GOJHL Midget Combine

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

GOJHL Midget Combine

Post by RocketGirl »

The GOJHL is hosting a Midget Combine in April for prospective players.

http://overtimesportsnation.com/gojhl-midget-combine/
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Re: GOJHL Midget Combine

Post by Marcie »

It is an excellent idea and clearly an indication that the GOJHL is focusing its attention on developing younger talent. Commissioner Williams mentioned that in a recent radio interview with Chris Soares on myFM.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I thought it was interesting until I read it is first come first served. So if 20-25 house league players get in early enough they will be the ones the scouts will be watching as they clog up the ice in three 20-20-20 games. The league does scoop 27K for this so the question becomes, is this worthwhile or a cash grab? I was speaking with a couple of NHL higher level scouts on the weekend and the comment made about the OJHL (and Jr hockey in Ontario for that matter) are becoming just a pay to play leagues now. The OJHL is a league made up of players with the deepest pockets instead of most talent. Hopefully the GOJHL avoids going too far down that path.
Last edited by Oglethorp on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Oglethorp wrote:I thought it was interesting until I read it is first come first served. So if 20-25 house league players get in early enough they will be the ones the scouts will be watching as they clog up the ice in three 20-20-20 games. The league does scoop 27K for this so the question becomes, is this worthwhile or a cash grab? I was speaking with a couple of NHL higher level scouts on the weekend and the comment made about the OJHL (and Jr hockey in Ontario for that matter) are becoming just a pay to play leagues now. The OJHL is a league made up of players with the deepest pockets instead of most talent. Hopefully the GOJHL avoids going to far down that path too far.
I personally see nothing wrong with first come, first served.

The kids who want to work at making their hockey dream come true will be there very early. The cost is always an issue though.

We need to get a bunch of businesses donating the player fee's for a big tournament based on try-outs. Just thinking about how many kids with amazing talents never got their chance because their family couldn't afford the costs is really upsetting.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

From what I understand, it is a first come first served for those who got invited - via some sort of code at registration.