Big hill to climb for Simcoe

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Caledonia Fan

Big hill to climb for Simcoe

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Not looking good for Simcoe. I hope they can turn it around.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/675 ... in-simcoe/
Seth

Re: Big hill to climb for Simcoe

Post by Seth »

Lots of teams hurting since they merged C and D together.
richard

Post by richard »

It had to be done. True example jr d team loses all his teams local players to jr c teams. This jr d team forced to sign outside players. No local players no crowds no interest some teams folded etc.

I like the idea previous jr c teams have to attract and develop there own players now with c and d joined together. This keeps local players playing for their local team whether previously c or d. Good decision by oha.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

I don't want to sound like a negative nelly and I hope Simcoe can get it together, but....they have a new g.m that's quoted in the paper as saying he wants to recruit players by telling them how much ice time they will get along with special team minutes?!?! I know from being a parent that this is a recruitment red flag. How can you guarantee a player ice time and special teams minutes in July? Clearly indicates that this new g.m doesn't know what he's doing, no hockey guy that knows what he's doing guarantees ice time in his recruitment, it's a recipe for disaster. Strong organizations start with sound hockey decisions, there is no magic formula, if you don't have someone that knows what they are doing then it isn't going to work regardless of intention. Look forward to seeing how this plays out, best of luck Simcoe.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Funny thing is this isn't this GM's first rodeo. He has been with Paris for quite a while even was a part of building their championship team in 2014. It is odd that he would be telling them about their ice time as one would think that would be the coaches job to decide. Come to think of it this is gotta be one of the first times I've heard a GM doing such a thing.
Platter31

Post by Platter31 »

Thanks captain Obvious :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Seth wrote:Funny thing is this isn't this GM's first rodeo. He has been with Paris for quite a while even was a part of building their championship team in 2014. It is odd that he would be telling them about their ice time as one would think that would be the coaches job to decide. Come to think of it this is gotta be one of the first times I've heard a GM doing such a thing.
From what I've heard, he IS the coach too.

And most organizations do use ice time in recruitment. Not specific numbers, but telling them where they envision the kid playing Top 6 vs Bottom 6, etc.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

This is a basic recruitment strategy. Many GMs will tell a player where they envision then fitting in and by this point they usually have a good idea who they will be selecting from. If they don't communicate something why would a player commit? Best advice for the player would be to talk to current and former players about how reliable the GM's words are before signing anything. A leopard can't change its spots.
Seth

Post by Seth »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Seth wrote:Funny thing is this isn't this GM's first rodeo. He has been with Paris for quite a while even was a part of building their championship team in 2014. It is odd that he would be telling them about their ice time as one would think that would be the coaches job to decide. Come to think of it this is gotta be one of the first times I've heard a GM doing such a thing.
From what I've heard, he IS the coach too.

And most organizations do use ice time in recruitment. Not specific numbers, but telling them where they envision the kid playing Top 6 vs Bottom 6, etc.
I've heard that last years coach is still staying on as the coach