Cambridge Off-Season

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

ILuvHackey

Cambridge Off-Season

Post by ILuvHackey »

Making commitments today at camp are: Brandon Waterhouse, Evan Spencer, Joshua Urbshott.

@Bill_Doucet Apr 23
The @CWinterHawks commits to Josh Urbschott (Grey-Bruce), Brandon Waterhouse (Hamilton) and Evan Spencer (Stanstead College).

Brandon Waterhouse is brothers with Ryan Waterhouse from Guelph Hurricanes. Big 6'2 kid.

Anyone seen any of them? Stats? Anything?
Caledonia Fan

Re: Cambridge Off-Season

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I have been watching the Schmalz Cup. I' ve been impressed with Tyler Harrison (98) of the Centennials hope Cambridge give him a shot next year.
What happen this year I think I picked them to finish 2nd this year. Boy I was wrong and I wasn't the only one.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Caledonia Fan wrote:I have been watching the Schmalz Cup. I' ve been impressed with Tyler Harrison (98) of the Centennials hope Cambridge give him a shot next year.
What happen this year I think I picked them to finish 2nd this year. Boy I was wrong and I wasn't the only one.
He played a ton with Cambridge down the stretch after they traded for his rights from the Dutchies.

No way he isn't a Winterhawk next year.

This year's team felt like it had two good offensive players in Del Zotto and Steen and then surrounded them with grinders and meat heads. Management (which was new to the team) had to start axing some of the crap that Steve Hodson had left behind.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I remember when they sign Scott Patton to be there number one goalie.
He struggle at first he had a hard time trying to find his game. Then he got hurt lost the number one job to Owen Savory.
I was wondering about Evan Reinhart (99) is he related to Jonathan Reinhart he's from Cambridge.
Did Cole Cummings just go down to help Ary. You think they will use a 20 year old card on him or the wait and see approach. I don't think they have any 20 year olds. sign.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Caledonia Fan wrote:I remember when they sign Scott Patton to be there number one goalie.
He struggle at first he had a hard time trying to find his game. Then he got hurt lost the number one job to Owen Savory.
I was wondering about Evan Reinhart (99) is he related to Jonathan Reinhart he's from Cambridge.
Did Cole Cummings just go down to help Ary. You think they will use a 20 year old card on him or the wait and see approach. I don't think they have any 20 year olds. sign.
Evan Reinhart is Jonathan's brother.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Caledonia Fan wrote:I remember when they sign Scott Patton to be there number one goalie.
Would he follow his brother to Elmira?
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

jfvoll wrote:
ILuvHackey wrote:
Would he follow his brother to Elmira?
Is Reinhart gonna be back? Was good out in Jr. A. As a 96 he might want to give it one last go? Plus Elmira has Devine, no?

I saw Reinhart was at Cambridge's camp this past weekend. Was surprised not to see a tweet saying they committed to him.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Here's a write up on Cambridge off-season

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-sto ... r-2016-17/

Surprise About Scott Patton. And never knew Cambridge loss 13 one goal games.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

ILuvHackey wrote: Is Reinhart gonna be back? Was good out in Jr. A. As a 96 he might want to give it one last go? Plus Elmira has Devine, no?

I saw Reinhart was at Cambridge's camp this past weekend. Was surprised not to see a tweet saying they committed to him.
Unless Older Reinhart goes out west again and younger Reinhart becomes the backup
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Per OJHL Transactions: http://ojhl_site.stats.pointstreak.com/transactions.html?leagueid=231

Toronto Jr. Canadiens 06/01/16 ADD Del Zotto, Scott (F) added to team
Toronto Jr. Canadiens 06/01/16 ADD Steen, Matt (F) added to team
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

CambridgeWinterHawks ‏@CWinterHawks 19m19 minutes ago
Roster alert: @CWinterHawks sign Ryan Young from @NmktHurricanes and Ryan Shaw from @TigersJrA. Both are '96 forwards with scoring touch.

Needed to replace their best offensive in Steen and Del Zotto. Not abad start. Keep grindin' and get us back to the playoffs, STEWIE!
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

@Bill_Doucet 9h9 hours ago
The @CWinterHawks sign Liam Buckley, Niagara Jr. C rookie of the year. Playing for Dundas last year (46 pts) and 11 games with Guelph Storm

Got to see him with Dundas. Big and can skate with good skill. Have been surprised he's been in Jr. C considering he was used as a Guelph Storm callup. Should be an immediate top 6 forward for Cambridge.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Bill Doucet ‏@Bill_Doucet 10m10 minutes ago
The @CWinterHawks acquire Corson Searles from @GuelphCanes for @HarlenVan98 and @kylesomani.

HUGE Trade. Searles is likely going to be a top end Midwest forward this season. Adding him for two depth D is a trade you make every day.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

This team looks to be in great shape. They look to be on their way to a huge turnaround this season. Well done Cambridge! :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-sto ... 17-season/

It goes without saying that the Cambridge Winter Hawks have been one of the busiest Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League teams so far in the offseason.

After a last-place finish in the Midwestern Conference and missing the playoffs for the first time since 1992-93, the Winter Hawks wiped the slate clean after last season’s debacle and started assembling a team that they hope can make some noise this year.

In 20 days the team has put 11 players, only three of them returnees, on cards.

“We had a look at the core group and assessed them not only throughout the year, but in the offseason, and began to see what direction we wanted to take the team. So far, the signings are ones that we feel are going to be beneficial to us moving forward,” said Winter Hawks general manager Jeff Grimwood.

To start the signing period when cards were handed to teams on June 1, the Winter Hawks faced a hiccup when Scott Del Zotto and Matt Steen went to the Ontario Junior Hockey League’s Toronto Jr. Canadiens, then saw the Midwestern Junior C Hockey League rookie of the year, Ayr Centennials Tyler Harrison, of whom they purchased the rights for last season, commit to the Wellington Dukes.

The Winter Hawks turned around though and signed forward Liam Buckley, who spent 11 games with the Ontario Hockey League’s Guelph Storm last season before picking up 23 goals and 23 assists with the Niagara District Junior C Hockey League’s Dundas Blues, and 20-year-old forwards Ryan Young from the Newmarket Hurricanes and Ryan Shaw from the Aurora Tigers.

Young had 10 goals and 21 assists last season with Newmarket, while Shaw was traded from Newmarket to Aurora and had a total of 11 goals and 16 assists.

The Winter Hawks also picked up defenceman Ty Jackson in a cash deal from Elmira. Jackson had two goals and one assist in 12 games with Elmira last season, before finishing the campaign in Junior C Mount Forest where he had three goals and six assists in 14 games.

In the biggest move they made this summer, Cambridge traded defencemen Harlen Van Wynsberghe and Kyle Somani, and the rights to Ben Maidment, to Guelph for forward Corson Searles, who tallied 18 goals and 16 assists for the Hurricanes last season.

To top things off, defenceman Josh Urbschott, forward Brandon Waterhouse and forward Evan Spencer, whom the team committed to at the April prospects camp, signed on the dotted line, before returning defenceman Mitch Montgomery, forward Mat Mercier and forward Sean Ross decided to come back.

Buckley, Young, Shaw, Searles and Ross will be amongst those expected to lead an offense that, last year, really had little punch. Besides scoring a paltry 129 goals as a team – second fewest in the entire GOJHL – the Winter Hawks lost 13, one-goal games.

“Overall team scoring was something we struggled with last year,” Grimwood said.

“We attempted to add that overall team scoring as opposed to just one or two guys. With these fellas we brought in, they bring a sense of character and are committed to the 200-foot game. There’s a lot of other factors other than just their scoring ability.”

Even though the Winter Hawks struggled last year, there are still some players eligible to return that Grimwood thinks could be contributing members to this year’s squad, including goalie Owen Savory.

Savory was mentioned as a player committed to the team for next season, but has yet to sign a card.

“There’s factors with the different players that haven’t (signed yet),” Grimwood said.

“It’s not that they aren’t coming back, whether it’s the logistics of the actual signing or, you know, kids have options. We’re working through it and we hope our program rises to the top in terms of their priority.

“I’m not concerned by any stretch in where we’re at by returning players.”

While management would obviously have rather spent its time watching the team in the playoffs than going out to start rebuilding the roster at the end of February, Grimwood explained a positive aspect of missing the playoffs.

“It gave us the ability to get out and key on some of the kids who were on our radar,” he said, noting he tries to be a glass-half-full GM.

“We were able to not only watch them as hockey players, but get to know them while their season was still on, making some of these commitments a lot easier. Being a hockey player, for me, it’s not just being a good player, it’s about being a good person, having good character and being a good teammate.”

With main camp beginning on Aug. 14, Grimwood said he would like to have almost all his ducks in a row by then, with just the last few players coming out of that camp.

The idea is for the team to “hit the ground running” this season instead of coming out of the gate 0-3 like last year.

“We want to get the core group together and practising, and once that regular season starts, we’ll be further ahead in terms of the development of the systems and team chemistry.

“We want to be better than what we were. I know, collectively, we’ve worked really hard to try and achieve that. I’m positive, moving forward, the results will show that.”
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Savory has officially signed. And Cambridge has added 2000 Dman and Barrie Colts prospect, Tristan DeJong - big 6'2 kid apparently, who played for Waterloo's minor midget team last year.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

GOJHL HOCKEY IS BACK!

ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

@CWinterHawks 4m4 minutes ago
Roster alert: Hawks add @holdenwale . The 2000-born D-man from Paris is a fourth round pick for @OHLHoundPower

What a pick up!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Cambridge has traded Owen Savory to St. Catharines.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Sad to see Saves go, so soon after signing to come back.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-sto ... oaltender/

Good story about the Winter Hawks. Not much you can do when players want out or change there minds.
I hope Savory right on his decision but there's a thing call karma. The Winters Hawks might have a better year then people think.
Maybe not as good as St Kitts and the only reason is because St Kitts plays in the weak G.H.L.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

ww.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-story/6844908-cambridge-winter-hawks-head-coach-happy-with-team-upgrade-/

More on the WinterHawks. It's there goaltenders that will have to step up.