Cambridge situation

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

FrozenPonds

Cambridge situation

Post by FrozenPonds »

The city of Cambridge has suggested the following:

“Any interested groups or potential partners interested in bringing a team to Cambridge must first submit applications through the OHA to ensure appropriate eligibility and sanctioning under the association’s requirements.

Correct me if I am wrong but, whether or not JM is in good standing with the OHA, I firmly believe that this is a decision that the OHA cannot make arbitrarily. Some teams, like the Winter Hawks, Pelham and Ancaster are "owned" entities. Meaning that there has been considerable amount of time and resources in operating them. They have a vested interest financially. This is the way it is in the OHA. They have allowed these businesses to exist.
For all intents and purposes, JM is a franchisee. First and foremost, it is a forgone conclusion that the OHA will not want him back. But in saying that, JM et al should have the opportunity to sell to prospective buyers at a fair and market valued price. That is capitalism and that is the system the OHA has perpetuated when they allow ownership of teams under their jurisdiction! This could get very messy...

Just my five cents on the subject.
ILuvHackey

Re: Cambridge situation

Post by ILuvHackey »

You must be Machado, lol.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

You are the second person to say that..LOL

I just think it is an interesting situation. Not sure the OHA has been down a road quite like this one before.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

I find it interesting as well. Mind you, I am biased to Machado's line of thinking, not his tactics. This whole situation reminds me of a monopoly. Honestly, the OHA has dropped the ball when it comes to reclassification and a primer league.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

I agree with you. I have not seen what he "has" against the OHA but you should always want to play in the sandbox...even if you are looking at other alternatives. Coming right out and saying you wanted no part of the OHA, was a colossal mistake. He should have understood the governance in this province and he would have realized that HC would not sanction outside of the OHF/OHA.

I am curious, I have heard there were many Jr "C" teams upset with the OHA. Does anyone else know anything about this??