Battisti suspended 10 games

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

Battisti suspended 10 games

Post by flyers2011 »

LaSalle 02/15/16 DEL Battisti, Paolo (G) placed on league suspension for 10 games
End of a era in Leamington
Administrator

Re: Battisti suspended 10 games

Post by Administrator »

I know Lasalle lost their cool and all.....but perhaps the hot headed ref should have consulted with the other officials to see if the puck was intentionally shot at him. This punishment seems a little harsh for what was a net clearing puck out of frustration. I agree he should be penalized, but this is harsh.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Hot headed ref for sure, he has been involved in multiple incidents, one involving a coach getting a one year suspension because of his taunting. You would think the OHA would realize when things keep happening and its the same ref, maybe it isn't all the players. I agree Paolo should be suspended but maybe its time for this official to be look at by the OHA.
End of a era in Leamington
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm as shocked as anyone to see that it's 10 games. But as was just pointed out to me, and as indicated by the suspension list, Battisti had to appear before the disciplinary committee for a hearing about this incident. This is just speculation on my part, but maybe he said something to them that made them warrant giving him 10 games.

But this puts him out for the rest of regular season and the first 4 play-off games. Nothing against Billing, since I think he's actually a better goalie, but the Vipers have played Battisti more this season, and to have him out heading into play-offs and for 1/2 the first round, that's not good.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Battisti may have also been a victim of some of the media attention towards physical abuse of officals. Dennis Wideman just got 20 games for something he claimed was accidental. Battisti got 1/2 that. I think the OHA wants to send a message about abuse of officials and Battisti is the example being set.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

That would be a great example if he was actually physically abusing the official.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

He shot a puck in the refs direction and made contact. That falls within the description of physical abuse.
arcprohd

Post by arcprohd »

Sorry to see this happen. He was a force in the Sutherland Cup series against Caledonia last year.

He'll be a model player on his return in the second half of the first round of the playoffs. I wouldn't write off LaSalle just yet.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Oglethorp wrote:Battisti may have also been a victim of some of the media attention towards physical abuse of officals. Dennis Wideman just got 20 games for something he claimed was accidental. Battisti got 1/2 that. I think the OHA wants to send a message about abuse of officials and Battisti is the example being set.
My thoughts exactly.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

Looks good on him it was intentional and it was the right call on the play end of story maybe he will think twice before he pulls a stupid move like that again
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
Sunnydays

Post by Sunnydays »

flyers2011 wrote:Hot headed ref for sure, he has been involved in multiple incidents, one involving a coach getting a one year suspension because of his taunting. You would think the OHA would realize when things keep happening and its the same ref, maybe it isn't all the players. I agree Paolo should be suspended but maybe its time for this official to be look at by the OHA.

Hot headed ref... Battisti is kind of a hot headed goalie too... Not surprised by this
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Sunnydays wrote:
flyers2011 wrote:Hot headed ref for sure, he has been involved in multiple incidents, one involving a coach getting a one year suspension because of his taunting. You would think the OHA would realize when things keep happening and its the same ref, maybe it isn't all the players. I agree Paolo should be suspended but maybe its time for this official to be look at by the OHA.

Hot headed ref... Battisti is kind of a hot headed goalie too... Not surprised by this
I'd have to agree. That's been said about him a lot the last few years. Notably in the playoffs.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

From the GOJHL blog at Local Sports Report - with video of the incident.
http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2016 ... -incident/
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote:From the GOJHL blog at Local Sports Report - with video of the incident.
Wow.

I can't believe anyone would say that wasn't intentional. He looked right at the ref before looking at the puck as he fired it in his direction.

He got off easy.
Jr_fan

Post by Jr_fan »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Marcie wrote:From the GOJHL blog at Local Sports Report - with video of the incident.
Wow.

I can't believe anyone would say that wasn't intentional. He looked right at the ref before looking at the puck as he fired it in his direction.

He got off easy.
Wouldn't expect any less of a biased comment from you.

From what I see in the video is that he only looked up after he shot the puck, and that is questionable because the video is only 240p quality.

Very unfortunate, but you have to be held responsible for your actions. 10 games! No way, at the very least an unsportsman call, shouldn't have been any more severe than a gross
Port, you have been pretty good this year, but with playoffs coming I guess you have to get warmed up with your antagonizing posts.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I watched it twice and the goal was scored and he immediately fired the puck out of the net. It just happened to be in the ref's direction, whether that was intentional, I don't know, you'd have to ask Paolo.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

That's what I see too RG. You would have to ask Paolo, and he might not even know. I too am puzzled by the suspension being extended to 10 games. As you say earlier perhaps the meeting with the OHA didn't go well. Regardless, the Vipers looked like an inspired group last night playing the Flyers. it gives the talented Billing an excellent opportunity. The playoffs could be phenomenal this year.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Jr_fan wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:
Wow.

He got off easy.
Wouldn't expect any less of a biased comment from you.

From what I see in the video is that he only looked up after he shot the puck, and that is questionable because the video is only 240p quality.

Very unfortunate, but you have to be held responsible for your actions. 10 games! No way, at the very least an unsportsman call, shouldn't have been any more severe than a gross
Port, you have been pretty good this year, but with playoffs coming I guess you have to get warmed up with your antagonizing posts.
lol, It's the way I saw the video. I've left several posts on this thread without bias. Sounds like you're the one who's biased, he shot that puck, I saw it how I saw it. The league clearly agrees.

But thanks for coming out, and ignoring the actual biased comments that were left on this thread. :smt006
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

I find it hard to believe that we're now in the year 2016 and the video quality is that of the 1960's. We have smart phones that take better video. I know it was probably geared down to post on youtube, but damn.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

[quote="Administrator"]I find it hard to believe that we're now in the year 2016 and the video quality is that of the 1960's. We have smart phones that take better video. I know it was probably geared down to post on youtube, but damn.[/quote

Unfortunately the video quality won't get much better as long as they have to shoot through the white mesh that now surrounds most rinks in the west. Even with the distorted view to me it appeared that Battisti's head was facing the refs general direction right after the goal, he looks down and backhands the puck with authority in that same direction. He then looks again in that direction before turning to his water bottle takes a drink and slams it back on the net. Obviously he was pissed about the goal, but what we don't know is exactly where he was looking and who did he blame for the goal. His body language to me looks like he thought the refs delay of game penalty on him factored into the goal because if the net came off again. Depending on what was said in his interview if the OHA thought he was enraged about the call, the video could support the theory the it was deliberate, therefore increased over the minimum.

Having said that every game in Strathroy that I have seen this year the net is constantly flying off the moorings and the refs don't call it. The referee must have been very convinced that Battisti was taking the net off deliberately to make a call like that when a penalty was being killed.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

The nets in Strathroy come off SO easily. I swear a strong cross breeze would knock them off. Certainly the goalies for both the Rockets and their opponents take advantage of it, especially the Rocket goaltenders. It always baffles me that the problem isn't fixed, but maybe the Rockets don't want it fixed. After all, they do play half their games there. I'm sorry for the poor quality of the video, but playing it back on FastHockey and then videotaping it on your camcorder from your laptop and then uploading it on YouTube results in very poor quality, but it did give folks the opportunity to see it and have somewhat of an idea of what happened.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

The boy has been notorious for kicking nets off at least since pee wee. He's the master at this. Fact: he kicked the net off. Fact: he got called for it. Fact: he shot the puck out of the net after letting one past him on the pk. Fact: the puck he shot after the whistle hit the ref. Fact: you can't shoot the puck at the ref, ever. Fact: the league office called it like they saw it. Whether it is 7 games or 10 games, he shot the puck and it hit the ref and you can't do that. They make the call. Done. Get over it already. Sheesh.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Marcie wrote:The nets in Strathroy come off SO easily. I swear a strong cross breeze would knock them off. Certainly the goalies for both the Rockets and their opponents take advantage of it, especially the Rocket goaltenders. It always baffles me that the problem isn't fixed, but maybe the Rockets don't want it fixed. After all, they do play half their games there. I'm sorry for the poor quality of the video, but playing it back on FastHockey and then videotaping it on your camcorder from your laptop and then uploading it on YouTube results in very poor quality, but it did give folks the opportunity to see it and have somewhat of an idea of what happened.
Sounds like the nets they had in Stoney Creek(now Ancaster) There were screws that would hang out of the bottom of the posts when you tilted the net up. The guy who moved the nets would carry a power drill and drill the holes out after the ice was cleaned.

Then they'd slide the net over the holes and let the screws fall into them. One night the goalie leaned on the net between whistles and it slid right out of place. It was like there were no moorings on the nets at all. lol
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Marcie wrote:The nets in Strathroy come off SO easily. I swear a strong cross breeze would knock them off. Certainly the goalies for both the Rockets and their opponents take advantage of it, especially the Rocket goaltenders. It always baffles me that the problem isn't fixed, but maybe the Rockets don't want it fixed. After all, they do play half their games there. I'm sorry for the poor quality of the video, but playing it back on FastHockey and then videotaping it on your camcorder from your laptop and then uploading it on YouTube results in very poor quality, but it did give folks the opportunity to see it and have somewhat of an idea of what happened.
If there was a rule like icing where if the goalie was clearly the one taking the net off his team couldn't change change players the net in some barns would suddenly become more secure. An interesting stat might be what players are on the ice when the net gets dislodged. I have noticed a trend with a certain defence pair when under pressure on a team that I won't mention. Reality is taking the net off is a strategy used, shooting the puck off the glass and over. Get a fresh line out and a faceoff in your end. Better than giving up a goal.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I understand that Sarnia has tabled multiple times over the years to mandate that all pegs be similar to the ones that Stratford uses, which is basically small black PVC pipes that it takes a lot to move them. I've been told that the league is concerned about injury when players run into the net. If the net doesn't move, it could cause a lot of damage.
Queen of the GOJHL

Administrator

Post by Administrator »

In the old NHL days, the nets had 6 or 8 inch moorings, and it didn't move. So most players were smart enough not to run headlong into the net. Because the nets dislodge so easily now, players aren't afraid to run it and the goalie.
Qwerty wrote:They make the call. Done. Get over it already. Sheesh.
I don't think anyone was really "under it", just opinions being expressed. I saw what I saw and it's how I felt. I think the punishment was harsh, but I won't launch a petition or anything. LOL
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Marcie wrote:I'm sorry for the poor quality of the video, but playing it back on FastHockey and then videotaping it on your camcorder from your laptop and then uploading it on YouTube results in very poor quality, but it did give folks the opportunity to see it and have somewhat of an idea of what happened.
No need to apologize, I appreciate the video. No offence intended. :) (Pardon the pun.....re. Lasalle)
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I see that Battisti's suspension has been reduced to 7 games, so he'll be eligible to return for Game 2 of the 1st round.
Queen of the GOJHL

Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Interesting development.