Leamington(1) vs Chatham(4), 2nd Round Playoff Thread

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Leamington(1) vs Chatham(4), 2nd Round Playoff Thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

Still no schedule released. What's going on there :?:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Re: Leamington(1) vs Chatham(4), 2nd Round Playoff Thread

Post by flyers2011 »

The fighting begins before the series even starts haha
End of a era in Leamington
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

This is from the Chatham Daily News website.

"The Chatham Maroons will visit the Leamington Flyers on Thursday for Game 1 in their GOJHL Western Conference semifinal.
Game 2 is tentatively scheduled for Sunday at Memorial Arena at 7 p.m.
The rest of the schedule will be confirmed Wednesday."

Leamington is 20 minutes south of me and Chatham is 30 minutes east. I'm hoping I can make all games!
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Thurs. Mar. 17 - Chatham @ Leamington - 7:10 Highbury Canco
Sun. Mar. 20 - Leamington @ Chatham - 7:00 Chatham Memorial
Tues. Mar. 22 - Chatham @ Leamington - 7:10 Highbury Canco
Wed. Mar. 23 - Leamington @ Chatham - 7:00 Chatham Memorial
Thurs. Mar. 24 - Chatham @ Leamington - 7:10 Highbury Canco
Sun. Mar. 27 - Leamington @ Chatham - 7:00 Chatham Memorial
Mon. Mar. 28 - Chatham @ Leamington - 7:10 Highbury Canco
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Really tough trying to fit in Thursdays in Leamington and Sundays in Chatham. I'm sure both clubs would have loved to avoid the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday mess but with a Good Friday and Easter Sunday thrown into the mix too, it really complicates things. I'm surprized they got a game on Easter Sunday, most rinks are closed then.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Apparently leamington wanted to start thursday then friday in chatham and back in leamington sunday. Chatham said they only could get 2 hours icetime friday so thats why the compacted schedule. Im sure the crowds on the tuesday and wednesday games will still be good.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I was told that you have the right to your regular home night within the first 4 games, so good on Chatham for sticking with Sunday, but now that causes a 3 in 3 for Games 3, 4 & 5.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Yup good on chatham. Hopefully they like 3 games in 3 nights. This time of year your home night shouldnt really matter especially when your not the team with home ice. GO FLYERS !
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

Hey Flyers, your comment doesn't make sense. "They" are both Leamington and Chatham, so they are both playing three games in a row. That makes it even and a non-issue.
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

I was thinking the same thing. He said it like it's only Chatham that has to play 3 games in 3 nights.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

What i meant was. Chatham is the one that wanted 3 games in 3 nights.
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

No, Chatham wanted their Sunday home game, 3 games in a row was the price. However, Leamington pays that price as well, so it all comes out in the wash.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Well hopefully I don't hear an excuse that Chatham looks tired. Because I will remind you this is what they wanted. Anyways enough about that, this is going to be a great series, here is a couple previews for the series that starts Thursday night
http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/03/ ... conference
http://windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/fl ... ence-semis
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:Well hopefully I don't hear an excuse that Chatham looks tired. Because I will remind you this is what they wanted. Anyways enough about that, this is going to be a great series, here is a couple previews for the series that starts Thursday night
http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/03/ ... conference
http://windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/fl ... ence-semis
They have a deep team. I don't think being tired will be much of an issue for either side.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I agree both teams are deep and to the "players" it wont be a big deal. Its the fans that use excuses like that.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:I agree both teams are deep and to the "players" it wont be a big deal. Its the fans that use excuses like that.
Looking forward to catching the game on fast hockey. Hopefully they have a better connection then they had during the London game last night. :)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

What an awful call to make, that led to the tieing goal. Complete B.S. call.

But had Chatham played 60 minutes they would have won this game in regulation. Too many lazy shifts. It takes 60 Minutes to win in the playoffs. They let Leamington back in the game. That can't happen if they are going to win the series. Leamington will burn them every time. 60 Minutes boys!

Go Chatham!!!
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

What a exciting game 1. Wall definatley had a off night. Reffing was brutal in this game but wasnt the difference. Flyers showed alot of heart coming back from 3 down in the third and chatham showed heart finding a way to still get the win in OT. Going to be a great long series.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Chatham squeaks out game one win

Chatham jumped out to a fast 3-0 lead, out-shooting Leamington 10-0 in the process. Then Leamington returned the favor as they went on a run of their own, out-shooting Chatham 8-0, and scoring a goal. It was 4-1 after the first period.

They exchanged goals in the second. Then Chatham just kind of got lazy and sat back in the third period as Leamington scored 3 unanswered goals to tie the game. After they tied it up, Chatham woke back up.

Gus Ford ended the game with his 3rd goal of the night on a harmless looking play just inside the blue line, but the kid's got a nice shot.

Both teams took needless, careless penalty's at times. The Flyers took a few undisciplined penalty's in the 1st, but they settled down after that. Chatham didn't. They took a few penalty's that were completely undisciplined. Overall though, Chatham did a good job of staying out of the drama after the whistles. That impressed me.

I thought the penalty that resulted in the tieing goal was a very cheap call. Especially after a Flyer had just dropped to the ice like he was in pain after barely being touched by the boards seconds earlier. No unsportsmanlike conduct call on that play, but seconds later they make that call on Chatham. :smt009

But the officiating wasn't bad in this game.

The Chatham players need to play every shift like they played at the start, and end of this game. No excuses!! If they continue to take shifts off, and get lazy at times when going for a loose puck, this series won't last long!

Chatham was extremely lucky to get out of there with a win tonight. With the series lead the focus should be on playing better in game 2. Because things are only going to get harder from here. 60 Minutes boys! No Pain, No Gain!!!

Go Chatham! :)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I noticed Leamington does all the little things well. They always have their sticks on the ice, and they break up plays well. They also like to take their time when setting up their own plays. They slowly figure out what they want to do, then they turn the energy up and are a fast paced team when moving the puck around. Their focus is being smart and doing all the little things right.

Chatham needs to take notice. That style has won back to back West Championships. Chatham needs to be in their faces when they are trying to figure their plays out. Leamington likes to start their rushes and puck movement on their own terms. If Chatham keeps rushing them it will lead to mistakes.

That's a big factor in this series. If Chatham plays every shift hard, and does the little things right in their own zone... They'll win this series. But anything less will lead to a series win for the hard working Flyers.

Keep your sticks on the ice, win those foot races for the puck. Be smart with the puck. This team is more than capable.

Go Chatham!!! :D
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Big win for the Maroons to steal first one in Leamington. No surprise to see Ford come through as the man for Chatham. Good leaders lead in the playoffs. Meanwhile, Maroons seemed to get under Amante's skin; 16 mins in the bin. Ouch, not good for your top point-getter. I imagine Pirowski will try to fix that problem in G2, but good luck with that when these are the two most penalized teams in the west. A lot of stick penalties tonight. Looks like special teams will be key to winning this series unless they can stop chopping at one another.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Looked like a barn burner of a game.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Ford leads the team in playoff goals (six) and points (13), but he said every player elevates his game in the post-season.

“You've got to go out, full out, all the time,” he said. “For me, it's my last year. I'm going to give it all I've got. I know all the OAs (overagers) are going to do the same thing. The younger guys, they want to win it for us, and we want to win it for them.”
Sounds like the veterans know what it will take to win this. Keep the youngsters eye's on the prize boys! :) :smt079

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/03/ ... e-2-sunday
GOJHLFAN-999

Post by GOJHLFAN-999 »

I kind of see it this way. Chatham was rather fortunate to come out with a win in game 1. They did all the right things in the first period, but did not adjust their style or game plan in the second and third periods. Leamington on the other hand did. They made defensive adjustments and for the most part shut Chatham down for the two remaining periods.

If Chatham makes comes out with a new game plan in game 2 and makes adjustments throughout and between periods, than I believe Chatham can win game 2. If they rely on the same system as game 1, than Leamington will be ready and will dominate the first period and win game 2.

Simply put, player for player, Leamington is the better team (I can’t see anyone argue that). But Chatham can win if they have the players come out for a full 60 minutes and the coaches adjust their strategy throughout the game.

Game 2 is huge. If Chatham wins, I think the series will go 6 games with Chatham winning. If Leamington takes game 2, than it’s over in 5 with Leamington moving on.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLFAN-999 wrote:I kind of see it this way. Chatham was rather fortunate to come out with a win in game 1. They did all the right things in the first period, but did not adjust their style or game plan in the second and third periods. Leamington on the other hand did. They made defensive adjustments and for the most part shut Chatham down for the two remaining periods.

If Chatham makes comes out with a new game plan in game 2 and makes adjustments throughout and between periods, than I believe Chatham can win game 2. If they rely on the same system as game 1, than Leamington will be ready and will dominate the first period and win game 2.

Simply put, player for player, Leamington is the better team (I can’t see anyone argue that). But Chatham can win if they have the players come out for a full 60 minutes and the coaches adjust their strategy throughout the game.

Game 2 is huge. If Chatham wins, I think the series will go 6 games with Chatham winning. If Leamington takes game 2, than it’s over in 5 with Leamington moving on.
I'd say player for player, Chatham has more offense. However, the Flyers work their tails off and know what it takes to win.

It only takes a little skill, the rest is hard work and dedication.

And I'm only going by the scoring threat. Leamington is a better defensive team, hands down. If the coaching roles were reversed... Something tells me Chatham wins the league easily.

Just like Caledonia, take away Bullard and you take away the work ethic. Coaches don't get enough credit, IMO. :)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looks like the Flyers will escape Chatham with an even series. 6-3 late in the 3rd period.

Watched the game up until now. Chatham played good hockey... But that's not enough in the playoffs. Chatham played great until Leamington scored the first goal of the game. That should've been an indication to turn things up, not down.

I can't be upset with these kids though. A lot of first year players responsible for big workloads. But I hope the lesson has been learned here. The effort has to be there 100% for every second of every shift. Too many instances tonight where Chatham just took their time trying to make the little plays. That can't happen.

There was spurts where Chatham showed just how well they can skate with the Flyers. Use that for motivation in game 3. 60 minutes, and we should be alright.

Leamington is relentless with their checking and defensive minded play. That's something that can be credited to a season of very hard work. I thought the officiating wasn't bad tonight. A few cheap calls made both ways, but not bad.

Full credit to the Flyers, they got things done tonight, simple as that.

Chatham, you have the talent, watch some video of these two games and you'll see how the Flyers get rewarded for their hard work. You'll also be reminded that you get rewarded when you give it everything you have just the same.

Go Chatham! :D :D :D
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I also noticed Leamington can be dirty out there. I know Caledonia can be as well, just sayin. :)
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Good God the giveaways.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Terrible officiating tonight. Just brutal!