Team changes and new teams

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

three dog night

Team changes and new teams

Post by three dog night »

http://gmhl.net/component/content/artic ... ms-2016-17 Looks like the Niagara area will have two teams now.
Port hockey1

Re: Team changes and new teams

Post by Port hockey1 »

Great, now we have the battle of Niagara! :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Seth

Post by Seth »

They've added a team in Tillsonburg as well. I can't see it working as their home nights will be the same as the Sr A team that has been in town for almost a decade and draw really well, I don't see how playing on the smaller pad with almost zero seating is going to work out for them. I guess when you have players pay big money to play it doesn't matter if the team draws at the gate or not I suppose.
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

The Tillsonberg team will be the same clowns that had the team in Simcoe (Norfolk) last season. They have left a path of unpaid bills and unfilled promises to their players. It was a total disgrace both off and on the ice. They are in partnership with the league owners, so no wonder it was a gong show. The Lincoln team was ready to go last season, but could not work out their lease agreement. Since Niagara doesn't care about making money and they are going to sign as many Jr. B players as possible, you will find that the Lincoln team may not be very competitive as they are going to have a hard time taping into the 21 year old players available. The GMHL is really in trouble. They have lost six teams, three have moved and they haven't really added any new teams (since Lincoln was already in last season). With the new league coming out of Central Ontario area who have added 12 new teams and seem to have their sh** together, there may be some pressure on the GMHL to clean up their act this season.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Canuckalhead wrote:The Tillsonberg team will be the same clowns that had the team in Simcoe (Norfolk) last season. They have left a path of unpaid bills and unfilled promises to their players. It was a total disgrace both off and on the ice. They are in partnership with the league owners, so no wonder it was a gong show. The Lincoln team was ready to go last season, but could not work out their lease agreement. Since Niagara doesn't care about making money and they are going to sign as many Jr. B players as possible, you will find that the Lincoln team may not be very competitive as they are going to have a hard time taping into the 21 year old players available. The GMHL is really in trouble. They have lost six teams, three have moved and they haven't really added any new teams (since Lincoln was already in last season). With the new league coming out of Central Ontario area who have added 12 new teams and seem to have their sh** together, there may be some pressure on the GMHL to clean up their act this season.
They had too many teams. They still do. It waters down the product. They need to eliminate a few more teams, teams that are struggling to survive and tanking in the standings. Their players should then be assigned to the remaining teams. The bottom teams should get first pick at any top players available. This way the bottom teams are given a boost, and can't make excuses if they fail to market their organization properly a couple of years down the road.

It's a great league, many kids from Russia, Sweden, Australia, etc. get a shot at making their dream come true. These kids dream about the chance of playing Junior hockey in Canada where scouts will notice them if they have what it takes. It has paid off for many kids, while others at least got to come here and live their hockey dream.

The league has a lot of corruption issues floating around. I'm not alleging anything, but I've read a lot of interesting articles. I really hope this league is able to get its act together and continue to make dreams come true.

I don't know much about this other league... Is that the same league that wanted to put a team in Port Colborne? It was a team from a new league and city council voted against moving them into the new arena, where they would've shared the ice with the Niagara Whalers.

If anyone has any information about this other league, such as the talent level, how they're marketing themselves, etc. Please join the conversation and add your 2 cents. :) :smt006
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Seth

Post by Seth »

Canuckalhead wrote:The Tillsonberg team will be the same clowns that had the team in Simcoe (Norfolk) last season. They have left a path of unpaid bills and unfilled promises to their players. It was a total disgrace both off and on the ice. They are in partnership with the league owners, so no wonder it was a gong show. The Lincoln team was ready to go last season, but could not work out their lease agreement. Since Niagara doesn't care about making money and they are going to sign as many Jr. B players as possible, you will find that the Lincoln team may not be very competitive as they are going to have a hard time taping into the 21 year old players available. The GMHL is really in trouble. They have lost six teams, three have moved and they haven't really added any new teams (since Lincoln was already in last season). With the new league coming out of Central Ontario area who have added 12 new teams and seem to have their sh** together, there may be some pressure on the GMHL to clean up their act this season.
The Owner of the Tillsonburg team is Ian Ellis who isn't a part of the Fish family gong show in Simcoe.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Port hockey1 wrote:
They had too many teams. They still do. It waters down the product. They need to eliminate a few more teams, teams that are struggling to survive and tanking in the standings. Their players should then be assigned to the remaining teams. The bottom teams should get first pick at any top players available. This way the bottom teams are given a boost, and can't make excuses if they fail to market their organization properly a couple of years down the road.

It's a great league, many kids from Russia, Sweden, Australia, etc. get a shot at making their dream come true. These kids dream about the chance of playing Junior hockey in Canada where scouts will notice them if they have what it takes. It has paid off for many kids, while others at least got to come here and live their hockey dream.

The league has a lot of corruption issues floating around. I'm not alleging anything, but I've read a lot of interesting articles. I really hope this league is able to get its act together and continue to make dreams come true.

I don't know much about this other league... Is that the same league that wanted to put a team in Port Colborne? It was a team from a new league and city council voted against moving them into the new arena, where they would've shared the ice with the Niagara Whalers.

If anyone has any information about this other league, such as the talent level, how they're marketing themselves, etc. Please join the conversation and add your 2 cents. :) :smt006
I agree the league has too many teams, but as long as some of these smaller centres want to have a junior team this league seems to be the way for these towns to achieve that goal sine the OHA isn't in any hurry to add teams.
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

The new league is situated in Central Ontario and will operate 12 teams from Seaforth to Ottawa. It is called the Canadian Premier Junior Hockey League (CPJHL). It is made up of a few ex GMHL owners and new owners who want to do everything right that the GMHL didn't. It is not the league that wanted to go into Port Colborne. That was a single A pro league. There is also a new league called the National College Prospects Hockey League. They will have teams in Buffalo, other parts of New York State, PA and Maine. They will be sanctioned and operate under the AAU umbrella like the CPJHL. That's 20 more junior teams. The GMHL may be in big trouble as the have had 6 teams fold and three teams move this year. The only new team is Lincoln who are not really new since they were ready to go last season but had problems getting their arena lease. I think their bubble has broken and people are finally sick of GMHL's "we are just here to take everyone's money" attitude.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Canuckalhead wrote:The new league is situated in Central Ontario and will operate 12 teams from Seaforth to Ottawa. It is called the Canadian Premier Junior Hockey League (CPJHL). It is made up of a few ex GMHL owners and new owners who want to do everything right that the GMHL didn't. It is not the league that wanted to go into Port Colborne. That was a single A pro league. There is also a new league called the National College Prospects Hockey League. They will have teams in Buffalo, other parts of New York State, PA and Maine. They will be sanctioned and operate under the AAU umbrella like the CPJHL. That's 20 more junior teams. The GMHL may be in big trouble as the have had 6 teams fold and three teams move this year. The only new team is Lincoln who are not really new since they were ready to go last season but had problems getting their arena lease. I think their bubble has broken and people are finally sick of GMHL's "we are just here to take everyone's money" attitude.
Thanks. :)