Thorold Blackhawks.

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

BeenThereDoneThat

Thorold Blackhawks.

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

For the second straight time, the Blackhawks have cancelled a home game. I was told by an arena staff person that the Hawks don't have enough players left to ice a team. What the hell is going on ? While changing their team logo, should they also change their names to the Thorold Regals. :smt011 :smt012 :smt011
Vairs61

Re: Thorold Blackhawks.

Post by Vairs61 »

What a joke
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

It seemed they cared more about changing the logo than the focusing on the team itself. I remember reading that Thorold had a fair amount of financial hardship due to the change.

Is their coach still suspended?
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

Forget their logo. It appears they cared more about selling off their players to the highest bidder.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

They should be going with what they have, what makes them any better than Buffalo... Who's had to do just that for most of the season?!

What a joke!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

So... Caledonia should get the two points. Thorold basically forfeited both games.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Port hockey1 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:45 pm They should be going with what they have, what makes them any better than Buffalo... Who's had to do just that for most of the season?!

What a joke!
From what I understand, they had less than 10 guys show up for the game. You really want them to have to play with like 7, goalie included? Albeit short notice, and they'll probably get fined for it, at least they were smart enough to cancel instead of forging on with barely a team.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

From Darryl Smart

44 minutes ago
More
.....When more info is available look for a story from me. @GOJHLRumors2 @GOJHL_Updates @GOJHL @OHAhockey1 @GOJHL_Problems @BruceIdeson1
0 replies 0 retweets 1 like
Reply Retweet
Like 1
Darryl Smart ‏@DarrylSmart1 45m45 minutes ago
More
1/2 "We are trying to support the GHC teams to maintain integrity of the regular season & any potential effect on playoffs." @GOJHLRumors2
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
Darryl Smart ‏@DarrylSmart1 47m47 minutes ago
More
The @ThoroldJRBhawks
woes continue. As of now 2night's gm v @NF_Canucks is postponed. @GOJHL commish is working hard at a solution 1/2
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

Always a great job by Darryl on all local sports. But he has done the best coverage on the GHC and the GOJHL.
Don't know another reporter that covers local sports and the GOJHL better than him.
His coverage of the Caledonia Corvairs is the best in the GOJHL.

Thorold have been using a lot of APJ from the Niagara Riverhawks. But there in tough with JR-C playoffs.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Honestly, in my opinion, I think they should just forfeit the rest of the season, move Pelham to 7th and give Caledonia a bye to the second round. Thorold can use the extended off-season to look for a new buyer or rebuild adequately for next season
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Thorold's game against NF Jr Canucks tonight has been cancelled too:

NF Jr Canucks
‏@NF_Canucks

NO GAME TONIGHT Please be advised tonights game has been CANCELLED by @ThoroldJRBhawks. Next home game Fri, Feb 17 vs @WJRCanadians. 7:30pm
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

They should have Brantford move over and play in the GHL playoffs, this way its consistent number of teams in the three leagues.
ref

Post by ref »

jfvoll wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:33 am Thorold's game against NF Jr Canucks tonight has been cancelled too:

NF Jr Canucks
‏@NF_Canucks

NO GAME TONIGHT Please be advised tonights game has been CANCELLED by @ThoroldJRBhawks. Next home game Fri, Feb 17 vs @WJRCanadians. 7:30pm
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:36 am
Port hockey1 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:45 pm They should be going with what they have, what makes them any better than Buffalo... Who's had to do just that for most of the season?!

What a joke!
From what I understand, they had less than 10 guys show up for the game. You really want them to have to play with like 7, goalie included? Albeit short notice, and they'll probably get fined for it, at least they were smart enough to cancel instead of forging on with barely a team.
If things were really that bad, I see why they cancelled. Still makes me angry though, they have no excuse for not having enough signed players, or Ap's to ice a team.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

jfvoll wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:32 am Honestly, in my opinion, I think they should just forfeit the rest of the season, move Pelham to 7th and give Caledonia a bye to the second round. Thorold can use the extended off-season to look for a new buyer or rebuild adequately for next season
Or let Buffalo into the playoffs.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

With having only 1 win it would be a complete joke to let Buffalo have a playoff spot :smt101 . Do we really want to see 20 plus to 0 scores in the playoffs. Give the first place team a bye in the first round and then square up in the 2nd round.
arcprohd

Post by arcprohd »

Vairs61 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:52 pm They should have Brantford move over and play in the GHL playoffs, this way its consistent number of teams in the three leagues.
I really like this idea. Create a wildcard position in the GHC for whatever team finishes 9th with the best record. Agreed and hope it can become a reality should Thorold fold... the key is Buffalo not getting in automatically. We dont need 2 shitshows in the playoffs.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Just saw this on Twitter.

It appears the @ThoroldJRBhawks franchise has been terminated by the Ontario Hockey Association after the team forfeited 3 games. #GOJHL

It's from Sports Niagara.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Update, from Sports Niagara Twitter

With the Thorold Blackhawks kicked out of #GOJHL, Caledonia will not play Buffalo in the playoffs. The Corvairs will get a 1st-round bye.
Queen of the GOJHL

jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

jfvoll wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:32 am Honestly, in my opinion, I think they should just forfeit the rest of the season, move Pelham to 7th and give Caledonia a bye to the second round. Thorold can use the extended off-season to look for a new buyer or rebuild adequately for next season
I was right! Hahahahaha
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

well so much for there new logo
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

This is a rather unfortunate situation indeed. I can remember not that long ago when the Blackhawks and the Stratford Cullitons would battle it out for the Sutherland.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

So will they be back next year, or are they out for good?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm not sure how true it is, but I've read that supposedly this is part of the OHA's plan to cut our league down to 20 teams and 2 Conferences. If that's true, what other 6 teams are going to be forced out?
Queen of the GOJHL

jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

RocketGirl wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:22 am I'm not sure how true it is, but I've read that supposedly this is part of the OHA's plan to cut our league down to 20 teams and 2 Conferences. If that's true, what other 6 teams are going to be forced out?
Let's use some common sense here. If the OHA was going reduce the number of teams, as part of the "Tomorrow's Game", they would not allow the expansion team Brantford 99ers in 2013-2014, also, Buffalo would not return.

The timing doesn't make sense either. If you're going to reduce the teams to 20, the off-season would be the best way to do it, not a playoff bound team within a month of the playoffs starting.

Thorold fell victim to ownership wanting out and trying by selling their best players, tried to recuperate any lost money that was invested into the team.

One would think that something would happen next season. Perhaps we could see what happened with OS, when they were moved to another city. To be honest, I don't know what city would be able to support a Jr B team in the Shoe that doesn't have a Jr C team besides Port Colburne
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Will be interesting too see how playoff matchups work out. I agree with brantford coming in. Would be really hard to give Caledonia a bye. Not really fair to them to have to wait around for a 2 weeks then play a team like Ancaster or Niagara Falls. And I'm pretty sure nobody wants Buffalo in cuz that would ruin any chance of anybody beating Caledonia for +\- for wildcard. Even though it would be funny to see the +/- after the series
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Thorold had a great history, they showed that they can support a team when they were on top several years back. It would be a shame if this is it for that franchise. We need more owners with deep pockets, who are looking to run a team as a hobby.

Port could house a team for sure. Used to pack the house until Toffolo flushed the franchise down the toilet.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

It's sad such a great history. I do believe they can keep the team with the right owner(owners)
It sounds like they have a lot of issues there. I know there have been issue with the arena.
Without the Blackhawks this makes things worst. Maybe one of Thorold alumi will step up who knows.
What happens to the kids that are still there is there season done.
This talk about Port Colborne is interesting. I was wondering if the Niagara Whalers would be intersted in moving to the GOJHL.
The way the GMHL is going you never no.This could be a perfect time for them to move.
I don't know to much about there owner but they have brought in some players that's probably have cost them more money then the players are paying.
So he must have deep pockets.
Here's a thought maybe Terry Masterson would be interested in Thorold Blackhawks.
Can't see him just being a coach for the Whalers very much longer.
arcprohd

Post by arcprohd »

I always wondered about the GMHL teams that do ok as well. The St. George Ravens, Niagara Whalers, Tillsonburg Hurricanes (although the naming issue with 2 Hurricanes teams). Why not let a few of these teams legitimize their operations and join the league? Im not in favour of contraction at all as the layout of the teams works well for travel it seems. Cant see less teams travelling further would fix it. Seems like a quickie solution.
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

The Niagara Whalers won't move. They make their money from European and American players and they use it to bring in 21 year olds that cost them a ton of money. The reason these teams are not in the OHA is their ability to bring in as many European and American players as possible. Hockey Canada won't move on the European rule so that is why you have almost 40 Junior teams operating in Ontario who are not affiliated with Hockey Canada. That is quite a bit of coin they are losing out on (team fees that include insurance) and I'm sure if they are good business people, they will soon take a look at it. Will Terry Masterson move into Thorold, that could be a possibility. He should have left the game when he had a chance, but obviously he can't stay away from the rink. I guess the real question is; where are all the Junior Hockey team heading?? The teams that don't make their players pay have to dig into their own pockets because gate revenues and sponsorship revenues are becoming less and less every season. Most teams in the OPJHL are charging anywhere from $4,000.00 to $6,000 to play, so if the GOJHL wants to survive, they are going to have to follow suit. You have Caledonia and St. Catharines in the Shoe that are sound financially. Niagara Falls has some cash from the other revenue streams they have from the tournaments they run, but all the rest struggle each year to make things meet and it won't be long before they have to make that fatal decision to pack it in. The game is changing, but the Shoe has never really changed with the game. Seven or Eight teams that don't work each other, don't market their players, don't have any business deals together (equipment, etc.) and the list goes on. You have an owner who is in Welland who has destroyed that team and fan base. You had an owner in Port Colborne (and now in Pelham) who destroyed that franchise and was hated by everyone in that City. The league has always been the "have's and the have not's," and will never change. Thorold is the prime example when you buy a hockey team so your kid can play, eventually the whole situation is going to blow up in your face. Until they get all the "deadbeat owners" out of the Shoe, things will definitely get worst before they ever get better.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Canuckalhead wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:10 pm The Niagara Whalers won't move. They make their money from European and American players and they use it to bring in 21 year olds that cost them a ton of money. The reason these teams are not in the OHA is their ability to bring in as many European and American players as possible. Hockey Canada won't move on the European rule so that is why you have almost 40 Junior teams operating in Ontario who are not affiliated with Hockey Canada. That is quite a bit of coin they are losing out on (team fees that include insurance) and I'm sure if they are good business people, they will soon take a look at it. Will Terry Masterson move into Thorold, that could be a possibility. He should have left the game when he had a chance, but obviously he can't stay away from the rink. I guess the real question is; where are all the Junior Hockey team heading?? The teams that don't make their players pay have to dig into their own pockets because gate revenues and sponsorship revenues are becoming less and less every season. Most teams in the OPJHL are charging anywhere from $4,000.00 to $6,000 to play, so if the GOJHL wants to survive, they are going to have to follow suit. You have Caledonia and St. Catharines in the Shoe that are sound financially. Niagara Falls has some cash from the other revenue streams they have from the tournaments they run, but all the rest struggle each year to make things meet and it won't be long before they have to make that fatal decision to pack it in. The game is changing, but the Shoe has never really changed with the game. Seven or Eight teams that don't work each other, don't market their players, don't have any business deals together (equipment, etc.) and the list goes on. You have an owner who is in Welland who has destroyed that team and fan base. You had an owner in Port Colborne (and now in Pelham) who destroyed that franchise and was hated by everyone in that City. The league has always been the "have's and the have not's," and will never change. Thorold is the prime example when you buy a hockey team so your kid can play, eventually the whole situation is going to blow up in your face. Until they get all the "deadbeat owners" out of the Shoe, things will definitely get worst before they ever get better.
Great post right on