Leamington(1) vs Chatham(4), 2nd Round Playoff Thread

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Re: Leamington(1) vs Chatham(4), 2nd Round Playoff Thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

Chatham takes 2-1 series lead

Chatham hangs on for a 4-3 win in Leamington. The Maroons played a great 3rd period, lots of intensity. But the turnovers are still a big problem. A lot of them in their own zone tonight. I thought it was going to lead to OT.

The officials were awful in the 3rd period. I didn't see how the penalty that led to Leamington's 3rd goal was charging... The other penalty was a good call, but they let the Flyers get away with a few hooks/trips in the 3rd period.

I've noticed that penalty's have been called later in games in all of these playoff series. It always seems to suit keeping the series as even as possible too. Maybe it's an effort to make the league look more competitive... But whatever the reasoning is, it's uncalled for and takes away from the integrity of these games.

Three games in three nights

Tomorrow's game is very important for Chatham. They need to come out hard and play a good strong game. It should be treated as a game 7, and staying out of the box will be a huge must. Win tomorrow and the Flyer's are going into their 3rd game in three nights down 3-1 in this series.

Tomorrow night is Chatham & Leamington's biggest game of the season. Chatham doesn't wan't to go into game 5 in a 2-2 series. Three games in three nights... Anything can happen in game 5.

Good job boys, tomorrow we go for the dagger, be ready! Go Chatham!!!
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

No home ice advantage in this series see Chatham won again in Leamington.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Difference in this game tonight was goaltending. Johnson was better then Wall.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:Difference in this game tonight was goaltending. Johnson was better then Wall.
I didn't see much of the first 2 periods. Looks like Leamington controlled the play for the most part though. They've got a well
rounded team. The rookie goalie seems to be a little nervous or something in the playoffs. Maybe just some rust after a few easy games in the first round.

I'll be watching tomorrow night, been a great series! :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Flyers even things up

Leamington wins 3-1 despite being out-shot 41-31. I thought Chatham played a solid 50 minutes. But the wheels started to fall off after that.

Chatham found themselves with a 5 on 3 power play for over a minute while down 2-1 midway through the 3rd. But a veteran defensemen looked to be lost on a routine pass back to the blueline to start the two-man advantage. The puck wen't right through his legs, if that wasn't bad enough he looked completely oblivious that the puck was even coming towards him. :smt015

That was the turning point. After that a rookie forward fell down near the blueline resulting in another broken play. Then a questionable offside pretty much ends the power play. That rookie mistake by that 20 year old defensemen can't happen in a playoff game. I'm not trying to pin it on him either, these things happen and nobody's perfect. I'm just in disbelief. The Flyers were basically handing us the tie and we blew it!

Wall was the difference though. Both goalie's came up with big saves but Wall's play was amazing. He made those crucial saves he wasn't making early in this series. Full credit to the Flyers, a very tight defensive team. They also once again moved the puck fairly fast. Hard to keep up sometimes.

Chatham gave it a gutsy effort. Tomorrow's game is huge. Nobody wants their backs against the Wall. I thought the officials did a good job of letting them play tonight. The whole game had that playoff atmosphere.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Flyers 3rd goal shouldn't have counted. The goalie was interfered with on the play.

Terrible call!!! :smt013
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Flyers dump Maroons, take 3-2 series lead

The Flyers showed up to play, the Maroons didn't... That pretty much sums this one up! I thought Leamington controlled the play very well in this game. Chatham can't say they were tired, because Leamington just played their 3rd game in 3 nights too. Losing 7-1 was not what I had expected. Chatham has a lot of young players and are more than capable of sending this series to a 7th game. Fresh start in game 6 boys.

I wasn't overly pleased with the officiating tonight, but it was very decent compared to some of the games I've seen in the Golden Horseshoe.

I missed most of the 3rd period, as I watched the 3rd of the London vs LaSalle game. But I saw a spirited, but quick fight at center ice when I came back. The Chatham kid landed a couple of good punches but the Leamington kid took him down with several devastating blows. Another brawl broke out along the boards at the same time. The Chatham kid pummeled the Leamington kid, but there were a few other players in there.

I wasn't happy with how that situation was handled, but it's in the past. Full credit to Leamington, they didn't miss a beat tonight. Wall was his brick Wall self. :)

The kids taping the game made for some interesting commentary. I took it all in stride, but they sounded a lot like the Homers who call the Boston Bruins games. :P :)
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Mute the audio on FH, open another tab and listen to the game on Chatham radio at www.country929.com. Usually in Chatham during the playoffs the radio feed is on FH so that isn't necessary.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote:Mute the audio on FH, open another tab and listen to the game on Chatham radio at http://www.country929.com. Usually in Chatham during the playoffs the radio feed is on FH so that isn't necessary.
Thanks. :)
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

There were a few goals to say the least that shouldnt have counted port and honestly i think thay was the turning point chatham olayed well till that the third was just crap tge refs lost control of the game early but what ever im sure flyers will be in here soon with his usual bs . Oh well back to the drawing board for sunday
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

There was one goal that was questionable i agree port. But it was a 7-1 game Leamington dominated this game. Brad the difference tonight was leamington was better then chatham end of story.
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

Leamington came to play and Chatham did not. Chatham’s defense was terrible and their power play (when they did get one) was brutal. Tonight Leamington physically took it to Chatham and many of the younger smaller players were intimidated and would not go into the corner to battle for the puck, Unfortunately, in the smaller Memorial Arena in Chatham, this will only be worse.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

For anyone that goes by pointstreak i noticed a minor error. Johnson was in for all 7 goals. He was not pulled after the 2nd period. Got pulled after the 7th goal.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:For anyone that goes by pointstreak i noticed a minor error. Johnson was in for all 7 goals. He was not pulled after the 2nd period. Got pulled after the 7th goal.
I think they should've pulled him after the 5th goal. Let him rest for game 6.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Agreed. A few of us were saying the same thing. Im wondering if they possibily go with Butler in Game 6. Personally i think hes a pretty good goalie.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:Agreed. A few of us were saying the same thing. Im wondering if they possibily go with Butler in Game 6. Personally i think hes a pretty good goalie.
He had a great season, but that would be a risky move to make.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Big game six tonight Chatham due to win on home ice.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Flyers heading back to conference finals

With their 4-2 win tonight Leamington advances to the conference finals for a 3rd straight season.(I think it's 3)

Chatham's youth showed once again tonight as the inexperienced kids made some mistakes and just didn't have that extra drive that's needed to succeed in the playoffs. The Maroon's took a few undisciplined penalty's in this game too.

Full credit to the Flyers, they earned this series with a relentless work ethic. They also got outstanding goaltending once again tonight.

I will be pulling for the underdog in the finals. :)