowly been deteriorating. I know I have already stated this but a community owned team does not have deep pockets like the privately owned teams. Whether this is the lynch pin in what’s happening not sure. It would appear since Dan Gibson departed things have gone south very quickly. Just my personal observations.
HockeyFan35

Post by HockeyFan35 »

Unhappy fan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:06 pm We have been Rockets fans for many years, and I have to say about the last five to seven years it has slowly been deteriorating. I know I have already stated this but a community owned team does not have deep pockets like the privately owned teams. Whether this is the lynch pin in what’s happening not sure. It would appear since Dan Gibson departed things have gone south very quickly. Just my personal observations.
It appears that most Jr. B and even C teams have gotten on board with gaining owners or ownership groups. I just made a post about this on the Dundas Blues Jr. C thread in the Junior C forum earlier today. Has their been any movement from the Rockets brass that would suggest the doors being opened for an ownership group to come in and financially revive the team? Having the extra cash also means you can make some big-money moves and roster acquisitions. I saw on their website that they have a board of directors, have any of them expressed interest in ownership?

I still think there is something admirable for the community owned teams, but the market of them is shrinking and fast.

It just seems that the quality in Strathroy is declining which is unfortunate for such a historic franchise. Who wouldn't want this to be their little project? A historic B team, founded in the mid-1960's in a town that greatly supports it. If I had deep pockets, I'd splash some cash on them. I have high hopes for the team going forward.
I’ve always been a fan of junior hockey at all levels. It’s about the kids. Cheers.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

1 point in the last 8 games shouldn't be as acceptable as it appears to be. 2 of the next 3 are against the powerhouse London Nationals so it is going to tough to turn this around. With a powerplay clicking at a dismal 8.89% and sporting the GOJHL's worst penalty kill a turn around may not be on the horizon yet.
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

A tough road ahead for the Rockets for sure.

Can anyone shed some light to why they still play in the old barn when they have a beautiful arena in town. Attendance is a key source of revenue for a community owned team and the old barn seems to be only able to handle 250 or so.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

This comes up at least once a season, why don't you play at the new arena, why do you still play at the old arena, the new arena would be so much better for your fans, etc. The answer is that the Gemini is a piece of crap, that's why we don't play there. The dressing room they built for us was not big enough, it now belongs to the Bluewater Hawks, the seating in the arena is too close together, and our fans don't like the Gemini.

The WMMA can handle more than 250 people, we had 300+ on Sat. The official capacity of the WMMA is 1075.

I hate to admit it, but it seems that my team is the bottom feeder and the team that everyone goes, we're just playing Strathroy, it's an easy 2 points. I know that we have more talent than what's being displayed right now and we're a better team than we're showing, but I'm not sure where the disconnect is. I don't know if it's coaching, management, scouting, or the boys themselves. I have to believe that eventually they'll figure it out and things will get better, but right now it's tough.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

The Gemini Arena is not designed for spectators, the seating is all on one side and not close to the ice surface. It is like being on a practice pad. The ice is bigger than WMMC but that is where any advantage ends. I agree they do have better talent than the past couple of seasons and probably should be competing as a mid pack team, but they seem to have fallen off the rails about a month ago after a very good start.
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

I was at the game vs Chatham on Saturday. As a fan I hated every second that I had to be there. The seating is terrible with only 2 rows on either side. The sound system is worse than a bus terminal. I'm sure there is mold through-out and lets face it, the city is unlikely to put any money in the arena for improvements since they built the new one.

I do have to admit though, that they do have very good french fries.
HockeyFan35

Post by HockeyFan35 »

The next 5 games:

at London
at St Marys
vs London
vs St Marys
at Komoka

A prediction (for fun):

L, W, L, W, W

A 3-2-0 record would good. The two losses would be against London.
HockeyFan35

Post by HockeyFan35 »

RocketGirl wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:41 pm This comes up at least once a season, why don't you play at the new arena, why do you still play at the old arena, the new arena would be so much better for your fans, etc. The answer is that the Gemini is a piece of crap, that's why we don't play there. The dressing room they built for us was not big enough, it now belongs to the Bluewater Hawks, the seating in the arena is too close together, and our fans don't like the Gemini.

The WMMA can handle more than 250 people, we had 300+ on Sat. The official capacity of the WMMA is 1075.

I hate to admit it, but it seems that my team is the bottom feeder and the team that everyone goes, we're just playing Strathroy, it's an easy 2 points. I know that we have more talent than what's being displayed right now and we're a better team than we're showing, but I'm not sure where the disconnect is. I don't know if it's coaching, management, scouting, or the boys themselves. I have to believe that eventually they'll figure it out and things will get better, but right now it's tough.
I follow you on Twitter. You should be honoured by the team or something. You do great work and are a true fan. I’m aware of your dad’s involvement with the Rockets (sorry), but I think you in your own right have done a great job in promoting the Rockets, keeping updated, and keeping people updated about the team. Great stuff and keep up the great work. Cheers.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Thank you. I appreciate it. Not everyone gets my passion and dedication, same with my brother.
We do the things we do to better the organization, not for the recognition or accolades.
Queen of the GOJHL