Cambridge

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

FrozenPonds

Re: Cambridge

Post by FrozenPonds »

Hockey Canada protectionism begins!
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Not a very surprising statement, looks like it will be a 25 team loop this year.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Not surprising at all if you have ever dealt with HC!!

Undertaker...besides Cambridge..what have you heard? Possibly Thorold and Buffalo (hopefully)?
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I had heard somewhere Thorold out this season. Looks like Buffalo plans to be in. Now that HC has issued it's statement itt would be nice to hear from the commissioners office how Cambridge, Thorold and Buffalo decisions impact the league. Without a realignment the Shoe will only have 8 teams if Buffalo is in, Midwest will be 8 and West 9. Another concern would be the loss in anticipated revenues for the league with 46 less players via the $750 GOJHL assessment fee. Will the remaining players see a higher fee of $50-75? Time will tell.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Honestly, I believe the commish will wait until he is given directive from the OHA!

As for the Assessment Fee...I assume that goes to the OHA to cover their continuous inexplicable losses!
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

There are 2 separate fees (or taxes if you prefer) that have been imposed on the players in recent years. There is a $339 fee for the OHA, and then more recently a $750 GOJHL fee. 5 years ago neither of these existed. Both want a cheque directly from the individual player,.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

And I assume that CW gets paid from the majority of these assessment fees? I have heard he makes approximately $60k?? If this is true, he should be doing a helluva lot more than he appears to be doing!!
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Movement from Cambridge Winterhawks roster:

- Matt MacKay (98 Forward and Captain) has announced he's signed with Elmira
- Corson Searles (98 Forward) has signed with Stratford (per Beacon Herald)
- Darcy Redwood (99 Defenseman) has signed with Brantford (per Brant News)

Aged out of Jr. Hockey:

- Jordan Oshowy (96 Defenseman)
- Ryan Shaw (96 Forward) - committed to University of Windsor

Speculation and rumours:

- Liam Hurley (97 Forward) to Kitchener (via Twitter)
- Mason Sinkeldam (99 Defenseman) to Guelph for school reasons (via Twitter)
- Holden Wale (00 Defenseman) full-time to the Soo Greyhounds - WAY TOO GOOD to be back in the GOJ
- Ryan George (98 Forward) to Guelph for school reasons (via Twitter)
- Tyler Harrison (98 Forward) back to the OJ?

Anyone hear anything else? Still so bummed on not being able to head to the Gardens this year on Saturday nights. Debating finding a new GOJ team between Waterloo, Brantford and Kitchener. But none of them have optimal home game nights...
corvairsgf

Post by corvairsgf »

RocketGirl wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:40 pm They haven't even said what's going on with Thorold and Buffalo, so why say anything about Cambridge?
Thorold is back in the league, and so is Buffalo.... Buffalo wanted to fold last year after their like 15th straight loss, and the OHA said no way, Thorold only folded due to some interesting happenings in the background.... Cambridge won't refile with the OHA because Joe is stubborn as hell.... He may even sell the team to someone who'll bring hockey back to cambridge but i dont think the city would want that.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

corvairsgf wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:02 am
RocketGirl wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:40 pm They haven't even said what's going on with Thorold and Buffalo, so why say anything about Cambridge?
Thorold is back in the league, and so is Buffalo.... Buffalo wanted to fold last year after their like 15th straight loss, and the OHA said no way, Thorold only folded due to some interesting happenings in the background.... Cambridge won't refile with the OHA because Joe is stubborn as hell.... He may even sell the team to someone who'll bring hockey back to cambridge but i dont think the city would want that.
Except that's exactly what the city wants -- they want them to take back that icetime
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

If Buffalo wanted to fold, there wouldn't be anything the OHA could do about it as they are sanctioned through USA Hockey. The most the OHA could, and probably would do, would be to thwart any future attempts by the Regals to get back in.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Joe has now filed a lawsuit against the City of Cambridge.

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-st ... w.facebook
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

This will be interesting. Under the Canadian Charter, ,municipalities cannot withhold access to facilities due to non-Hockey Canada sanctioning. Everyone, regardless or colour, creed, religion etc etc etc, will have, according to the Charter, equal access to the usage of facilities. Hockey Canada has tried this on several occasions in the past and were spanked and reminded what the Charter enabled for all!

It will all come down to whether or not, again, Cambridge was in good standing, this time with the city of Cambridge. If there is a history of the city allowing JM et al to pay amounts beyond a deadline and still remain IN good standing, they could have a good case against the city by past practices.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Latest on Cambridge..

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-st ... cambridge/

This situation is a mess and quite honestly, I am trying to figure out how the OHA can legally set the "price" of a franchise after a $5000k application fee. It is NOT their franchise to sell so I do not understand how they feel they can set a price of $150k for something they do not own.