Ancaster now pay-to-play...

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Ron

Ancaster now pay-to-play...

Post by Ron »

According to an article in this morning's Spec it will now cost most players between League fees and club fees $3500 to play for the Avalanche...will other Jr. B clubs now go with the pay-to-play model?
RagingBS

Re: Ancaster now pay-to-play...

Post by RagingBS »

Sounds like the owner wants to buy a new boat and get a membership at the yacht club with OJHL owners. My understanding is that Ancaster is now charging its players the maximum allowed by the league. I would think the more interesting question will be how many higher end players will choose to play elsewhere, how many are requesting trades and how many will refuse a to go to Ancaster. A new home for JrC hockey players with deep pockets.
jimmorrison

Post by jimmorrison »

He will have no problem getting players/parents to pay for a spot on his team. After all, who makes worse decisions about money than a hockey dad living the dream through his kid?? Heck some resort to buying the whole team not just a spot!!
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/75 ... -bulldogs/

http://www.network54.com/Forum/243529/t ... ay+to+play..

Agood read about this on the forum "IN THE CAGE WITH TIGERPAWS"
Good job Ron.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

First cages imposed throughout the OHA, now pay to play like they do in the OJ. What next? Make the players supply their own sticks and tape because they are expensive?. Buy their own windsuits and have their parents drive them to the road games. I thought junior hockey was supposed to be different than minor hockey. How about making them take turns on the Zamboni and cleaning the arena to cut costs??
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I would not be surprised if there are other teams in the league that charge fees on top of the OHA and GOJHL fee, but they just don't advertise it. There was someone on Twitter a few years ago that said he had to pay $1,600.00 to Brampton, and his son had only played less than 10 games.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

This is exactly the same situation that arose in the OJHL and made it the laughing stock of Tier 2 in this country! Daddy owners who purchase teams in order for their son to have a spot in the near future! If I am correct, I think he has a Minor Bantam goalie son who plays "A" level hockey.

As for the operating of a team being "as expensive as hell", you just purchased this team last year. Didn't you do your due diligence when investigating the purchase??
RagingBS

Post by RagingBS »

Getting corporate sponsors in the community takes work and can be time consuming as well. Might just be easier to get players that will purchase a roster spot instead, just like beer league
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Thorold is also charging now.
What happens if you get traded to one of the teams that charge?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cowboy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 pm Thorold is also charging now.
What happens if you get traded to one of the teams that charge?
Not sure, but I don't think players traded to a team that charges will have to pay anything. They are also likely trading away a kid who already paid. If that's the case, it evens itself out.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I would think the kid being traded away would receive a pro rated refund. As for the player being traded to Ancaster, they always have the option of refusing to report thereby forcing themselves to be released or retained by the original team. A send down to Jr C might be a better option than having a team that is charging own your Jr rights.

On another note coaches could always threaten to trade a players rights to Ancaster if there are disciplinary issues.
corvairsgf

Post by corvairsgf »

The owner of the Avalanche is scum... He basically made a bunch of dumb trades, which saw a lot of his best players leave, And the kids who are paying the maximum set up by the OHA are kids who aren't good enough to make any other team.... They resigned Tyler Hill, who is out indef. with injuries and resigned Jesse Hilton who has NO interest in playing for the coach they have now. Whenever Caledonia played there, i always got such a bad vibe from the owner, and even worse, the girls at the front of the gate... bad experiences all around!
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Say what you want about the owner and dumb trades but the bottom line is this...they are winning!
corvairsgf

Post by corvairsgf »

FrozenPonds wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:32 pm Say what you want about the owner and dumb trades but the bottom line is this...they are winning!
Just Barely...