Thorold Blackhawks

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Caledonia Fan

Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Big loss to Thorold Josh Astorino signs with Georgetown Raiders. But I guess that's development.
Port hockey1

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:Big loss to Thorold Josh Astorino signs with Georgetown Raiders. But I guess that's development.
Yeah... development... :lol:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
nfnucks99

Post by nfnucks99 »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Caledonia Fan wrote:Big loss to Thorold Josh Astorino signs with Georgetown Raiders. But I guess that's development.
Does Thorold not develop players?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

nfnucks99 wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:
Does Thorold not develop players?
They do indeed develop players. But the OJHL isn't exactly leaving for a higher level, IMO. A lot of kids leave for that league, but return within a couple of years. Some kids must just feel the OJHL is the next level.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

They leave at the age of 18 or 19 to get a scholarship. When they don't get one, they come back at 20.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Georgetown is closer to Toronto so he should get seen more often by the D1 scouts. Unfortunately some of scouts still can't be convinced that the OJHL isn't a better league because of the letter designation.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Not saying Thorold don't develope players they do a great job at it. With a good coach to learn from.
Just getting sick of people thinking JR-A tier II is a better hockey league than JR-B GOJHL.
I watch a lot of hockey and JR-B is just as good. Not saying JR-A is bad its not it's just not better.
JR-A can take from jr-b not just there younger players. There starting to take there older players to.
Especially there goalies Lachance, Lazzarino and Rawski 97's. Balinson(d), Hildbrandt(f) , Flack(f) and Astorino (g) all are 96 20 year olds.
With very little compensation to the JR-B teams and they call it development.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:Not saying Thorold don't develope players they do a great job at it. With a good coach to learn from.
Just getting sick of people thinking JR-A tier II is a better hockey league than JR-B GOJHL.
I watch a lot of hockey and JR-B is just as good. Not saying JR-A is bad its not it's just not better.
JR-A can take from jr-b not just there younger players. There starting to take there older players to.
Especially there goalies Lachance, Lazzarino and Rawski 97's. Balinson(d), Hildbrandt(f) , Flack(f) and Astorino (g) all are 96 20 year olds.
With very little compensation to the JR-B teams and they call it development.
We both seem to have the same opinion on this topic. :)
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

Losing d'agastino on the back end will hurt even more signed in the Ajhl
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

According to the NOJHL site Thorold has pick up 20 year old Christian Whitcomb from Powassen.
D 5'9" 161 lbs 44 -4 - 16 - 20 - 27
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

New attitude in Thorold and I like it. From Brain Kelly he wants guys to go out there and contribute right away. He's not interested in developing.
It sounds like there going for it this year. Good for Thorold.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... blackhawks
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

They might improve on last season, but I'd be surprised to them any higher than 4th place.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I saw on the OJHL forum that Markham picks up last year forwards Doug Carter and JOHN HUDGIN from the Pickering Pathers.

This article and according to Kelly and he was all pump up about it. That John Hudgin was coming to Thorold.
Anyone know anything, big blow to Thorold. I checked pre-season games he never played no pre-season games with Thorold or Pickering.

Pickering 09/01/16 DEL Hudgin, John (F) traded to Markham
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

It wouldn't be the first time a player has changed his mind at the last minute.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Caledonia Fan wrote:New attitude in Thorold and I like it. From Brain Kelly he wants guys to go out there and contribute right away. He's not interested in developing.
It sounds like there going for it this year. Good for Thorold.

I don't know want every happen to Thorold this year so far. After starting out so good.
They have the leaning scorer in the GOJHL. Got back Davis picked up Charlton and Buch. to name a few.
They had a good start against Caledonia Thur. But just couldn't keep up. Frustration seem to settle in on the team and coach.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Thorold had such a promise start to the season. Talking tough to. I liked it .
Port Hockey and myself were waiting for them to break out. Sadly this never happen.
Injuries, deals that never worked out and just plan bad luck. But they hung in there
9 games lost by one goal. Played the top teams tough took Caledonia to O/T twice
Beat St Kitts and lose by a goal Beat N.F. twice and lose by a goal.They were in most games even with the season they were having.
Then why trade the nucleus of your team. They lose Cal Davis Icedogs traded him to Kingston this happens.
But D Agostino(98) Roubos (98) Buch (98) and Lloyd (96)
Maybe I could see Lloyd going being a (96) But the other three with two years of JR left.
Want kind of message are you sending your fan base. I mean D Agostino top three in scoring.
Your two top defencemen and Buch 16PTS in 17 games.
You have to wonder how safe Brain Kelly job is. Or if he has the passion left.
After such a promise season gone bad.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

They did look to have promise to start the season. They were in games though mostly because of Fraser Kirk there goalie. He played really well but I beleive was released after the game vs Caledonia. But if you look at how many of the games they were in they likely should of won quite a few of them. Once they got to the third they just tried to defend the lead. That likely caused 5-6 losses. Once they started slipping you had to figure this was coming. Idk why there trading all there players but there certainly must be getting a ton of money back in return. Maybe there saving up for a run in a year soon. Idk what else there could be. You have a young promising goalir. Wait a year or 2 and he might be able to carry the team and you can make a run for a championship then. Idk just a idea
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I believe Fraser is or was hurt for awhile. But he has struggle this year by his standards.
And Blattenberger just didn't work out. They release him.
Feel sorry for Slobodzian this Sat. in Caledonia. Thorold don't have much left.
There will be a lot of call ups from JR-C.in the line up. Slobodzian coming from Mt. Hope probally have a lot of family there.
But maybe Fraser will play. Just wondering if there thinking of putting the team up for sale.
That's why all the movement sell your assets than sell the team.
Nick Sacco is 20 next year. I could see him going to JR-C.

Article of better times in Thorold.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... ff-canucks
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:Thorold had such a promise start to the season. Talking tough to. I liked it .
Port Hockey and myself were waiting for them to break out. Sadly this never happen.
Injuries, deals that never worked out and just plan bad luck. But they hung in there
9 games lost by one goal. Played the top teams tough took Caledonia to O/T twice
Beat St Kitts and lose by a goal Beat N.F. twice and lose by a goal.They were in most games even with the season they were having.
Then why trade the nucleus of your team. They lose Cal Davis Icedogs traded him to Kingston this happens.
But D Agostino(98) Roubos (98) Buch (98) and Lloyd (96)
Maybe I could see Lloyd going being a (96) But the other three with two years of JR left.
Want kind of message are you sending your fan base. I mean D Agostino top three in scoring.
Your two top defencemen and Buch 16PTS in 17 games.
You have to wonder how safe Brain Kelly job is. Or if he has the passion left.
After such a promise season gone bad.
I heard D'Agostino wanted out. Guessing that Roubos & Buch wanted the same. Not sure about those two, just speculating. This is sad though, a step back for a Thorold team that looked to be heading in the right direction.

Well said Caledonia fan, I was waiting for this group to come together. I thought adding the goalie from St.Catharines was a great sign. I'm sure they'll regroup a bit next year though. Hope they do, not that long ago they were the team to beat in the Shoe.
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

They are for sale if you've got enough cash.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

For sale makes sense now. Sell off all of your valuable assets, get as much cash in hand as possible and then sell the team at the end of the year. Rumor has it that their top 3 players brought in more than 30 grand in total.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Well they lost to Pelham tonight with 16 skaters, going to be a long 2 months in Thorold I think.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

To be fair Pelham has gotten great goaltending this season. Two recent pickups at forward might make them good enough to beat a few of the bottom teams.
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

Pelham is also for sale...............but they have been sale for the last 10 years!! lol Heard the league has a $150,000.00 minimum if a team wants to sell. St. Catharines and Niagara Falls might be worth half that, but the rest aren't worth a dime. Won't be long before players will be paying 3-5k to play (like they do in the OPJHL) or else teams will be folding.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

There are to many teams in the Niagara region, wouldn't be worst thing if a few folded.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Canuckalhead wrote:Pelham is also for sale...............but they have been sale for the last 10 years!! lol Heard the league has a $150,000.00 minimum if a team wants to sell. St. Catharines and Niagara Falls might be worth half that, but the rest aren't worth a dime. Won't be long before players will be paying 3-5k to play (like they do in the OPJHL) or else teams will be folding.
Toffolo is in real Estate... :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks like he needs a refresher on how to make a sale. 8)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Vairs61 wrote:There are to many teams in the Niagara region, wouldn't be worst thing if a few folded.
Ya but this division has always been Niagara based.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

01/22/17 Kelly, Bryan () placed on league suspension for Indefinite games
On Saturday's game:
Thorold - Bryan Kelly - (Abuse of Officials) (Game Misconduct) (GM21), 0 MIN, 0:00
Thorold - Bryan Kelly - (Travesty of Game) (Gross Misconduct) (GRM60), 0 MIN, 0:00
I wonder what happened?
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Frustration boiling over from ownership selling all his players at the deadline? 14 skaters that night. Do not think they have had a full lineup since. Was only a matter of time I guess.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Kelly is good coach who does a remarkable job holding back his temper on the bench. When he was in Port, you could see him boiling over at times, but he would have this half smile on his face. Really good at setting examples for his players. I thought he had great restraint, especially when he had a few fans hollering at him all night from across the rink.

But he's human... When he feels the refs aren't doing a good job, he'll start to talk to them. If they just laugh and keep it up, explosion waiting to happen. And I don't blame him one bit.